Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

deleted...

Last edited by Bartron; 04-15-2015 at 04:25 PM. Reason: oversharing
Old 04-15-2015, 04:18 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Love my LWBs for any length drive. FWIW, I'm 5'9", 170, fit. Have some cervicle and lumbar issues which are not a problem with these. Entry/exit is a little more thought out, but it works well once you get it. Plus, these seats are effing sexy. That said, any seat can have issues with 1000 miles of driving.

Last edited by 911dev; 04-15-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:41 PM
Backroads
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think comfort, while sitting in the LWBs, will vary on the individual -- depending on the user's size, girth, weight, lower body strength, etc. FWIW, I find them comfortable while actually sitting in them. The real issue, for me anyway, in terms of using the GT3 with LWBs as a daily driver is ingress and egress. I think even in Mary Lou Retton's heyday she'd probably sprain something if she had to get in and out of a GT3 with LWB's more than, say, half a dozen times a day, every single day of the week, every 52 weeks of the year.
Nice Mary Lou Retton reference. Met her once not long after her Olympic success. She was exactly like she comes across on television. Happy. Perky. Friendly to everyone she meets. She drove a Corvette back then.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:43 PM
Backroads
Advanced

Originally Posted by Backroads
Nice Mary Lou Retton reference. Met her once not long after her Olympic success. She was exactly like she comes across on television. Happy. Perky. Friendly to everyone she meets. She drove a Corvette back then.
Edit: I have the LWB's and they are very, very comfortable. 6'2", 195 lbs. Have done several 3 hr. drives with no issues at all, despite minor arthritis in my lower back.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:35 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Wow. Tremendously different opinions. Should have assumed that would be the case. Dr. "Fishing" definitely made me raise an eyebrow and think a bit more deeply about the issue. Advice from a doctor who practices pain management, has issues with his back, and is a Porsche-phile really made me think. Decisions, decisions.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:30 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I've done several 8 to 10 hour drives (almost nonstop) in the previous generation (997.x) LWB's that debuted on the GT2. I consider them slightly less comfortable than the new ones that we have now (that debuted on the 918 Spyder). Wasn't an issue for me at all. I was still able to shift around a bit to keep my muscles happy, and blood flowing, despite the Alcantara.

In the end, if this thread has told us anything, it's that your mileage may vary.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:11 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Verinnal
Hi All,
Not strictly a GT3 question, but I believe this is where most of the info might exist. Has anyone taken long road trips, meaning 1000+ miles, in race buckets a la 918, GT3, etc? How was the experience? I'm deciding whether or not it makes sense if I'll only track once or twice a year. I'm 6' and ~200Lbs with an average frame for my height. I'd like to take my next car on a few road trips; one NY to Cali, one to Niagara Falls, and one to Florida, all from NY. Curious if I'll curse buying the buckets after my first 100 or 500 miles.
My engine break-in was a 1,000-mile drive SF<-->LA in LWBs. I've routinely driven 400 miles at a time in the 997.2 OMP Carbon Fiber Cup seat in track-prepped 996.2GT3 so maybe I am not the best judge as I didn't mind that. On the other hand I just operated on someone's cervical and lumbar spine today, so maybe I am?

Anyway, firm support is what you'll get. Your rake is a bit far forward and this can be fatiguing. With proper rake and a little lumbar support you could be great. Be sure to flex your calves, stretch your legs and back and generally resposition yourself every 20 minutes or so as the other poster suggested. I recommend a 1-2 hour test run first.

Try this thread for LWB lumbar support inspiration:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...r-support.html

Last edited by neuroguru; 04-16-2015 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:15 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BTW, I had the blasphemous 18-way heated ASSes in my 7.2GT3.

They are definitely awesome seats for traveling long distances.

You cannot go wrong. You just pop them out and pop in your Recaro HANS Pros for the track.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:16 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neuroguru
My engine break-in was a 1,000-mile drive SF<-->LA in LWBs. I've routinely driven 400 miles at a time in the 997.2 OMP Carbon Fiber Cup seat in track-prepped 996.2GT3 so maybe I am not the best judge as I didn't mind that. On the other hand I just operated on someone's cervical and lumbar spine today, so maybe I am?

Anyway, firm support is what you'll get. Your rake is a bit far forward and this can be fatiguing. With proper rake and a little lumbar support you could be great. Be sure to flex your calves, stretch your legs and back and generally resposition yourself every 20 minutes or so as the other poster suggested. I recommend a 1-2 hour test run first.

I have the LWBs and did one 1,000 mile round trip in them. Based on Eduardo's advice in the referenced thread, I bought the lumbar support pad that has an internal bladder that varies inflation levels - in essence, it handles the fidgeting function.

Amazon.com: BackCycler Passive Motion Lumbar Support - BackCycler Passive Motion Lumbar Support - RET-BC-1000A: Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: BackCycler Passive Motion Lumbar Support - BackCycler Passive Motion Lumbar Support - RET-BC-1000A: Health & Personal Care

It made a world of difference. I've had back issues in the past, but no problems at all on the trip. I track my car quite a bit and use 6-points, so I wouldn't consider any other seat, but with this setup I don't mind the long drives either. Entering/exiting the seat is more challenging, but you get used to that as well. If I drive one of our other cars (Cayman with 18 ways or Audi S6) right after the GT3, it feels like there is hardly any lateral support, but that perception does go away after a bit of driving.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:02 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru

Originally Posted by rm21
I have the LWBs and did one 1,000 mile round trip in them. Based on Eduardo's advice in the referenced thread, I bought the lumbar support pad that has an internal bladder that varies inflation levels - in essence, it handles the fidgeting function.

Amazon.com: BackCycler Passive Motion Lumbar Support - BackCycler Passive Motion Lumbar Support - RET-BC-1000A: Health & Personal Care

It made a world of difference. I've had back issues in the past, but no problems at all on the trip. I track my car quite a bit and use 6-points, so I wouldn't consider any other seat, but with this setup I don't mind the long drives either. Entering/exiting the seat is more challenging, but you get used to that as well. If I drive one of our other cars (Cayman with 18 ways or Audi S6) right after the GT3, it feels like there is hardly any lateral support, but that perception does go away after a bit of driving.
I am flying up with my wife to pick up my new 991 gt3 in Ohio in May and driving it back to the West Coast. The car comes with Sport Seats Plus (4-way). I am bringing with me a pair of 'Backcyclers' for the trip back home. One of the great advantage of this product is that you can switch them from car to car, even rentals, as dictated by your need.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Originally Posted by Z356
Donn: I have had a bad back ever since in 1973 I flipped my '68 912 Targa twice on the highway before it ended upside down on a water-filled ditch on the side of the road. The most inexpensive and effective seat back support I have ever found is called the 'BackCycler':

http://www.backcyclerllc.com/AboutOurCompany.htm

Developed by an orthopedic doctor, the key to it is that it inflates and deflates on cycles. That creates movement on your spinal column and lessens fatigue from sitting on the seat. Any 'set' lumbar support, whether the foam cushions you recommended or the inflatable positions on the expensive Porsche Adaptive Sport Seat Plus, don't allow for automatic movement. Although added lumbar might feel better on the short run, the fixed lumbar setting (regardless of where you set it at) eventually starts to feel bothersome. What the vertebrae need for its health is movement & articulation to remain less prone to fatigue - which is what the 'BackCycle' provides via an inflatable & deflatable bladder with an air pump you put under the seat! Take a quick look at the video on their website:

http://www.backcyclerllc.com/index.html

As some of you know, some expensive luxury cars (like my old MB CL600) provide 'dynamic' massage seats for driver & passengers. Some work better than others, but the idea is to get movement on your back to lessen driver 'back' fatigue. On a Porsche, or on my JCW Mini Cooper, these 'massage' seats are not available. That is why it makes sense to consider something like the 'BackCycle' to your gt3 or any other vehicle you drive. The current 'BackCycler' set I use to this day on my DD was purchase in the late 1980's. And it's still in daily use to this date! I move them around the vehicles I own (I have a set for my wife too) and have used them on everything from my old 356's to my newer Audi R8 Spyder on long trips. Quite the productive investment for less than $80. It's available via Amazon for that price too (reg. $99 at company website):

Amazon.com: BackCycler Passive Motion Lumbar Support - BackCycler Passive Motion Lumbar Support - RET-BC-1000A: Health & Personal Care

Without any reservation, this 'BackCycler' is the best recommendation I can offer re: an automobile-related product to anyone. Period & end of story! It's simply an amazing product!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS I have not affiliation with this company. I am just a satisfied, longterm customer!

Old 04-16-2015, 11:09 AM
otisdog
Pro

Dumb Question? If one were to order LWBs, would it be possible to retrofit the 18 way sports so that they function, or is the circuitry not there for these seats when LWBs are specced?
Old 04-16-2015, 12:17 PM
calpolo17
Instructor

Originally Posted by otisdog
Dumb Question? If one were to order LWBs, would it be possible to retrofit the 18 way sports so that they function, or is the circuitry not there for these seats when LWBs are specced?
They can be retrofitted.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by otisdog
Originally Posted by calpolo17
They can be retrofitted.
I am not so sure. LWB to Adaptive Sport Plus (18-way). Full 'function' is the hard part to answer correctly to your question!

a) LWB do not have heat or wiring for heat.
b) LWB do not have wiring for memory function.

Who knows what else might not be compatible...but carefully research before making a decision based on these internet conversations!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-16-2015, 01:20 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

On the 997.2 version I have installed the GT2 buckets into a car with 18 ways and there were no issues. Obviously no heat/memory for the buckets. I have also installed 18 ways in a car that came with GT2 buckets. I lost the memory and heat as expected. I've done this on more than one set of cars. The harness on the 997.2 was plug and play. Check the plugs under the seat. If they match, and they should, there shouldn't be an issue with the exchange but you will lose memory and heat.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

No seat airbag issues?

Originally Posted by Alan C.
On the 997.2 version I have installed the GT2 buckets into a car with 18 ways and there were no issues. Obviously no heat/memory for the buckets. I have also installed 18 ways in a car that came with GT2 buckets. I lost the memory and heat as expected. I've done this on more than one set of cars. The harness on the 997.2 was plug and play. Check the plugs under the seat. If they match, and they should, there shouldn't be an issue with the exchange but you will lose memory and heat.

Quick Reply: 1000+ mile road trip in LWB