Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your trick to remove that tire crap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 06:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

So for all of you that are recommending products that remove rubber marks easily, are you referring to removing marks from painted parts or from the vinyl shields ahead of the rear wheels that the OP shows in his pics?

Mother's R3, and a number of other products, work fine for me on the painted surfaces, but getting rubber cone scuffs off of the vinyl is a real bitch, and I've tried almost everything; polishes, waxes, specialized solvents, you name it. It's like the scuff becomes impregnated into the vinyl and simply won't come off without a lot of elbow grease (or a buffer). If there really is a miracle solution, I'll buy it....
Old 06-14-2015, 06:16 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
So for all of you that are recommending products that remove rubber marks easily, are you referring to removing marks from painted parts or from the vinyl shields ahead of the rear wheels that the OP shows in his pics?

Mother's R3, and a number of other products, work fine for me on the painted surfaces, but getting rubber cone scuffs off of the vinyl is a real bitch, and I've tried almost everything; polishes, waxes, specialized solvents, you name it. It's like the scuff becomes impregnated into the vinyl and simply won't come off without a lot of elbow grease (or a buffer). If there really is a miracle solution, I'll buy it....

Vinyl is harder than nicely waxed paint, but the stuff I linked to works pretty well for me on vinyl.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Vinyl is harder than nicely waxed paint, but the stuff I linked to works pretty well for me on vinyl.
Beg to differ here. Paint with lacquer on steel is harder than vinyl...
Old 06-14-2015, 09:43 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,334 Likes on 572 Posts

I've used Tarminator and it works like a charm.

The rubber marks are from tracking the car. Tarminator takes it off easily whether on the Xpel clear film or the paint.

Does not harm paint or clear film. Spray on. Wipe off. Turned several friends onto it. Easily found at auto supply stores.

A friend (and chief instr at the track) uses brake cleaner. His car does not have clear film. He uses brake cleaner on the paint. He says it works great with no ill effects but I won't put brake cleaner on my paint.

Here's a link to Tarminator which is also available at other internet and brick/mortar stores:

http://www.stonercarcare.com/Product...minatoraerosol
Old 06-15-2015, 02:53 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,157 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

more than 3/4 of my car are covered with 3m film. I only have one streak that Zaino AIO cannot take out in less than 20 seconds with a buffer. Mothers r3 was quicker on superficial stuff but left more deep stuff behind. But paint is so much easier to keep clean and shiny, that I'm conflicted about having so much clearbra coverage.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:07 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
A friend (and chief instr at the track) uses brake cleaner. His car does not have clear film. He uses brake cleaner on the paint. He says it works great with no ill effects but I won't put brake cleaner on my paint.
Heard the same thing and read the warnings about that stuff. One I was told by others at the track and used so myself is gasoline. Just a little dabbed onto a towel, old t-shirt, etc with a little bit of elbow grease.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:39 AM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PierreTT
This is from track duty
Hot rubber is flying all over the place...
i get it and i haven't tracked my car. just regular street driving.

its always there when i wash the car.especially in front of rear fenders where the film is. im glad i removed the factory film and put extra coverage there.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:51 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mothers R3 works great on paint and clear bra . But i had a tough time removing track tire marks off factory clear bra compared to Suntek. But at this time , R3 is the best solution i have found.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:12 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Griot's Bug Barricade before track time and Griot's Bug & Smudge Remover after.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:32 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 203 Posts

Star brite Black Streak Remover
Old 06-15-2015, 05:40 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I still use Dri Wash
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2015, 07:27 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

I just received a bottle of PF1 TTR and it worked pretty well... got rid of almost all of the tire marks that have accumulated on the clear bra in the last 5 months from autocross and track days.

At $40/bottle it's not cheap but it does a good job.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:19 AM
jackippo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My film installer recommended Turtle wax Bug &Tar Remover. I thought he was joking but he was not. Works like a charm on my clear bra after track duty! The cheapest and best so far......One other note, best prices for it are at Home Depot!
Old 05-30-2019, 11:12 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

Get a set of the Magnagrafik protectors. That area will soon develop a lot of chips/marks if you track the car.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:19 AM
jackippo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Get a set of the Magnagrafik protectors. That area will soon develop a lot of chips/marks if you track the car.

Got em! They are a must have for driving on track!

Quick Reply: What is your trick to remove that tire crap?