Sponsored by:

Track tires for 991 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 11:14 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Track tires for 991 RS

Given the 20"/21" wheels F/R, have you guys thought about track tires? I run Trofeos on my 997 GT3, and really like that tire. I want to keep the factory rake, but I believe 19"/20" F/R is not an option due to brake clearance issues in the front (steel brakes). Thoughts?

Edit: I noticed that the GT3, and RS have the same steel brakes. Therefore, the staggered 19"/20" F/R setup should work. The problem is to find R compound tires in the correct size.

Last edited by MM3.9GT3; 04-05-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 779 Posts

What is the OEM outside diameter?
I think the CUP2 are probably the best tire, cheaper alternatives will become available.
Any matching Hoosier or Nitto OD sized availalable?
Old 04-05-2015, 03:55 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

On track any 19" or 20" wheelset would fit
RS has same Steel Brakes as the GT3

but with that gearbox final ratio (shorter than GT3)
GT3 19" Wheelset not an easy option so i would go for 20"
Old 04-05-2015, 06:27 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
What is the OEM outside diameter?
I think the CUP2 are probably the best tire, cheaper alternatives will become available.
Any matching Hoosier or Nitto OD sized availalable?
Originally Posted by fxz
On track any 19" or 20" wheelset would fit
RS has same Steel Brakes as the GT3

but with that gearbox final ratio (shorter than GT3)
GT3 19" Wheelset not an easy option so i would go for 20"
When the GT3 came out, Pirelli released 20" Trofeo R tires for both front, and rear. I am hoping they do the same for the RS. I started using them when they first came out (it was called Trofeo, and the Trofeo R came out later), and I have stayed with Trofeos. They are very close to Hoosiers, not more than a second off in a 2:00 lap.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:46 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm absolutely floored this thread isn't being bombarded w/ comments??

I've posed this very concern numerous times over other posts and seems like no one cares?

So, what this tells me is that anyone who actually has a bona fide allocation isn't a true track guy or they're planning on keeping as a "garage queen", so couldn't care less about rubber options??

I've had enough trouble trying to fit tires on 19" on the GT3. There's NOTHING out there for this new spec on the RS.

I have NO idea what Porsche is thinking, but I highly doubt they're expecting this RS to be driven on track and have built it purposely to prevent anything but OEM DOT tires.

Anyone who thinks tire manufactures will catch up to this car is dreaming. (I represent the majority of tire mold manufacturers globally and will tell you it's not happening.)

So, if you're fortunate enough to be real owner of this RS, be prepared to be frustrated.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Im the guy that bought the last few hundred Toyo RA1 335/18..

Maybe some cheaper Tire will do just as great a job the new CUP2, but it seems to last, is quick and is a pretty good Tire to drive in the rain.

Being a year away from getting it into the US I have t even looked yet.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:49 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by est8esq
So, what this tells me is that anyone who actually has a bona fide allocation isn't a true track guy or they're planning on keeping as a "garage queen", so couldn't care less about rubber options??
From what I sit, I'm10 months from getting the RS so I'm focused on this track season w/ the 3... I plan to have these discussions in the fall. Won't do me any good before that.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:13 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

I've posed this very concern numerous times over other posts and seems like no one cares?

I've had enough trouble trying to fit tires on 19" on the GT3. There's NOTHING out there for this new spec on the RS.

I have NO idea what Porsche is thinking, but I highly doubt they're expecting this RS to be driven on track and have built it purposely to prevent anything but OEM DOT tires.

Anyone who thinks tire manufactures will catch up to this car is dreaming. (I represent the majority of tire mold manufacturers globally and will tell you it's not happening.)

So, if you're fortunate enough to be real owner of this RS, be prepared to be frustrated.
For your 991 GT3, you can run 20" Pirelli Trofeo R tires. You can buy them from Bob Woodman tires.

I do plan on tracking the RS, and that's why I am hoping that Pirelli will make the Trofeo in OEM sizes. They did make them for the GT3, so there is hope.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:46 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, I think there's a few people who will be getting an RS that are pretty diehard trackrats, a few people that will do the occasional track day and the majority will never set foot anywhere near a track day with their $200k low production RS. That's what happens when prices get into the stratosphere, too expensive to put miles on it because of speculators that want art/investments that they can occasionally drive. To each their own, but it's sad to know that the majority of these cars will never even once come close to reaching what these cars were originally intended for. Most will go into private collections and have less than 3-5k put on per year. Nothing wrong with it, I mean, they're spending their money how they deem fit for them, just not what I'd do with my RS if I were getting one.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

The RS runs the same tire sizes as the 918, and the only tire available is still the factory 265 front 325 rears in Cup2s, both in ECO and non-ECO versions.

Production number dictates that there isn't a big market for tires in these sizes, other tire makers may not even try to enter.

What's wrong with the Cup2s in the first place?
Old 04-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

I am still holding out that Hoosier makes tires to fit the 991 GT3.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:51 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
What's wrong with the Cup2s in the first place?
You can't WIN a DE on cup2s, man! Think about it! Lol.
/sarcasm
Old 04-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Dante
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 38 Posts

RS I saw in Monza had dunlop sport maxx race
Old 04-06-2015, 05:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

How do the various OEM Dunlop Michelin and Pirelli's stack up in durability?
Old 04-06-2015, 05:09 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You can't WIN a DE on cup2s, man! Think about it! Lol.
/sarcasm
You have a great point there...

If life was less busy, I would club race. I'd rather club race and finish in last place vs. winning the "virtual" DE Cup!

Quick Reply: Track tires for 991 RS