Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 11:50 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 512 Posts

How do you get a worn groove in the camshaft so early without there being larger issues, notably design issues?
1. Oil supply
2. Improper heat treat of the cam. Depth and surface hardness.
3. Surface texture on the cam
4. Higher than expected contact pressure on the cam

Consider that these are low production cars. Not sure how many cams the supplier can batch process. It could easily be 50.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:05 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
1. Oil supply
2. Improper heat treat of the cam. Depth and surface hardness.
3. Surface texture on the cam
4. Higher than expected contact pressure on the cam

Consider that these are low production cars. Not sure how many cams the supplier can batch process. It could easily be 50.
Exactly! Scary.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:08 PM
vtxdrew
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
This kind of thing scares the **** out of me. How do you get a worn groove in the camshaft so early without there being larger issues, notably design issues? I assume you're running "normal" oil?
Normal oil and no modifications. Upon inspection it looks like it's cylinder 5 intake that is grooved so this does not explain my initial error code entirely either.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:51 PM
gunnyosu
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Warning is still on today...I will try the durametric to see if I have any luck communicating with ECU to at least get a code (an possibly clear it).

Suppose the next step would be to unplug battery and hope it goes away? I'm guessing if that doesn't work, I guess it's off to the dealer

...am I the only one that dreads dropping off my car at the dealer?
-I suppose it's bc the same dealer had the seats of my Maserati sitting on the roof of the car when diagnosing a wiring harness issue a few years back
Old 06-21-2015, 01:00 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gunnyosu
Warning is still on today...I will try the durametric to see if I have any luck communicating with ECU to at least get a code (an possibly clear it).

Suppose the next step would be to unplug battery and hope it goes away? I'm guessing if that doesn't work, I guess it's off to the dealer

...am I the only one that dreads dropping off my car at the dealer?
-I suppose it's bc the same dealer had the seats of my Maserati sitting on the roof of the car when diagnosing a wiring harness issue a few years back
No, I dread going to the dealer. When I've taken my Cayenne in for warranty work, it usually took forever and it just burns me to be without my car for weeks at a time.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:07 AM
gunnyosu
Rennlist Member

So I hooked up durametric and as others have experienced, it would not communicate with engine or pdk modules. Most of the the other systems could be detected. I sent a log to durametric - hopefully that helps them get the coding correct for our GT3's.

I disconnected the battery - hoping when I get home later today the warning is gone. Otherwise off to the stealership :/
Old 06-22-2015, 05:57 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by gunnyosu
So I hooked up durametric and as others have experienced, it would not communicate with engine or pdk modules. Most of the the other systems could be detected. I sent a log to durametric - hopefully that helps them get the coding correct for our GT3's.

I disconnected the battery - hoping when I get home later today the warning is gone. Otherwise off to the stealership :/
Here's an idea: how about Durametric actually invests some of their time to track down a GT3 and have them come by their shop to get the GT3 communication up and running, rather than relying on logs from frustrated customers.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:33 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

They just need some competition. Judging from the software design and the hardware I think an iOS app and a bluetooth dongle would give them a real run for their money.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bigkraig
They just need some competition. Judging from the software design and the hardware I think an iOS app and a bluetooth dongle would give them a real run for their money.
Yeah. I wish Ross-Tech would expand their line to cover Porsche rather than just VW and Audi.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:29 PM
gunnyosu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Here's an idea: how about Durametric actually invests some of their time to track down a GT3 and have them come by their shop to get the GT3 communication up and running, rather than relying on logs from frustrated customers.
I'm with you on that Mech - little ridiculous that the 991 GT3 has been out for close to 2yrs and they still have yet to address the issue. :/

Also, the battery reset wasn't the magic bullet I was hoping for. Looks like a trip to the dealer is my last option...
Old 06-22-2015, 11:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I'll weigh in if I may :
Although I can understand the frustration with Durametric,you have to keep in mind that they are an aftermarket company after all and they need a little bit of time to work out the software for the new models. The GT3 is a year old.
I won't comment on the reliability of the car,although I will say that even if my first impulse would be to go out and pull the scanner to find out what's wrong,I would refrain from doing so. In the end think about it,in most cases there is something wrong...and if that's the case,a part or parts must be changed or software reprogrammed. Does it make sense to deal with it yourself on a car that has factory warranty. I would think not.
A trip to the dealer can be a hassle,but it's probably the easiest way out in these scenarios. Let them deal with it! Life is short to be frustrated over this...

Just my 2 c...
Old 06-29-2015, 01:22 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Just a heads up on some recent ECU code snafu experience that I've had:

1) The durametric is totally worthless right now for the GT3. I haven't been able to get it to clear any codes

2) I had a code light up the several weeks ago. The car drove totally fine. Durametric couldn't reset the code. My generic OBD2 scanner couldn't reset the code. I disconnected the battery for several hours and that cleared the code. Code hasn't been back for several weeks and after a track day. Car runs fine

3) I was troubleshooting the connectors on my Mech33 Laguna soundbuster device and had to disconnect the ECU in order to gain access. I accidentally fired up the car without the ECU connected and all hell broke loose. Lights and codes everywhere. I reconnected the ECU and the engine would start, but a diff failure and tranny failure warning came up and I could NOT get the car out of park. The car was bricked/stuck in my garage. Once again, durametric was useless. I disconnected the battery for several hours, but the car was STILL bricked. I tried the generic OBD2 scanner and this time the obd2 scanner CLEARED the code and the car was back to normal again.

Very interesting that for some codes only a battery disconnect will work and for other codes only a generic scanner will work. Durametric is useless right now

This is the scanner I used:

Amazon.com: INNOVA 3030 Diagnostic Scan Tool/Code Reader with ABS for OBD2 Vehicles: n/a: Automotive Amazon.com: INNOVA 3030 Diagnostic Scan Tool/Code Reader with ABS for OBD2 Vehicles: n/a: Automotive
Old 06-29-2015, 01:36 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orthojoe

1) The durametric is totally worthless right now for the GT3. I haven't been able to get it to clear any codes

2) I had a code light up the several weeks ago. The car drove totally fine. Durametric couldn't reset the code. My generic OBD2 scanner couldn't reset the code. I disconnected the battery for several hours and that cleared the code. Code hasn't been back for several weeks and after a track day. Car runs fine

3) I was troubleshooting the connectors on my Mech33 Laguna soundbuster device and had to disconnect the ECU in order to gain access. I accidentally fired up the car without the ECU connected and all hell broke loose. Lights and codes everywhere. I reconnected the ECU and the engine would start, but a diff failure and tranny failure warning came up and I could NOT get the car out of park. The car was bricked/stuck in my garage. Once again, durametric was useless. I disconnected the battery for several hours, but the car was STILL bricked. I tried the generic OBD2 scanner and this time the obd2 scanner CLEARED the code and the car was back to normal again.

Very interesting that for some codes only a battery disconnect will work and for other codes only a generic scanner will work. Durametric is useless right now

Amazon.com: INNOVA 3030 Diagnostic Scan Tool/Code Reader with ABS for OBD2 Vehicles: n/a: Automotive
Thanks for the heads-up! I managed to contort myself to get the solenoid plugs disconnected / reconnected without removing the ECU, luckily.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:43 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default "Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?

Originally Posted by Mech33
Thanks for the heads-up! I managed to contort myself to get the solenoid plugs disconnected / reconnected without removing the ECU, luckily.
Man, that's amazing! Lol. At this point I'm a pro at removing everything.... Too bad it was all for nothing. The connectors were all fine. Turns out the vacuum line that goes to the exhaust valve got knocked loose somehow.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:44 PM
calpolo17
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap....this would scare the heck out of me.

Originally Posted by orthojoe

Amazon.com: INNOVA 3030 Diagnostic Scan Tool/Code Reader with ABS for OBD2 Vehicles: n/a: Automotive

Quick Reply: "Engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" - ok to track it?