Sponsored by:

Fashion Grey

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 07:48 PM
biglare
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Yup. They've been on my Do Not Do Biz With list since 2010. Rusnak has been on that list for far longer.

It's so easy for someone to say "Yeah, we have three offers at $30k over already, but we're holding out." If you press for proof, they'll say "Sorry, we have to protect our clients' identities" (rightfully so). As such, they can say anything they want in an effort con you.

Dealers like that, give the (few) good dealers a bad rep (just by being a "dealer").

Personally, I love Fashion Grey. Unfortunately, it's a tough color to capture well in photos, as it looks different depending on lighting, and gets washed out (or made too grey, too beige, etc.) if your white balance is off. There's a whole thread dedicated to Fashion Grey if you wish to see: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ey-thread.html

I agree with what you have stated about the dealer where this is Fashion Grey GT3 is at and I also agree with you about capturing the Fashion Grey color in photos. I have a Fashion Grey M3 that is only a couple of months old and every time I see it the hue is different. Every time I take a photo the color is different. That is what got me excited about the color originally!
Old 07-07-2015, 02:20 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Default 'Fashion Grey' BMW...

Originally Posted by biglare
I have a Fashion Grey M3 that is only a couple of months old and every time I see it the hue is different. Every time I take a photo the color is different. That is what got me excited about the color originally!
biglare: I have a few questions for you.

1) Can you tell us more about how you decided to custom order a 'Fashion Grey' BMW M3 to begin with?

2) Is there a history of 'Fashion Grey' at BMW?

3) Or were you, or whomever ordered this car, fascinated with the vintage/historic 356 Pre-A Porsche color (Modegrau) from the early 1950's?

4) And how difficult was it to order this color from BMW Individual?

5) Did you have to give them a sample of the color on a piece of metal?

6) How did you go about getting that sample paint?

7) Have you compared a modern 'Fashion Grey' Porsche with your 'Fashion Grey' BMW?

8) Can you post photos of your 'Fashion Grey' M3?

Thanks!

I believe the cost of PTS at BWW for the 3/4 series is $5000. I have seen photos of a M4 in 'Signal Green' (below), which curiously is also a Porsche & not a BMW historic/vintage color. Because that green color has been ordered previously by other customers, BMW allows anyone to order 'Signal Green' without asking for a sample of the paint! I have no idea what formula or color code of Porsche 'Signal Green' that color is suppose to represent. Love to compare it with my current 22S 'Signal Green' gt3 or my older W25 'Signal Green' factory original paint deck lid. Porsche has a third variation of 'Signal Green', color code 217, which I don't have.

Perhaps Graham R. will keep his BMW M4 'Signal Green' long enough for us to meet somewhere and see how close it matches at least two versions of Porsche's 'Signal Green'!

I am seriously considering a PTS BMW as my next DD.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-07-2015, 02:32 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

1) Can you tell us more about how you decided to custom order a 'Fashion Grey' BMW M3 to begin with?

2) Is there a history of 'Fashion Grey' at BMW?

3) Or were you, or whomever ordered this car, fascinated with the vintage/historic 356 Pre-A Porsche color (Modegrau) from the early 1950's?

4) And how difficult was it to order this color from BMW Individual?

5) Did you have to give them a sample of the color on a piece of metal?

6) How did you go about getting that sample paint?

7) Have you compared a modern 'Fashion Grey' Porsche with your 'Fashion Grey' BMW?

8) Can you post photos of your 'Fashion Grey' M3?

Thanks!
FYI, there are a few details posted by biglare in posts #74/76/149/153 in the other Fashion grey thread https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-thread-5.html, but I'd also be interested in hearing more details regarding the process from him.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:55 AM
biglare
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

1) Can you tell us more about how you decided to custom order a 'Fashion Grey' BMW M3 to begin with? I first saw the Champion Motorsprts color Man of Chile Grey GT3 and that started my research for the color. This led me to the older 356 models, which I absolutely love. Eventually, with the help of many Rennlist threads, I found the current Fashion Grey paint code.

2) Is there a history of 'Fashion Grey' at BMW? As to my knowledge there was no prior history of Fashion Grey on any BMW's, however I did not have to pay the developmental cost. This tells me that they must have made this paint at some point in time before but not sure if they ever actually painted a BMW in this color prior to my M3.

3) Or were you, or whomever ordered this car, fascinated with the vintage/historic 356 Pre-A Porsche color (Modegrau) from the early 1950's? My research led me to the older 356's which I fell in love with too. Yes, the Modegrau is what it was referred to previously, but it's actually on my paint code plate under the hood.

4) And how difficult was it to order this color from BMW Individual? It's not too difficult to order an Individual color from BMW... If your dealer has experience with BMW Individual or wants to take the extra time and effort to help. Luckily I have been working with BMW of Austin for my previous three M3's, 1M and X6M. They helped me with previously order an Individual color on my E90 M3, so this process was pretty much the same. The dealers have a regional ///M rep that contacts BMW Individual North America and gets their approval for the requested color. If this is a color that they have not previously made they will contact BMW Individual Germany to confirm if the color is approved or not. If approved BMW Individual North Ameria will set the price for your dealer. Standard MSRP for Individual colors is $5,000. If they have not previously made the color you, add roughly $2,400 for the additional developmental costs.

5) Did you have to give them a sample of the color on a piece of metal? No sample was needed. I only produced the paint code and a few Porsche example photos and after a few weeks the color was approved by BMW Individual Germany and BMW Individual North America.

6) How did you go about getting that sample paint? After my paint code was approved I had IND Distribution paint me a sample based on the same code. They painted a 8x10 swatch so I could see what the color would look like in person. When I received this swatch it was the first time I had seen the color in person and I LOVED it!

7) Have you compared a modern 'Fashion Grey' Porsche with your 'Fashion Grey' BMW? The colors on both the Porsche and my M3 appear to be the same. The Fashion Grey GT3 at Stvens Creek was in the showroom so we could not do the side by side comparison, but it looks extremely close if not dead on.

8) Can you post photos of your 'Fashion Grey' M3? See some photos below.

Thanks!

I believe the cost of PTS at BWW for the 3/4 series is $5000. I have seen photos of a M4 in 'Signal Green' (below), which curiously is also a Porsche & not a BMW historic/vintage color. Because that green color has been ordered previously by other customers, BMW allows anyone to order 'Signal Green' without asking for a sample of the paint! I have no idea what formula or color code of Porsche 'Signal Green' that color is suppose to represent. Love to compare it with my current 22S 'Signal Green' gt3 or my older W25 'Signal Green' factory original paint deck lid. Porsche has a third variation of 'Signal Green', color code 217, which I don't have.

Perhaps Graham R. will keep his BMW M4 'Signal Green' long enough for us to meet somewhere and see how close it matches at least two versions of Porsche's 'Signal Green'!

I am seriously considering a PTS BMW as my next DD.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Originally Posted by <3mph
FYI, there are a few details posted by biglare in posts #74/76/149/153 in the other Fashion grey thread https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-thread-5.html, but I'd also be interested in hearing more details regarding the process from him.

Hope all this helps. The interior was a lot more involved as it was not a leather color that they offered. Luckily for me the regional ///M Rep was able to source a blue leather that was approved by BMW Individual to be used in the M3. I then worked directly with BMW Individual Germany to design the two toned and contrast stitching panels. They would create interior renderings no then I would mark them up and they would then create new renderings. It was a 1-2 month process to finalize, but well worth it I think.

Here are some photos taken by Kirby Fong for HRE. They used one for a HRE ad in the July issue of BMW's Roundel magazine.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:07 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for that detailed explanation! Nice to compare how bmw does it. I believe it was a lot harder (than your experience) for many RLers on here to try and get their pts colour of choice, and many others wound up disappointed. Hope the Porsche pts program can improve over time to make the process better or at least more understandable and user friendly. Fwiw my dealings with Porsche exclusive for pts etc were quite smooth and easy (thanks in no small part to the huge amount of info on RL that was freely available to help me figure out how pts worked). Once again congrats on a spectacular car and good luck with the hunt for a gt3!
Old 07-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Thank you...

Thank you biglare. That is an exceptionally beautiful BMW Individual M3 you ordered. Enjoy it in good health and thank you for answering my questions with such detail.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Quick Reply: Fashion Grey