Modesta Coating

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 11:09 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts
Default Modesta Coating

Originally Posted by rm21
The finish looks awesome. One question I've been meaning to ask about the whole category of nano-coatings - if the coatings go on top of the xpel or other wrap, it seems like they aren't bonding with the paint, but with the wrap, which seems like it defeats the point. Wouldn't it be better to treat the paint, then have it wrapped? I'm not an expert in this area - just trying to understand the logic of the steps. I'm curious what others have heard about the ideal sequence.
There is potential that the film will only adhere to the coating and not the car. You could have issues. But it also could be fine. It does make the film look better.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:40 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My detailer works with the people who did my wrap. He applied the C Quarts Finest to the paint after correction and then again on top of the wrap after it was completed.

I now have 5K miles on the car and still looks like I just finished.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:58 PM
NYCone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have the MSD sheet? I'm curious as to what polymer the coating is.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:37 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Maritime car is awesome
Do us all a favor and get a professional photo shoot done ASAP !!!!
Old 07-05-2015, 03:17 AM
monkiboy48
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The Modesta coating (when cured) is a couple of microns thick layer of silica (glass). The silica bonds with your clear coat. It is not a sealant, but an actual layer of glass over your entire car. This is why it resists rock chips (not all, but definitely reduces the amount of them), unlike a sealant which is a hard shell, but not as hard as the Modesta coating.

Hope that helps all the questions when comparing Modesta to clear bras or traditional over the counter sealants.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by monkiboy48
The Modesta coating (when cured) is a couple of microns thick layer of silica (glass). The silica bonds with your clear coat. It is not a sealant, but an actual layer of glass over your entire car. This is why it resists rock chips (not all, but definitely reduces the amount of them), unlike a sealant which is a hard shell, but not as hard as the Modesta coating. Hope that helps all the questions when comparing Modesta to clear bras or traditional over the counter sealants.
I think we should call you Modestaboy48 :-p

Seriously this is all brainwashing - this nano nano silver nitrate stuff. Car has paint to protect steel from rust, paint has clear coat/lacquer to protect paint from contaminants. Now we have softer plastic skin over it to protect the lacquer from rocks. Now we must seal the plastic protection film with nano stuff to protect the surface from UV, dirt, Warner marks. Does it ever stop? I understand now why this is a billion dollar industy!!

Seriously, life is short, seize the day - just drive and enjoy the car, drive it and make it part of your life. The natural ageing is called patina and will actually add to the value of the car over time :-)
Old 07-05-2015, 01:51 PM
monkiboy48
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I think we should call you Modestaboy48 :-p

Seriously this is all brainwashing - this nano nano silver nitrate stuff. Car has paint to protect steel from rust, paint has clear coat/lacquer to protect paint from contaminants. Now we have softer plastic skin over it to protect the lacquer from rocks. Now we must seal the plastic protection film with nano stuff to protect the surface from UV, dirt, Warner marks. Does it ever stop? I understand now why this is a billion dollar industy!!

Seriously, life is short, seize the day - just drive and enjoy the car, drive it and make it part of your life. The natural ageing is called patina and will actually add to the value of the car over time :-)
Haha, maybe. This is my first 'real' sports car in the six figures so I wanted to protect it and minimize the time required to keep it looking good. I researched all the various films and coatings and decided on this one after seeing examples of my installers work side-by-side with a car without Modesta.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:16 PM
PeteyDaddy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Modesta Coating

Originally Posted by WSH
Maritime car is awesome
Do us all a favor and get a professional photo shoot done ASAP !!!!
Thanks! I plan on it!
Old 07-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by monkiboy48
Haha, maybe. This is my first 'real' sports car in the six figures so I wanted to protect it and minimize the time required to keep it looking good. I researched all the various films and coatings and decided on this one after seeing examples of my installers work side-by-side with a car without Modesta.
Hi mate. Excuse my jest, it was a bit tongue in cheek. Im often controversial on the boards talking plastic film wrap and the like :-)I understand the desire to protect ones asset. Anyway, as always interested to learn about new tech/products. Let us know how the coating wears...
Old 07-07-2015, 06:18 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a coating on my C4S but didn't go with it for the GT3. You're gonna end up with swirls on the coating eventually. At that point you need to polish and reapply the coating, whats the point. It's better to just get your paint cleaned up a couple times a year.

Quick Reply: Modesta Coating