Sponsored by:

Garage Project w/Lift and RaceDeck

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 09:19 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
Just remember this all------the lift has to come UP off the locks a few inches before it can come DOWN
Cheers!
Anyone know how much to go up before the locks can be releases?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:57 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Anyone know how much to go up before the locks can be releases?
Each jump is 4"
Old 06-24-2015, 10:04 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by awew911
Each jump is 4"
Yes, but how far up to you have to go before you can release the locks. If you went up 4" you'd be on the next lock, right? So to release, do you need to go up 1"? 2"? I ask because in one configuration of cars, I might not have more than 2" clearance.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:38 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Yes, but how far up to you have to go before you can release the locks. If you went up 4" you'd be on the next lock, right? So to release, do you need to go up 1"? 2"? I ask because in one configuration of cars, I might not have more than 2" clearance.
That is a good point.

You need to go up about an inch or so to take the pressure off the lock and so that it can clear the ladder when pneumatic is activated.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:18 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 150 Posts

I ask because in one configuration of cars, I might not have more than 2" clearance.
I would say that is much too close for comfort. The lift is not that precise an instrument, your vantage point will be at least 6' away, and your viewing angle from the control unit will not provide any confidence.

You need extra clearance both on the way up and on the way down. You bring the car up past the locks, then back down to rest on them.

OP, how is the pressure holding?
Old 06-25-2015, 08:04 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Bendpak sent me the wrong item (hose kit instead of air bottle). When I do get it, I'm also going to modify it by adding a valve in line to help minimize pressure loss.

I'll post the results once I get it and install.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:57 AM
991 GT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did something similar as you. I got a lift for my RS4.0 and my 991 GT3. I didn't bolt to the floor and it is extremely stable, anchoring isn't necessary unless you are absolutely positive you will not want to move it/slide it over or around a bit etc. I got casters and I can roll my lift in the garage if I need to for a variety of reasons. I am very glad I did not anchor and love the option to move the lift for any number of future options down the road. I also got a 4 post 9k lift and lifted my garage door exactly as you have done.

Originally Posted by awew911
The lift sits on the racedeck. will be bolted to the floor using red heads. It is to provide me with a way to stack cars and do maintenance as well.

I'm not worried about stability. the 4 post unit supports 9,000 pounds. The RS is well below that and if something ever happens, that is what insurance is for. I'm more worriednabout being rear ended by a distracted driver than anything else.

If one has the room for it, it is a great solution.

Thanks for all the compliments.

Ill post pics of the lift once i install it in a couple weeks. just installed one at my buddies house a couple weeks ago. He keeps his 64 lincoln above his 15 cayman gts.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:53 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 GT3
I didn't bolt to the floor and it is extremely stable, anchoring isn't necessary unless you are absolutely positive you will not want to move it/slide it over or around a bit etc.
I agree; mine is not bolted and perfectly stable. I will not be moving mine, but it is not advisable to anchor it in earthquake country.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:39 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991 GT3
I did something similar as you. I got a lift for my RS4.0 and my 991 GT3. I didn't bolt to the floor and it is extremely stable, anchoring isn't necessary unless you are absolutely positive you will not want to move it/slide it over or around a bit etc. I got casters and I can roll my lift in the garage if I need to for a variety of reasons. I am very glad I did not anchor and love the option to move the lift for any number of future options down the road. I also got a 4 post 9k lift and lifted my garage door exactly as you have done.
Since mine fits into a single bay slot, if you will, I don't have any ability to move it around.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:39 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

I would say that is much too close for comfort. The lift is not that precise an instrument, your vantage point will be at least 6' away, and your viewing angle from the control unit will not provide any confidence.

You need extra clearance both on the way up and on the way down. You bring the car up past the locks, then back down to rest on them.
Yup, I'm familiar given my current asymmetric lift, but your advice is still very much appreciated. It just means I will be stacking 911s as with the OP instead of the tall BMW+911 combo. ;-)
Old 06-27-2015, 02:59 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Exactly. Remember your garage floor is likely sloped a bit. Most important thing before putting a car on it, other than measuring clearances, is to put the lift up, and adjust the large bolt on top of each of 4 posts to adjust ladder, in order for the locks to engage and disengage ALL about the same time and not sequentially, otherwise you will be even more unsure about clearances. I know this from experience where I thought all were engaged, yet one corner actually was not. All the snapping noises at the same time. Good luck, looks really nice with the two cars on it, and you can also work on it. Really cool.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:28 PM
gunnyosu
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got some serious garage envy, great job!!!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:51 AM
991 GT3
Racer

I purchased extended ramps and it came with identical ramps you have. The extended ramps allow for a more gradual grade increase in case you have clearance issues or a future car sets lower. I also back my car on to the lift and I can raise higher and no interference with the garage door. You did a great job and it looks awesome-enjoy in good health....

Quick Reply: Garage Project w/Lift and RaceDeck