Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lava Orange, Mexico Blue, Ultraviolet and Voodoo Blue Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:23 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Eduardo. Have you seen some of these medium blues in person to be able to offer a comparison between them? The photos vary a lot as you said.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:35 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Voodoo. Overkill on the wheels, front grills, and interior mixed with carbon. Could have looked better optioned differently.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 780 Posts

Wow, that's going to take more than a few % discount to move..

Over RS and TTS price and an old model in March..
Old 08-24-2015, 02:16 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for these pics and opinions! Any shots of the front of the UV car?

I really don't like clear tails, but they look right on UV
Old 08-24-2015, 02:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 780 Posts

The clears ruin it for me..
Old 08-24-2015, 03:50 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 3mph
Thanks Eduardo. Have you seen some of these medium blues in person to be able to offer a comparison between them? The photos vary a lot as you said.
I have not seen 'Arrow' in person - that is not an approved 981/991 color and was only done on the 918
which executed PTS under different criteria for their VIP customers.

In general, I am not too wild about 'Voodoo Blue'. We have so many historical/vintage blue colors to choose from - 'Mexico', 'Maritime', 'Edna',
plus the universally loved (although dating from the 1990's) 'Riviera Blue'. And hopefully soon they'll allow us to order via PTS 'Club Blau',
although I hear PCA is trying to keep (naturally) that color as an exclusive to that 60th anniversary model.

But if 'Voodoo Blau' has put a spell on you, by all means go for it.

But I urge anyone that is planning to do so to seek out a recent 'Voodoo Blue' 997, 991 or 981 and see it in person before you decide!

Originally Posted by STG991
Voodoo. Overkill on the wheels, front grills, and interior mixed with carbon. Could have looked better optioned differently.

One of the reasons I don't recommend deviated color on the wheels on my 991/981 'Custom Ordering' threads is that the wheels
are not painted at the factory. They are painted at the wheel manufacturer and then coated with an extra dose of 'clear' to protect
the finish from the corrosive effects of the brake dust, etc.

As a result, even if the wheel manufacturer was able to match perfectly well the 'Voodoo' on the wheels
(sometimes not the case with certain PTS colors), the extra clear - vs the single clear coat on the chassis
over the uni/solid color - will usually create a visually distinction between the two finishes.

Look at the photos again and you will see what I mean.

So in general, I don't recommend anyone order this option...to avoid the disappointment & hassle.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-24-2015, 04:03 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts
Default Lava Orange, Mexico Blue, Ultraviolet and Voodoo Blue Pics

For some reason I associate painted wheels matching with the body to be a really cool Porsche attribute. White with white wheels, red with red wheels… It may be over-the-top for some, but really cool to my eyes especially for a GT spec car. Having said that I think this guy with the blue car and all the blue partswent overboard.

I'm still in love with the paint scheme in my avatar, with the CEOs car in silver with red wheels and red accents… The Spiderman end up looking like this, but I will be doing it myself and not paying Porsche money for the privilege. White with red wheels spider, or silver with red wheels…
Old 08-24-2015, 04:14 PM
Zero911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
For some reason I associate painted wheels matching with the body to be a really cool Porsche attribute. White with white wheels, red with red wheels… It may be over-the-top for some, but really cool to my eyes especially for a GT spec car. Having said that I think this guy with the blue car and all the blue partswent overboard.

I'm still in love with the paint scheme in my avatar, with the CEOs car in silver with red wheels and red accents… The Spiderman end up looking like this, but I will be doing it myself and not paying Porsche money for the privilege. White with red wheels spider, or silver with red wheels…
Love the scheme in your avatar. I like contrasting paint on wheels.

For me the wheels matching the body color for bright colors (ie anything but black, gray, silver) is too much of that color. But love the contrasted/deviated look.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:16 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

that car with the matching wheels doesn't look voodoo...it looks Riviera Blue
Old 08-24-2015, 05:27 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

For some reason I associate painted wheels matching with the body to be a really cool Porsche attribute.
It's all personal taste, of course. But the absolute pinnacle of painted wheels on a Porsche occurred a while ago on the 1973 911 RS.
In my opinion, nothing since matches the simple yet stunning look of this color treatment for the wheels!

And I have seen individuals take their modern Porsches and create a 1973 effect with colored wheels which I think it's effective.
Here is example that an R Gruppe friend executed on his white 997 recently:

I'm still in love with the paint scheme in my avatar, with the CEOs car in silver with red wheels and red accents.
The bright colors painted wheels phase on the RS was only briefly on the 997 gt3 RS. And of those, it's the 'black trim' 'RS Green' and 'RS Orange'
of the 2007/2008 .1 gt3 RS that has become the most iconic symbol of the modern RS. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with 'Gloss Black' wheels
on your Porsche gt3/gt4 vehicle!

Many still consider the 'Orange', 'Gold' & 'Red' wheels of some of the .1 and .2 997 gt3 RS's rather garish...a bridge too far (like the famed
Arnhem bridge of Operation Market Garden).

Even if CEO Mueller chose his personal gt3, it's still 997 déjà vu!

Some critics fell strongly enough about the look to referred to them as 'clown' cars right here on Rennlist!

Not me. Although the red lipstick mouth on the .2 997 example above, plus the 'bordello red' alcantara interior on the .2 997 gt3 RS 4.0 LE

left me wondering if there was any meaningful adult supervision of the 'kids' with colored crayons employed by the design center at Weissach!

My dos centavos, for what it's worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-24-2015, 05:53 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Eduardo, that classic white with red 1972 RS color can be achieved with ordering a white car and regular silver wheels. After delivery, I can have the wheels painted red, and then pop in the center hub in silver. Some nice red Porsche stickers along the sides, and Voila', my RS Spyder want to be is finished.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:28 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
that car with the matching wheels doesn't look voodoo...it looks Riviera Blue
You know I agree, I saw this car and posted some pics, but the more I look at it I agree it doesn't look like Voodoo. My first thought was it is too light in color.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:32 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
You know I agree, I saw this car and posted some pics, but the more I look at it I agree it doesn't look like Voodoo. My first thought was it is too light in color.
Riviera has some white in it... like if someone took a cup of voodoo and mixed in some half&half creamer Mexico Blue somewhere in between Riviera and Voodoo.

When I first saw lava orange in person, it looked similar to Riviera in character. Meaning, it looked to me like someone took gulf orange or tangerine and mixed the half&half creamer in...
Old 08-24-2015, 06:49 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Crazy how different different lighting changes the colors. He sent me
another pic. Confirmed Voodoo.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:56 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

the car at san diego with the matching wheels?
no way
i think the dealer is wrong

seriously, if that is voodoo, that crazy... in all the pictures it looks SEVERAL shades lighter than voodoo...amazing...

Quick Reply: Lava Orange, Mexico Blue, Ultraviolet and Voodoo Blue Pics