Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Tire Test: Dunlop Vs. Michelin

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 12:11 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

After two track days on my original Dunlops, and now two more on my MPSC2's, I have some basis for comparison.

1. The Michelins look like they're going to be more durable. A couple of thousand miles of street driving, 2 AX days and 2 track days (Chuckwalla and Thermal) and the Dunlops were toast. After only a few street miles but two track days (at the Fontana Roval - much faster and much harder on tires) the MPSC2's look to have much more life left in them. My Dunlops looked fine before the track days (Monday and Friday in the same week) so I don't think the street miles were responsible.

2. To be honest, I couldn't tell any difference in handling between the two tires. Granted, I drove them on different tracks so it's not a true apples-to-apples comparison. But I ran similar pressures in both sets of tires (around 30/33 hot) and turn in, grip and general feel seemed quite similar.

So. Since the prices are similar, the performance is similar, and the MPSC2's look like they'll last longer, they get my vote.

I'd love to try some Trofeo R's, but in PCA they'll bounce me out of a stock class and into modified. It'll take a lot more than that to be competitive in the modded class, so I'm trying to avoid the slippery slope. At least for now.

In the last two weeks that makes 4 track days, and I have another AX in two weeks. Not bad for a car that's only a month past break-in.

DMoore
'15 GT3
'13 Panamera GTS
Old 04-13-2015, 02:33 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for sharing the article with us. The performance of the MPSS compared to the cup tires was not that surprising to me. If you search my posts regarding these tires, I have indicated on several occasions that dry grip levels of the MPSS are not that much lower than the MPSC2 on both street & track. When ambient temperatures are below 50F, I found out that MPSS performs even better the MPSC2. Finally on the wet the MPSS is so much better than MPSC2 and especially in deeper water. I run on the MPSS from mid October through April, and MPSC2 for the rest of the year.
It would be really interesting to see the tire pressures they used during the test. The Porsche recommended cold pressures are too high for ideal track performance from the MPSC2, which may explain why it lagged behind the Dunlop and also explains the drop off of tire performance after the third lap. It is best to keep hot tire pressures below 32 psi for the MPSC2. I usually run 29F& 31R PSI hot pressures on track or Autocross. Mark
Old 04-13-2015, 03:39 AM
MoeGt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So from my understanding u did not face any problems with the RWS? Our service centre in Dubai claims that you can loose your warranty if you use them..The only sensible reasoning to that was RWS..Im thinking its cause they do not have an agreement with Pirelli for the Gt3..So from the looks of it, whatever they are claiming to be the issue is just B'S.

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Yep. Ran used Trofeo R today on my GT3 at National Corvette Museum Motorsports Park. F'ing fast I may say and they have 3 track weekends on them plus about 1500 street miles. Not sure what a good time at this track is, but my 2:20.6 seem decent for my first time here. The tires feel like Hoosiers.

My car has oem dunlops but I want to wear out the Trofeos before I try the dunlops on the track.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:27 AM
sebearstian
Instructor

There are several discussion on the OEM Dunlops Race vs Michelins Cup 2, and MPSS also come into the picture as a great everyday higher mileage better better wet performance road tire.

However I notice the MPSS are not N spec, which brings me to the PZeros which are N spec, and OEM on the Turbos and 4S.

There are no discussion on them so I wanna ask if anyone have any comments for them
Old 04-16-2015, 08:59 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Thanks for sharing the article with us. The performance of the MPSS compared to the cup tires was not that surprising to me. If you search my posts regarding these tires, I have indicated on several occasions that dry grip levels of the MPSS are not that much lower than the MPSC2 on both street & track. When ambient temperatures are below 50F, I found out that MPSS performs even better the MPSC2. Finally on the wet the MPSS is so much better than MPSC2 and especially in deeper water. I run on the MPSS from mid October through April, and MPSC2 for the rest of the year.
It would be really interesting to see the tire pressures they used during the test. The Porsche recommended cold pressures are too high for ideal track performance from the MPSC2, which may explain why it lagged behind the Dunlop and also explains the drop off of tire performance after the third lap. It is best to keep hot tire pressures below 32 psi for the MPSC2. I usually run 29F& 31R PSI hot pressures on track or Autocross. Mark
Absolutely couldn't agree more with this....and I have been running exact same hot pressures on my mpsc2s. I used both sets on same track and I was pulling very similar times with dunlops but didn't do as much pressure testing with them but they looked like consistent wear vs michs before each track session.....after 2 full track days they rode on street like someone had shaved off all the remaining tread and were substantially louder on highway on way home, much different than the michs which I did not notice big differences off the track in noise or ride (it changed but much more gradual).
Old 04-16-2015, 12:06 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a lot of track days last summer using MPSS on 997.2TT. MPSS is very good, much much better then one can possibly expect. I had P Zero on the same car before and it was terrible.

Also i had DD on MPSS in sub-zero (Celsium) weather for 2-3 weeks. No problem at all. Pirellis were hopeless in the same condition.

If one does not track much, MPSS would probably be the best all-around choice, especially considering 300 vs 180 index.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:55 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I was under the impression that you could only really compare tread wear ratings within tires made by the same manufacturer. Meaning - a Michelin 80 and a Dunlop 80 are not necessarily the same thing, but - a Michelin 300 will give longer wear than a Michelin 180.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by _BrakeDust_
Please correct me if I am wrong.

I was under the impression that you could only really compare tread wear ratings within tires made by the same manufacturer. Meaning - a Michelin 80 and a Dunlop 80 are not necessarily the same thing, but - a Michelin 300 will give longer wear than a Michelin 180.
That used to be the case. Now TW ratings have become totally worthless because manufacturers have decided to 'up' and fudge the rating in order to sell tires that conform to cone dodging regulations that class people based on TW ratings.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:02 PM
Bergerac74
2nd Gear

Default Dunlop race maxx

I drive a Porsche GT4. I've done 3 track days this year and whilst the grip was impressive, my front boots are done. My friend runs PSC2's and he's enjoyed much less degradation. He could probably do six or seven track days on those tyres. And we're pretty equal in terms of ability. Both of us nailed the GT3's on the track days. So we weren't hanging about. Message to Porsche, the GT4 is phenomenal, but gearing is far too long (82mph in 2nd) and needs another 50hp. Word
Old 07-13-2016, 02:36 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Tks for sharing! That is very inspiring for Dunlop crowd! My feeling is right Dunlop is actually not bad at all!
Old 07-13-2016, 04:19 AM
Bergerac74
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by s4corrado996tt
Tks for sharing! That is very inspiring for Dunlop crowd! My feeling is right Dunlop is actually not bad at all!
Dunlop are not bad. But PSC2's are better. They look better as well. If that's possible from a tyre!
To be clear I will not be purchasing any more Dunlops.

Also, if you do have Dunlops, and you have a GT4 (sorry, can't speak for GT3's) then you might want to change the factory set-up front suspension, which tends to understeer. I set the anti-roll bar to soft (from medium) and moved the camber in. This stopped the understeer and helped save tyre wear. And the car was more fun to drive!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:58 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
chris harris has a recent pirelli sponsored video concluding that trofeos will produce matierially lower lap times than cup2's or dunlops - i might be wrong but i think he used a 991 gt3 for the test ... i would tend to believe him in that claim, despite the pirelli sponsorship of that video. from that video and info also shared on the mclaren forums it seems reasonably safe to conclude that the trofeos are made with an even stickier compound (obviously bearing the various tradeoffs that that may entail). but they do seem to run faster times when they are fresh and in good condition, all else equal
That C Harris video was a big influence in many guys trying the P-TrR. I tend to think it may have been a touch biased. Perhaps used MPSC2, then compared to "Pirelli race team ready" Tr-R. OrthoJoe gave the Tr-R a good try. Ended up not wanting to go there again. With tire pressures and car set up, and driving style all different for anyone of us, we will get different results. With that article, I tend to think it was more of an amateur youtube type effort. Not a scientific test. A real test runs a new set vs a new set, one driver, with a whole day of laps. And even then, it only is comparable for that specific driver, car set up, ambient temps, and track.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:50 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,529 Likes on 2,577 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
That C Harris video was a big influence in many guys trying the P-TrR. I tend to think it may have been a touch biased. Perhaps used MPSC2, then compared to "Pirelli race team ready" Tr-R. OrthoJoe gave the Tr-R a good try. Ended up not wanting to go there again. With tire pressures and car set up, and driving style all different for anyone of us, we will get different results. With that article, I tend to think it was more of an amateur youtube type effort. Not a scientific test. A real test runs a new set vs a new set, one driver, with a whole day of laps. And even then, it only is comparable for that specific driver, car set up, ambient temps, and track.
Agreed. Can't really compare the tires unless you optimize the setup of the car and the tire pressures for each tire. And even then there's the consideration of how one tire will compare with another as a function of track conditions like pavement temps. Moreover, testing new tires for a few laps doesn't tell us how the performance of the tires will vary over their lifespan as they accumulate heat cycles and wear.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:32 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 241 Posts

Bumping an old thread as I can't seem to find an answer. My GT3 is on its original Dunlop Sport Maxx Race (N0) tires and I'm going to take it to its first track weekend at COTA in a couple of weeks.

What is the optimal pressure these tires like to be at? I'm thinking 29fr/31rear hot, but if anyone knows what's optimal I'd really appreciate it!

The tires have been garage kept out of sunlight, and are in excellent condition so I'm not worried about their age.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:42 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 467 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Jickel180
Bumping an old thread as I can't seem to find an answer. My GT3 is on its original Dunlop Sport Maxx Race (N0) tires and I'm going to take it to its first track weekend at COTA in a couple of weeks.

What is the optimal pressure these tires like to be at? I'm thinking 29fr/31rear hot, but if anyone knows what's optimal I'd really appreciate it!

The tires have been garage kept out of sunlight, and are in excellent condition so I'm not worried about their age.
33F/35R when hot..

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Tire Test: Dunlop Vs. Michelin