Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Project w/Lift and RaceDeck

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

That was a major project. It looks great! I can't wait to see the lift.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:30 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Wow, makes me want to do my garage. Do you have a 2-car or 3-car garage?
It's a 3 car garage. Above it is a room that is about 800 sq ft. Was way to big for anything other than a rec room or home theater. The truss design used the floor of the upstairs room as part of the lower member. So raising the floor 16" change the loads on the supporting structure.

It was an ambitious project, but I figured they took a few guys, stuck them on the tip of a rocket, sent them to the moon, they landed, drove around, got back in the lander, and came back home. Surely, they could raise my ceiling. The man on the moon mission pretty much screwed it up for just about any challenge.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:36 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 89 Posts

That turned out great!
Old 06-12-2015, 12:17 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2015, 10:18 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
The lift sits on the racedeck. will be bolted to the floor using red heads. It is to provide me with a way to stack cars and do maintenance as well.

I'm not worried about stability. the 4 post unit supports 9,000 pounds. The RS is well below that and if something ever happens, that is what insurance is for. I'm more worriednabout being rear ended by a distracted driver than anything else.

If one has the room for it, it is a great solution.

Thanks for all the compliments.

Ill post pics of the lift once i install it in a couple weeks. just installed one at my buddies house a couple weeks ago. He keeps his 64 lincoln above his 15 cayman gts.
The garage looks awesome. I like your design better than what I did in mine with Racedeck. I really like the red divider between the cars. Congrats on the new changes!

I am interested in seeing how the lift does sitting on the flooring. I would cut the tiles around the lift post with the posts mounted directly to the floor. I have attempted to jack up a car on the tiles with a floor jack before and the jack left marks in the tile. I know they advertise they can handle the pressure but I haven't seen this with my experience yet. My fear with placing the lift on the tiles is they will crack/break over time and use allowing the lift to move or shift slightly.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:43 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
The garage looks awesome. I like your design better than what I did in mine with Racedeck. I really like the red divider between the cars. Congrats on the new changes!

I am interested in seeing how the lift does sitting on the flooring. I would cut the tiles around the lift post with the posts mounted directly to the floor. I have attempted to jack up a car on the tiles with a floor jack before and the jack left marks in the tile. I know they advertise they can handle the pressure but I haven't seen this with my experience yet. My fear with placing the lift on the tiles is they will crack/break over time and use allowing the lift to move or shift slightly.
Thanks for the compliments. I'm sure you can pick up a few tiles and swap them out.

The cracking is valid consideration. Racedeck recommends placing the jack right on the tile, but I am considering cutting them to fit the lift pads. The lift weighs 1200 pounds + 3200 pound car = 1,100# per pad. At 120 Sq inches on each pad, that's only 9 pounds per Sq in. I know people have posted on garage journal that they have had theirs in place on top of the tile for 10 years with no issues.

So I'm conflicted right now.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:21 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beautiful job! Yes, LVL can get really heavy! My garage addition required 16" x 3" LVL for a 16' roof span.....painful to say the least. Love how your race deck came out. I need to do the same this summer. I would cut it around the lift. That stuff expands and contracts. The lift will pin it.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:20 PM
Motoki
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love it, well done, you made very good choices. Have gotten my wheels spinning.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:56 PM
dntlvet
Pro

I'd very pleased with that as well.
PM
Old 06-12-2015, 07:34 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Race Deck is made for to support the lift on top of it. Directly asked the company and it was talked about on TV also. So what if they crack? They are inexpensive, just pop a new one in place( yes it is possible and relatively easy to change even in the middle of the floor.. Also if he wants to move his lift with the available mobile attachments, it needs to be above the tile.

I would make the suggestion you pay extra and get the much lighter aluminum ramps, they are a much better solution, and can easily be hung on the wall. I have had such a lift for over 6 years.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:52 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
Race Deck is made for to support the lift on top of it. Directly asked the company and it was talked about on TV also. So what if they crack? They are inexpensive, just pop a new one in place( yes it is possible and relatively easy to change even in the middle of the floor.. Also if he wants to move his lift with the available mobile attachments, it needs to be above the tile.

I would make the suggestion you pay extra and get the much lighter aluminum ramps, they are a much better solution, and can easily be hung on the wall. I have had such a lift for over 6 years.
Thank you. I saw they are rated for something like 10,000 psi. I think 9 psi is well below max.

Giod point on the aluminum. The steels are crazy heavy. I ordered the extended aluminum ramps to help me with front of RS.

I'm stoked.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:59 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
Thank you. I saw they are rated for something like 10,000 psi. I think 9 psi is well below max.

Giod point on the aluminum. The steels are crazy heavy. I ordered the extended aluminum ramps to help me with front of RS.

I'm stoked.
Race deck supports lift "NO PROBLEM" at all.
for extended drive on ramps look at RaceRamps.com
http://www.raceramps.com/vehicle-lift-ramps.aspx
lighter that the aluminium
Old 06-12-2015, 11:07 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't doubt it can support the lift, but what about expansion and contraction? Setting a 1200-2000 lb lift will pin that point.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:47 PM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 59 Posts

Love your commitment! Nice remodel!
Old 06-13-2015, 12:11 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I don't doubt it can support the lift, but what about expansion and contraction? Setting a 1200-2000 lb lift will pin that point.
Correct that it may pin that point. Assuming linear expansion and sufficient gap (1/3 - 1/2" around the outside), and it being 100 degrees or so outside, I don't expect much expansion over the rest of the summer.

If there is expansion, the stresses will be between the 4 posts linearly and possibly in the center.

From everything I've read at garagejournal.com, as well as what the manufacturer recommends, I'm going to put it on top. End of world scenario I get buckling, and if that's the case, I can always cut and remove the tile from underneath.

Quick Reply: Garage Project w/Lift and RaceDeck