Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 07:44 PM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Orthojoe -

Stab in the dark of generic codes, however, I am curious if in the 24 hrs prior to your P2181 registering, did you jack the car? I am wondering if it is coolant sloshing or forming bubbles that affects the coolant sensor function.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:18 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default "Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?

Originally Posted by neuroguru
Orthojoe -

Stab in the dark of generic codes, however, I am curious if in the 24 hrs prior to your P2181 registering, did you jack the car? I am wondering if it is coolant sloshing or forming bubbles that affects the coolant sensor function.
I don't believe so. It's been a while. The car has been up and down multiple times since, though, and the code has never returned.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:17 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,551 Likes on 2,585 Posts

Seeing this thread reawakened, thought I'd mention that I've put thousands of miles on the car since getting that code, and the code never came back.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:49 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I checked the coolant level when the engine finally cooled and it was reading low. They must have underfilled at the factory or dealer. It has under 5k miles and no leaks. I added distilled water and no recurrences yet after another hour of driving.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
I checked the coolant level when the engine finally cooled and it was reading low. They must have underfilled at the factory or dealer. It has under 5k miles and no leaks. I added distilled water and no recurrences yet after another hour of driving.
My car popped the engine control fault on me yesterday and, as it's a perfect day for driving (and dealer is not open), am looking to solve this ASAP. Curious as to why would you add water instead of coolant?
Old 08-23-2015, 11:52 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts
Default "Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?

Originally Posted by Napoli
My car popped the engine control fault on me yesterday and, as it's a perfect day for driving (and dealer is not open), am looking to solve this ASAP. Curious as to why would you add water instead of coolant?
Mostly because it is accessible to you right now in your situation. The concentration of coolant/water needs to be 50/50. The dealer sells concentrated coolant that needs to be mixed with distilled water and brought to a 50/50 mix.
It is very important to use distilled water and not sink water. Since you probably only need to add a small amount,adding distilled water won't make any difference in the percentage of 50/50 mix found in your coolant system at the moment.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:55 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Napoli
Curious as to why would you add water instead of coolant?
Short answer is it is easy to do and doesn't involve fluids that you would worry about falling on your paint or on the floor where your pet might lick it up. When just adding a bit, distilled water is the easiest/safest.

Long answer is it is super complicated, at least for my mind. Although coolant has a higher boiling point, it has a much worse heat capacity. I haven't sat and done the math to figure out ratios, but I suspect for summer driving you could run almost entirely (distilled!) water or at least a very aggressive water to coolant ratio and be okay (you do want coolant's anti-corrosion properties). The ratio specified by Porsche for GT3 Cups is one gallon coolant and the rest water. Thus far more water than coolant, not close to 50:50 (off the top of my head, the ratio approaches 80:20 water: coolant). That's for a car that isn't expected to freeze but otherwise is running at intense usage and thus heat generation.

The 50-50 ratio we use normally is to balance cold and hot since just about none of us drain our systems with the change of seasons and water freezing in the engine block is "bad".
Old 08-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Napoli
Racer

Great answers, guys. Thanks.

I just went to check my coolant level and the ball is sitting at minimum, which makes no sense to me. Why would I get an engine control default as opposed to a coolant level warning? And, since there is no detectable leak, why is it at minimum? Or, maybe I do have a leak?
Old 08-29-2015, 10:19 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a fault in the morning after tracking my car.
5k miles. 9 track days. Rather than track it 2nd day, rainy today, I brought it to the dealer. Scan showed coolant system issue. Still trying to find root cause. May be thermostat or coolant valve issue.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:55 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,551 Likes on 2,585 Posts

Was at COTA today. Someone's 991 GT3 shut down on the track. When trying to start it, won't even turn over. Cause unknown at this point.

Meanwhile, I'm driving my cousin's 991 GT3, which feels EXACTLY like mine. Car is running great, despite being on track most of the day with both of us driving it. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:48 AM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

OK I just got mine back from Park Place. They said it was slightly low on coolant they did replace the thermostat. Dealer replaced two parts said they did thermostat to play it safe I'm out of state. Cars has 3100 miles running fine now? I could post the details of the service ticket if somebody wanted to see them. They had the car for 3 days.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:48 AM
Napoli
Racer

Originally Posted by Cyrek
OK I just got mine back from Park Place. They said it was slightly low on coolant they did replace the thermostat. Dealer replaced two parts said they did thermostat to play it safe I'm out of state. Cars has 3100 miles running fine now? I could post the details of the service ticket if somebody wanted to see them. They had the car for 3 days.
I'm back in the shop for 2nd engine control fault repair (they did not replace thermostat). Since you're offering, would like to see your service ticket to see how it differs from my 2 service tickets.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:12 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,062 Likes on 548 Posts

Was at COTA today. Someone's 991 GT3 shut down on the track. When trying to start it, won't even turn over. Cause unknown at this point.
Could be something wrong with the charging system. Did the car have lights? Low voltage, if not dead, usually lights the dash up like a Christmas tree.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:47 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by seapar
Had a fault in the morning after tracking my car.
5k miles. 9 track days. Rather than track it 2nd day, rainy today, I brought it to the dealer. Scan showed coolant system issue. Still trying to find root cause. May be thermostat or coolant valve issue.
Still at dealer since sat. Looks like thermostat but needing some more testing to confirm. No issues before. 5k miles, 9 track days.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:38 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Looks like thermostat issue. Part not in stock. :-(

Quick Reply: "Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?