Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's looking like rain at the track on Saturday. Thoughts on track days in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 10:53 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shahano
I love racing in the wet, but the stakes do go up. If I have one more thing to add above what everyone else has added, is that you need to be extra careful of the other people on track. If one person drives above his capability in the wet, you might be the victim so on top on what everyone said, really be careful of others in the wet.
I think he's just talking DE - racing in the rain is another level. Just the start is crazy as anything behind row 2 and you won't even see the green flag, and from that point on visibility behind a car you are trying to overtake and finding grip to overtake is very challenging. Then, late in the race you are more likely to encounter lapped traffic who are very conservative and quite often they try to do you a "favor" by getting off the dry line and putting their car right where you want to be! And most rain races seem to have varying conditions, such as very wet and drying or mostly dry and then wet.

To race in the rain you really have to know the track and be willing to just let the car skate with the confidence that it will grip up before you leave the track. You also have to experiment every single lap with the grip to make sure you are not leaving any pace on the table due to improving conditions, while not going off or crashing if conditions are deteriorating. It's an odd mix of aggression and yet being conservative enough to be sure you finish. Hugely satisfying, as horsepower is MUCH less important in the wet and in a mixed-class race group and very wet conditions it is very possible to win overall in a "slow" car.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:46 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'll be driving my cousin's 991 GT3 at COTA in a few. If my cousin's car behaves like mine, I may try turning the stability control off (in my car, not his!), but I'll wait until my roll bar and harnesses are installed before doing that, and would need to slow down initially before rebuilding my pace.
There should be zero need for you to reduce your pace without the TC/SC activated - assuming you are already driving smoothly so that you do not activate it.

IMHO the best way to learn to drive is by turning off all these aids and feel the full weight of the consequences. Then learn how to modify your technique to eliminate them. It may be frustrating at first, but you'll progress much faster and develop more feel.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
There should be zero need for you to reduce your pace without the TC/SC activated - assuming you are already driving smoothly so that you do not activate it.
That's what I assumed as well, and people tell me I'm fairly smooth (though it doesn't always feel that way to me). And a good pro racer who's tracked his 991 GT3 also told me it can be left on. OTOH, a friend who's one of the best drivers I know drove my car and felt what he considered excessive intervention during trailbraking (just as I do), and a few RL guys with a lot of track experience have had a similar complaint, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

In any case, I should clarify that I'm not talking about dramatic intervention with the car getting way loose, PSM lights going on, etc. It's primarily just pedal vibration during some (not all) trailbraking.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Some bumpy tracks are slower with SC on(most tracks).
Some smooth tracks it can help you sail through some fast corners to gain time.

No right or wrong, but I never turn it off unless I'm on a track where it slows me down or if it rains.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:32 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
That's what I assumed as well, and people tell me I'm fairly smooth (though it doesn't always feel that way to me). And a good pro racer who's tracked his 991 GT3 also told me it can be left on. OTOH, a friend who's one of the best drivers I know drove my car and felt what he considered excessive intervention during trailbraking (just as I do), and a few RL guys with a lot of track experience have had a similar complaint, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

In any case, I should clarify that I'm not talking about dramatic intervention with the car getting way loose, PSM lights going on, etc. It's primarily just pedal vibration during some (not all) trailbraking.
I leave it on at the track in my preped Cayman (same system) - it hardly comes on at all, I trail brake into 90% of corners and feel ABS often but not TC.

I had one TC instance yesterday where I came in too fast into a corner, got the car pitched in and started sliding into oversteer. I corrected with the wheel before the TC kicked in and all it really did was slow the car down maybe 8mph and bring the rear back into line. It probably would have looked a lot better if I had of left it off. That was the one instance in 4.5 hours of track time and it was on a corner I had been trying new lines, braking points etc all day.

I should add that I really didn't like the brake feel in the 991 GT3 on the track - maybe that's part of what you're feeling? It really just didn't feel right to me - way too firm, almost have to stomp on it.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^No problem but you need the right driving clogs..
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: It's looking like rain at the track on Saturday. Thoughts on track days in the rain?