Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Embargo on 991.2 Carrera (S) Breaks - What does it mean for 991.2 GT3? Think turbos..

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I think I read that it's 40lbs more than the outgoing 3.8. The block is lighter and stronger, it has no iron liners, a simpler intake plenum, and a couple other changes that lighten it, but then 2 turbos, plumbing, and intercoolers make up the savings and increase the net to ~40 over.
+44 lbs, or roughly a 10% increase for a 5% increase in power output.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:51 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Well said

Turbo is less reliable too but only on mid term so no warranty issues for VW

or in other words let's say in 10 years of usage by the owners
is more
probable to spend (a lot) for a turbo part replacement
while for manufacters is less probable to have during warranty issues vs a NA Engine

combine Carrera 2S (turbo) is more expensive as a new car
and cost less to PAG to squeze let's say 500hp from a turbo than a NA (exotic metallurgy not needed in a Turbo)

doping here.. you go faster at the beginning but the bill is huge

Wake up Pag where is the
1) electric Turbo?
2) seamless gearbox?

higher and higher pricelist (profit but no contents) but evolution ???
Old 09-16-2015, 05:00 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
The popular press loves the Tesla, sure. The auto press doesn't necessarily lionize Tesla unduly, IMO.

As for the battery deficiencies, the point I attempted to make is simple - battery tech is far less developed than internal combustion engine tech (NA or FI). It has already come quite far, and many automakers envision batteries supplementing their future high performance cars. Or do you think Porsche, Ferrari, and McLaren collaborated on their hypercars?
No, I don't believe they collaborated at all. In fact I find it quite interesting (and fully understand) why they all went in the direction they did. Unless you were asking a somewhat rhetorical question.

I just don't think batteries will ever be able to offer the energy density of gasoline, but I will probably be proven wrong someday. Technology marches on as they say...

Man I wish Porsche was reading this: If I had my choice for a future powerplant in a hypercar; say, the replacement for the 918. I would choose a NA engine > NA/Hybrid > Turbo > full Electric any day.

For complexity & reliability & cost of ownership overall - except for the full electric, which I could see as being very reliable, for a daily driver that is.

Note to Porsche: How 'bout you take some of them internals out of the GT3RS's engine (pistons/rods) and develop a NA Flat 12 - 8.0 Liter - take some block design cues from the 918's V8. Or stick that in the "FeFi".

What kind of numbers would that kind of engine make? I'll pay the fuel/CO2 penalty. Whatever it is. 'Cause a car that an engine like that is powering, should be special & expensive, and relegated to track duty and/or weekend drives.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:13 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Well said

Turbo is less reliable too but only on mid term so no warranty issues for VW

or in other words let's say in 10 years of usage by the owners
is more
probable to spend (a lot) for a turbo part replacement
while for manufacters is less probable to have during warranty issues vs a NA Engine

combine Carrera 2S (turbo) is more expensive as a new car
and cost less to PAG to squeze let's say 500hp from a turbo than a NA (exotic metallurgy not needed in a Turbo)

doping here.. you go faster at the beginning but the bill is huge

Wake up Pag where is the
1) electric Turbo?
2) seamless gearbox?

higher and higher pricelist (profit but no contents) but evolution ???
Porsche has been doing turbo cars for a long time. Reliability is very strong. My turbo is 12 years old with my only issues to date are a window regulator, new battery and alternator. Absolutely zero issues with the motor. The most common issues are boost leaks - typically difficult to resolve but not expensive part wise.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Embargo on 991.2 Carrera (S) Breaks - What does it mean for 991.2 GT3? Think turbos..

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Porsche has been doing turbo cars for a long time. Reliability is very strong. My turbo is 12 years old with my only issues to date are a window regulator, new battery and alternator. Absolutely zero issues with the motor. The most common issues are boost leaks - typically difficult to resolve but not expensive part wise.
You own a 996TT with a Mezger race engine,that's why! Let's see if the new engines come even close,or the old saying " they don't make'em like they used to " proves to be true.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:23 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
No, I don't believe they collaborated at all. In fact I find it quite interesting (and fully understand) why they all went in the direction they did. Unless you were asking a somewhat rhetorical question.

I just don't think batteries will ever be able to offer the energy density of gasoline, but I will probably be proven wrong someday. Technology marches on as they say...

Man I wish Porsche was reading this: If I had my choice for a future powerplant in a hypercar; say, the replacement for the 918. I would choose a NA engine > NA/Hybrid > Turbo > full Electric any day.

For complexity & reliability & cost of ownership overall - except for the full electric, which I could see as being very reliable, for a daily driver that is.

Note to Porsche: How 'bout you take some of them internals out of the GT3RS's engine (pistons/rods) and develop a NA Flat 12 - 8.0 Liter - take some block design cues from the 918's V8. Or stick that in the "FeFi".

What kind of numbers would that kind of engine make? I'll pay the fuel/CO2 penalty. Whatever it is. 'Cause a car that an engine like that is powering, should be special & expensive, and relegated to track duty and/or weekend drives.
It was a rhetorical question.

As for a 12 cylinder engine, I'd wager that we will never again see a 12 cylinder engine in a new car that costs less than $500K - top of the line Ferrari and Lamborghini series models and the once a decade Ferrari hypercars. All will be hybrid. The S Class/7 Series V12s are probably endangered and gone any day now.

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Originally Posted by neanicu
You own a 996TT with a Mezger race engine,that's why! Let's see if the new engines come even close,or the old saying " they don't make'em like they used to " proves to be true.
The turbo Mezger engine was refined over decades of use; the new turbo engine is entirely unproven in comparison, and much cheaper to build...
Old 09-16-2015, 06:34 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts

It was a rhetorical question.

As for a 12 cylinder engine, I'd wager that we will never again see a 12 cylinder engine in a new car that costs less than $500K - top of the line Ferrari and Lamborghini series models and the once a decade Ferrari hypercars. All will be hybrid. The S Class/7 Series V12s are probably endangered and gone any day now.

The turbo Mezger engine was refined over decades of use; the new turbo engine is entirely unproven in comparison, and much cheaper to build...
Aston will do it for less than $500K. It won't perform anywhere near a Lamborghini or Ferrari, but it will be a 12 cylinder nonetheless.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:40 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts

This thread is interesting and it makes me think about the new Ford GT which is using a 3.5l turbo V6 that will apparently make over 600hp with around 500 lb-ft of torque.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:47 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Aston will do it for less than $500K. It won't perform anywhere near a Lamborghini or Ferrari, but it will be a 12 cylinder nonetheless.
Since when will AMG be making a bespoke V12 engine for Aston Martin? Turbo V8s going forward
Old 09-16-2015, 10:27 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,788 Likes on 4,777 Posts

Since when will AMG be making a bespoke V12 engine for Aston Martin? Turbo V8s going forward
They won't even make one for Horatio Pagani.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:03 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

This is going to be like the 40-60s.....hey, here is a flying battleship, to SR71 to a moon landing. In 5 -10 years, electric will change everything. It is a superior way to deliver power in a controlled way - industrial robot precision. The big challenge is obviously heat and energy source - but solvable in a matter of single digit years. Turbos will be seen as the dark ages to enthusiast of 2020, and people will line up to buy Mezgers to wax nostalgically.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:13 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
Seems to imply for sure that there will be more GT3's in the next 2-3 years, unlike what many on RL have postulated. That's great news if true.
All they're talking about what Porsche will be producing in January. The factory cutover of the base 991.1 to the 991.2 is then. They'll still be producing the current 991.1 GT3, GT3 RS and TT/TTS.

It's even confirming later on that they're keeping quiet about the 991.2 GT3:
"But the way in the future more than the next two or three years concerning the GT models is not yet decided."

Of course it's decided, but not publicly announced...
Old 09-16-2015, 11:20 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
This is going to be like the 40-60s.....hey, here is a flying battleship, to SR71 to a moon landing. In 5 -10 years, electric will change everything. It is a superior way to deliver power in a controlled way - industrial robot precision. The big challenge is obviously heat and energy source - but solvable in a matter of single digit years. Turbos will be seen as the dark ages to enthusiast of 2020, and people will line up to buy Mezgers to wax nostalgically.
Or will it be like World Rally in the 80s? Improving technology brings exponentially faster cars, until suddenly it becomes clear that they are simply unusable... And we go back to driving cars designed for the roads we use them on?
Old 09-16-2015, 11:34 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,788 Likes on 4,777 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Or will it be like World Rally in the 80s? Improving technology brings exponentially faster cars, until suddenly it becomes clear that they are simply unusable... And we go back to driving cars designed for the roads we use them on?
You mean it's like electric, self-driving cars?
Old 09-16-2015, 11:52 PM
City
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
All they're talking about what Porsche will be producing in January. The factory cutover of the base 991.1 to the 991.2 is then. They'll still be producing the current 991.1 GT3, GT3 RS and TT/TTS.

It's even confirming later on that they're keeping quiet about the 991.2 GT3:
"But the way in the future more than the next two or three years concerning the GT models is not yet decided."

Of course it's decided, but not publicly announced...
The press keep confusing us! Interpretation is different so too the language barriers perhaps? I dont think Porsche motorsport are open about there ideas even to Porschr themselves. Different department different regulations etc etc.

Quick Reply: Embargo on 991.2 Carrera (S) Breaks - What does it mean for 991.2 GT3? Think turbos..