Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cantrell Rollbar .... thwack !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 04:21 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cantrell Rollbar .... thwack !!!

Doing a little canyon carving today and suddenly heard a loud, metallic thwack / ping coming from what sounded like the passenger side of the rollbar. It sounded like someone hit the bar with a hammer.

When I stopped I tried shoving on all the mounting points of the bar and it felt as solid as ever. I'm not positive, but it seems we went over a bit of a dip in the road and the suspension loaded. Could have been at the moment we were exiting the dip and suspension was unloaded. It happened too fast to be sure that it occurred with the dip. That's all I can relate it to. Haven't heard the noise since, but it was a doozy.

I have Rennline tie-downs on the subframe and front jackpoints. I inspected them and they were not bent or scraped (suggesting they had not bottomed out).

Thoughts?
Old 05-11-2015, 07:43 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

I would suggest removing the back carpet and confirm that the rear mount points are firmly secure. (2 bolts each side). Had to use a ball socket 17mm and an extension to properly secure.

It's possible that the flange wasn't firmly seated on the positioning pin during install. I noticed during the installation that one side was completely engaged on the pin and the other was slightly raised. Another good shove put it in place (and it clicked).
Old 05-11-2015, 09:09 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Cantrell Rollbar .... thwack !!!

Different from what you experienced but I'm getting a metallic clanging every time I hit a bump. It actually sounds like it's coming from inside the bar because nothing on the outside could be doing it.

Jeff.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:29 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Check the back brackets, jlanka...

I have had no noises or problems coming from the bar.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:36 AM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlanka
Different from what you experienced but I'm getting a metallic clanging every time I hit a bump. It actually sounds like it's coming from inside the bar because nothing on the outside could be doing it.
Do you have shoulder harnesses attached with eye bolts? If so, check that the eye bolts are tight. This wasn't the case when I first put the eye bolts in my GMG roll bar and every time I went over a rumble strip I got this "resonating rumble like" sound from the back.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:49 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,911 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Could also be that a bracket was snagged on bolt threads, instead of being clamped down all the way, then abruptly shifted when the car flexed. But this is just speculation. Definitely something you want to track down to make sure the roll bar is secure and nothing is damaged.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:23 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

start peeling back the carpets and checking on all the mount points, i'd bet one wasnt fully seated
Old 05-11-2015, 01:02 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by devenh
Do you have shoulder harnesses attached with eye bolts? If so, check that the eye bolts are tight. This wasn't the case when I first put the eye bolts in my GMG roll bar and every time I went over a rumble strip I got this "resonating rumble like" sound from the back.
nothing attached to the bar yet
Old 05-11-2015, 02:41 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Rear spring hung on a spring perch?
Old 05-12-2015, 03:08 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cscrogham
Rear spring hung on a spring perch?
That was my thought at the time. It sounded like a .22 bullet hit the bar in the cabin. Freaky. My friend thought we should stop car and look for a missing part "like a hubcap" I had to laugh. Car was and is handling perfectly. Have a rally to fly off to, but will inspect bar mounting points next week.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:05 AM
Misdirection
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harness hardware smacking the bar?

Probably not this in your case, but I have bits of weld or something that skitter back and forth inside the horizontal bar. It's how I know I'm going fast enough around the corners.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:37 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

My RSS bar clangs occasionally in my 997

Quick Reply: Cantrell Rollbar .... thwack !!!