Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 04:43 PM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
Looks like thermostat issue. Part not in stock. :-(
Same here.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:13 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?

Car all good now. Thermostat replaced. Car at dealer for 6 days. Sat-Friday.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:59 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 295 Posts

Adding my experience from this weekend (2015 with 9500mi and only 5 track days)- tracked the car at COTA Sat, everything fine. Driving to track early Sun AM, had coolant temp sensor failure message. Coolant/oil temps indicted low temps - coolant was about 145F. I thought perhaps a sensor failed and temps incorrect. At track drove around the paddock and message was gone and temps looked normal. Out on track next session all temps normal. max coolant temp 200F. Ambient temp near 100F. Car ran fine rest of the day.

This morning driving home to Houston got "Engine control fault ok to drive". Again indicated temps very low driving 60 -75 mph with ambient temp of 80F. In stop and go traffic temps increase to normal range. I suspect thermostat problem but who knows. Can't get to dealer until next week and will post a follow up then.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:03 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well on the bright side, it appears the thermostat ends up stuck open. That is far better than stuck closed.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:57 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Adding my experience from this weekend (2015 with 9500mi and only 5 track days)- tracked the car at COTA Sat, everything fine. Driving to track early Sun AM, had coolant temp sensor failure message. Coolant/oil temps indicted low temps - coolant was about 145F. I thought perhaps a sensor failed and temps incorrect. At track drove around the paddock and message was gone and temps looked normal. Out on track next session all temps normal. max coolant temp 200F. Ambient temp near 100F. Car ran fine rest of the day.

This morning driving home to Houston got "Engine control fault ok to drive". Again indicated temps very low driving 60 -75 mph with ambient temp of 80F. In stop and go traffic temps increase to normal range. I suspect thermostat problem but who knows. Can't get to dealer until next week and will post a follow up then.
To close out- it was the thermostat. Dealer replaced, car runs fine and temps back to normal.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:19 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
To close out- it was the thermostat. Dealer replaced, car runs fine and temps back to normal.
I can also report that I had the engine fault and warmup problems, and that replacing the thermostat fixed those problems.

More interesting though is that two other problems that concerned me were also cured by the thermostat replacement.

First, upon a stone cold start, the engine would run rough and then it would always die after about 5 seconds. On subsequent restarts it would still run rough but at least would keep running.

Second, the muffler sounded muted at mid and high rpm ranges.

Both of the above were cured by the thermostat replacement.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:45 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,526 Likes on 2,576 Posts

I had two recent "check engine, reduced power" warnings (or wording to that effect), both in high-speed turns.

One was in my cousin's GT3, and apparently due to tracking the car a few laps with oil at minimum level. Warning cleared after restarting the car.

The other was in my GT3. Fuel was almost out (don't worry, I was checking the fuel gauge, and trying to get just another lap or two). Warning again cleared after restarting the car.

The warnings themselves weren't biggies, and I appreciate the car protecting itself, though loss of power mid-corner of high-speed turns was a bit disconcerting.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had a second warning "temperature faulty ok to drive on" recently. The first warning never reappeared again till just now so the dealer has yet to place the thermostat. I have a track day on Sunday and will have the work done after that. The way to get it working again I found is to run the car in low gears in manual at reasonable speeds to get it heated up nice then stop and cycle the ignition. The warning then goes away and normal service resumes. I had my Aim/smarty calm connected while it happened on a long drive home from the track and after I could review the data and see that the water temp hovered around 38c and took ages to get to 50c!!

I also have the rougher idle now on cold start (feels like it will stall initially) along with slightly different exhaust sound. Fascinating but now Ivan mentions it I can confirm I feel the same and no doubt its all freaked to the same fault.

Almost 9000 miles now with almost 1000 on track but she still gobbles 500ml of oil at the track and when run hard loves to drink fuel. Oil low warning light cam on beginning of last session but it did not retard the cars performance (in fact put in my fastest lap of the day!!).

Really enjoying the car still. Gearing it out on the track reminds me what an awesome all round package this car is!
Old 11-09-2015, 12:55 PM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine is in the shop 2 weeks in a row (after they said it was fixed the first time) with the same P2181 error code...

2015 model.

Quick Reply: "Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?