Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has run the stock brake pads on track(steel)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:00 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Who has run the stock brake pads on track(steel)

Use OEM pads with CI brakes, with raving brake fluid. Have 5,000 miles on the car including 9 tracks days, and just now have I replaced pads.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:28 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock pads are great. I ran them with SRF fluid and didn't have any issues. I use PFC11 pads now and prefer them. A bit better life, less dust, and NO noise on the street. I find them easy to modulate. May try the Ferados but not sure I want to give up the lack of noise on the street. The GT4 is so over braked - can't wait to hear your impressions.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:23 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Was riding with a student at COTA this weekend running irons and stock pads. We had trouble stopping consistently going into T12. It was fine the first couple of times, but then stopping became unstable - the car swayed from side to side, kinda like a 997 with a bad diff. Eventually it was fading everywhere - enough to throw off the driver's timing. I would not drive flat out with stock pads at COTA.
+1, glad I wasn't the only one and I'm driving a GT4. The first two laps were fine with a solid pedal, but then they would fade into T12 so I would back off a bit and then they would be back braking into T1. Maybe the high ambient temps were responsible, but I'm going to switch pads and fluid the next time out.

I experienced the side to side movement into T12 as well which made me back up my braking point..especially after the brake failure there earlier in the day.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:01 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
The stock pads are great. I ran them with SRF fluid and didn't have any issues. I use PFC11 pads now and prefer them. A bit better life, less dust, and NO noise on the street. I find them easy to modulate. May try the Ferados but not sure I want to give up the lack of noise on the street. The GT4 is so over braked - can't wait to hear your impressions.
Same here... I switched out to SRF and the stock pads worked well but switched over to Ferados (now when I stop at light in morning I wake up entire neighborhoods ha ha). Same as always the stock fluid is no good for heavy braking tracks.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Same here... I switched out to SRF and the stock pads worked well but switched over to Ferados (now when I stop at light in morning I wake up entire neighborhoods ha ha). Same as always the stock fluid is no good for heavy braking tracks.
Are the DS1.11 pads crazy loud all the time for you?
Old 09-01-2015, 03:01 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

I find the 991 GT3 Stock Pads and Iron Rotors work very well - far better than previous Street N/A and earlier Turbo models. I also replaced the OEM Brake Fluid with Castrol SRF.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:25 PM
GMP911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I just installed the DS1.11 and then bedded them in. They have been surprisingly quite so far - only a few mild squeals in the first 20 miles. I've read that they get noisy and can be quieted down with a few track style stops.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:41 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I was being a bit sarcastic but yes they are just more noisy than the stock pads unless you get some heat into them......around town and during slow stops they are like fingernails running across a chalkboard amplified by a megaphone. Other than that they are great!
Old 07-07-2016, 11:04 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

I coupled Ferrodo DS2500 with Giro Discs from Clark. Three days at Mid-Ohio with zero issues. The pads are pretty quiet on the street. Only an occasional short squeal when stopping.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:25 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 371 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
I have 2 light track days at TWS and 1 day at COTA on OEM pads and they're at about 75%. total of about 10k mi (mostly highway). They don't seem to have as much initial "bite" as I like. I have a set of Ferodos from Apex and will try them when the originals get to 50%.
I'm in the same camp, the brakes work fine, but I like more initial bite as well...
Old 07-07-2016, 05:32 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

KA motorsports above nailed it --
Old 07-07-2016, 06:18 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
I'm in the same camp, the brakes work fine, but I like more initial bite as well...
LOL, old thread. I got a little more used to the bite on the oem pads. I did a total of 8 days (5 tws+ 3 cota) and was at 50%. Pulled them and they had some light cracking.
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As per Spencer, RM21 and other above I have run the stock pads extensively and find them fine. I have since the beginning used Castrol SRF.

The limitations of the stock pad IMO are mostly longevity. I can get around 6 track days out of front pads and 13-14 from the rear. Part of the issue is tapering (the fronts). I have found once this pad gets below 40% it tapers to the bottom of the caliper very quickly and unless you catch this and flip the pads at 70% worn to get am extra day or two (more labour, cost and hassle) then the economics of running the stock pads starts to look poor when comparing to DS1.1 or RT RE10 where pad life is twice this, dusting is less and initial bite and release are better. I did try some Endless MX72 for two track days but got pad transfer and abandoned the (the compound was all wrong for the GT3 and ME20 would have been better but they are pricey). I have ponied up for the RTRE10 front and rear and think these will be at least as economical as the factory pad (last twice as long and cost twice as much) but far less maintenance (no pad flip or replacement pad labour to be charged for etc) and less hassle (I hate having to check my front brake pads regularly top and bottom from day 4 worried they will wear through and score a disc - my first set lasted 7 days as tapper was managed but my last set I was on a tour and didnt get to flip them and got to 5 days with probably a day left in them but changed them being conservative). Also I think the rotors will last lionger with more pad meat so the RT RE10 and similar pads that last longer will keep more friction material against the rotor for longer than getting close to the backing plate repeatedly with OEM.

A couple of caveats here - our tracks are smooth, tight and twisty, most of my track work its done between 70-92F ambient, I brake hard (typical braking averages on a lap would be 100 bar maxing 130 psi.

If I were OP I would run through the full set of factory OEM pads. They are good for the job and they are "free" with the car and kind on the rotors - they just dust up alot thats all...

all my 2c :-)
Old 07-07-2016, 07:58 PM
Joe731
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default stock pads

I pulled the stock pads before tracking and replaced them with Race Technologies RE10s. I was at Watkins Glen and the RE10s were shot, and I had another day to go, so I swapped in the stock pads, which at least in my RS were some form of Pagids).

The difference was night and day. I actually scared myself a little with the stock pads initially as they didn't stop anywhere near as well and required significantly more pedal pressure.

Now granted the Glen is generally hard on brakes as it has some hard high speed braking zones (downhill into turn one at the end of the front straight, 155 mph at the bus stop, downhill into turn 6), but still, the difference was very noticeable. I went back to new RE10s as quickly as I could get a set delivered.

With RE10s the car outbrakes just about anything else out there. I have run down 997 GT3s and noticed the biggest difference in performance to be in the brake zones where I can brake noticeably later and close distances quickly, even with known very good drivers. The car just stops sooooo well.

Quick Reply: Who has run the stock brake pads on track(steel)