Sponsored by:

GT3 fire

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 02:26 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default GT3 fire

I'm reposting (sorry) this in case it's news to anyone here. Very unfortunate for the owners. Has anyone heard any more info about why this GT3 caught fire (just happened in May apparently)? There was some discussion earlier about a car having electrical problems--was that the same car?

Posted today on the regional RL Canada forum (originally from VWVortex):

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Wording:

From my hometown newspaper:

Central Germany/The Sticks: A Canadian couple wanted to fulfill themselves a dream: Pick up their new Porsche 911 GT 3 (almost 500 hp, 140,000 Euros) at the factory in Leipzig. After a mere 70 km (45ish miles) on the Autobahn A9 near Eisenberg, there's smoke in the interior. The wife stopped immediately on the breakdown lane. There they saw flames around the front wheel. The couple has no choice but to watch their dream car go down in flames. The fire department couldn't do anything but extinguish the fire in the burned out wreck. Besides the car, the roadway also damaged.

(I hate translating. I suck at it.)

http://www.thueringen-reporter.de/27...lammen-auf.htm

Update after further, extensive research (putting the right keywords into DerGuhgel.de:

The manufacturer Porsche suspects a problem with the car's electronics as the cause of the fire. Porsche spokesman Hans-Gerd Bode said the burned out car has been brought back to the factory to be examined by experts.

The car was picked up at the factory by Canadian buyers on Saturday, May 23rd. They wanted to tour Europe for a few weeks and then the car was to be shipped to Canada. They have received a replacement car for now, but will have to wait four to six months for their new GT3.

http://www.mdr.de/thueringen/ost-thu...tobahn102.html

Also, have I mentioned that I hate translating?
Old 07-09-2015, 02:30 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just realized it was the same car as posted by Selvatico earlier. https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-problems.html Anyone have any updated info on this?
Old 07-09-2015, 03:07 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Oh crap, that is sooooo heartbreaking! One may plan for a factory delivery once in their lifetime... I sure hope Porsche would pay for all of their trip and troubles and to get them a brand new one ASAP!
Old 07-09-2015, 04:25 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was posted a couple of months back and no one was hurt in the fire. Still not sure what was the cause of the fire.

Quick Reply: GT3 fire