Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Towing Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 04:49 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Towing Vehicle

After searching rennlist and other auto forums, I observed that a lot of people are towing their trailers using an SUV. My towing vehicles would be a 15 nissan pathfinder(5000 lb Tow cap) and GL450 (7700 lb tow cap). Obviously, this would be enough to tow an open trailer. But how many of you use an SUV vs a truck to pull an enclosed trailer ex jimglo, aerovault or trailex.

I am also interested to hear from those with an SUV towing an open one about their experience as a comment.

Of course, all considered trailer is balanced and within weight limitations
Old 07-11-2015, 08:47 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, my name is Charlie and I tow an enclosed trailer with an SUV.

I have an '09 Cayenne Turbo S and it is the best tow vehicle for my 20' enclosed ATC aluminum trailer that I have ever had. I have also towed the trailer with a F-250 Crew Cab diesel and for many many years with an Excursion diesel.

The two things the Cayenne lacks are wheelbase and weight. Other than those two, admittedly very important, towing stats, the Cayenne actually blows away the F-250 and Excursion for towing. In every other conceivable way, it is better: tires, suspension, brakes, power (Turbo S...), electronics, creature comforts, etc.

I put the ducking faces above because I know people will think I'm on a suicide mission and, frankly, I thoughtI would be too until a friend who towed a 24' enclosed with a Cayenne explained to me that he thought his Cayenne was the best tow vehicle he had ever had. So I tried towing my rig with his Cayenne and he was right!

Now, would I like to have a F-450 dually crew cab diesel to tow with? Sure. But in the world of compromises, I find my '09 Cayenne Turbo S to be an amazing tow truck. Its only problem is that towing my big tall square box makes it guzzle gas at an alarming rate, 7-8 mpg here in the Northeast with our up and down hill tows. It has limited range so constant refueling are necessary which can be a pita. The trailer is 20' but has the extra height and I had it designed with a very low door opening clearance height which jacked the trailer up more. You can see below it is very tall.

The one thing I have fretted about is tongue weight. I bought a tongue weight scale and my trailer is right at the limit of spec. I have removed my heavy toolbox and gone as light as practical to help with that (it also helps that I tow Cup cars that aren't as heavy as most street Porsches). Still, at max tongue weight, my Cayenne tows beautifully.

Here is my rig all loaded up and ready to go tomorrow (realtime pic!). I'm driving 500 miles up to Canada to practice at Mosport...

Experience: I have been towing race cars or DE cars since 1994 and migrated from open steel to open aluminum to this enclosed aluminum. I traded the Excursion when it had 220k miles and I estimate that ~100k of those miles were towing the below trailer around the eastern half of the U.S. (as west as Road America, as south as Sebring) and north in Canada (went Mosport to Nova Scotia and back to New Jersey many times).

Old 07-11-2015, 08:52 AM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Towing Vehicle

I towed an open trailex 7531 with my gt3rs. Total weight probably around 3900-4000 lbs with a 2009 MDX to Watkins Glen. The MDX max capacity was 5,000 lbs. It was fine even going up the steeper mountains. Would I have liked more power yes but I wouldn't say it wasn't doable or dangerous.

I now have an enclosed trailex but traded in the MDX for an Infiniti QX80 (the big ugly suv truck they sell). Max capacity is around 8,500lbs. I've towed 3x so far and no issues whatsoever. With all the gear (extra wheels & tools) I'm probably all in around 5,500-6,000lbs now

When I picked up the enclosed trailex the MDX seemed to have sway issues even though it was empty.

If you stick with an open trailer I would say either suv is fine. If you go enclosed use the GL450. I've seen folks tow enclosed trailers with it.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:40 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Use a Cayenne S with an open Trailex over very,very long distances. Have a GT3RS of a (much heavier) Mercedes SL500 on the back when I drop my wife's car in Arizona each Fall. No problems whatsoever.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:23 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman

Hi, my name is Charlie and I tow an enclosed trailer with an SUV.

I have an '09 Cayenne Turbo S and it is the best tow vehicle for my 20' enclosed ATC aluminum trailer that I have ever had. I have also towed the trailer with a F-250 Crew Cab diesel and for many many years with an Excursion diesel.

The two things the Cayenne lacks are wheelbase and weight. Other than those two, admittedly very important, towing stats, the Cayenne actually blows away the F-250 and Excursion for towing. In every other conceivable way, it is better: tires, suspension, brakes, power (Turbo S...), electronics, creature comforts, etc.

I put the ducking faces above because I know people will think I'm on a suicide mission and, frankly, I thoughtI would be too until a friend who towed a 24' enclosed with a Cayenne explained to me that he thought his Cayenne was the best tow vehicle he had ever had. So I tried towing my rig with his Cayenne and he was right!

Now, would I like to have a F-450 dually crew cab diesel to tow with? Sure. But in the world of compromises, I find my '09 Cayenne Turbo S to be an amazing tow truck. Its only problem is that towing my big tall square box makes it guzzle gas at an alarming rate, 7-8 mpg here in the Northeast with our up and down hill tows. It has limited range so constant refueling are necessary which can be a pita. The trailer is 20' but has the extra height and I had it designed with a very low door opening clearance height which jacked the trailer up more. You can see below it is very tall.

The one thing I have fretted about is tongue weight. I bought a tongue weight scale and my trailer is right at the limit of spec. I have removed my heavy toolbox and gone as light as practical to help with that (it also helps that I tow Cup cars that aren't as heavy as most street Porsches). Still, at max tongue weight, my Cayenne tows beautifully.

Here is my rig all loaded up and ready to go tomorrow (realtime pic!). I'm driving 500 miles up to Canada to practice at Mosport...

Experience: I have been towing race cars or DE cars since 1994 and migrated from open steel to open aluminum to this enclosed aluminum. I traded the Excursion when it had 220k miles and I estimate that ~100k of those miles were towing the below trailer around the eastern half of the U.S. (as west as Road America, as south as Sebring) and north in Canada (went Mosport to Nova Scotia and back to New Jersey many times).

^
I had the same set-up...CS, 20' Pace, 6Cup.
The downside to my Cayenne are the side mirrors. You can't see around a 20' enclosed w/ the factory mirrors.
Charlie, what mirrors do you use?
P
Old 07-11-2015, 10:38 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
^
I had the same set-up...CS, 20' Pace, 6Cup.
The downside to my Cayenne are the side mirrors. You can't see around a 20' enclosed w/ the factory mirrors.
Charlie, what mirrors do you use?
P
I just use the factory mirrors. Motoring down the highway I don't find it difficult to see the sides of the trailer for cars next to the trailer or anything. What I find difficult is backing up. So I avoid doing that as much as possible other than backing it down my driveway (not a trivial activity with trees, but I'm pretty good at the required technique after many years of practice.)
Old 07-11-2015, 10:57 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I just use the factory mirrors. Motoring down the highway I don't find it difficult to see the sides of the trailer for cars next to the trailer or anything. What I find difficult is backing up. So I avoid doing that as much as possible other than backing it down my driveway (not a trivial activity with trees, but I'm pretty good at the required technique after many years of practice.)
^
agree,
I prefer to use my 18' Featherlite open trailer...so easy to see what going on.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:11 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

I have no experience towing anything. Learning alot this past week. Now i wished i did not trade my RR supercharged as it had 9000 tow capacity. But now, i am unsure if i will get either an open or close trailer. For sure, i am eyeing the trailer 8450 due to its weight. But i do not want later to trade or sell it for an enclosed in a couple of months just because of other reasons.

BTW, whats the primary reason you guys change from an open to an enclosed trailer? Is the elements the only reason?
Old 07-11-2015, 11:22 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

I just want to track my cars. My GT3 was bought for that reason. And my scud is raring to breath everytime i bring her out. It is scary to think as the cars are more expensive than the tow vehicle and trailer so i want to match it(tow vehicle and trailer). Just thinking about the 3 hills i am going to pass to go to california i have chills thinking about it.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:08 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F450 for pulling this? MASSIVE OVERKILL. Hilarious. Eco F150 in tow mode on cruise at 80mph and forget the trailer is back there. Seriously? You must have TONS of money to throw around!!!!
Old 07-11-2015, 12:19 PM
AiRick
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 07-11-2015, 12:47 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Featherlite open and cayenne gts

Goes everywhere - I get more like 11-13mpg while towing
Old 07-11-2015, 01:16 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Featherlite open and cayenne gts

Goes everywhere - I get more like 11-13mpg while towing
With ur featherlite, do you use a race ramp to put ur GT3?
Old 07-11-2015, 01:50 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

The primary reason for me to move from an open to an enclosed trailer was that you can keep all of your tools, spares, etc locked up and the car inside the trailer when at home. I used to tow with a Cayenne GTS and the only issue was fuel mileage and almost constantly having to stop for gas. I switched to a diesel Q7 and it is a world of difference over the V8 Cayenne. Best move I ever made. Also, air suspension is great to have on your tow vehicle. I use mirror extenders for the enclosed trailer. It's easier switching lanes on highways. Didn't need them for the open trailer.
Attached Images   
Old 07-11-2015, 04:43 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

A trailer and tow vehicle is just the next part of the obsession (aka disease).

I skipped the open trailer and jumped to the 30' enclosed with A/C, towing with a 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel. I'm already planning an upgrade to a 1 ton RAM soon.

Mooty will tell you anything short of a 44' gooseneck is just a starter package.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Towing Vehicle