Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Observations

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:10 PM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That was the other thing I forgot to mention was the "clunk" as the I came to a standstill. I was in Auto/Sport. Slightly disconcerting.
Attached Images   
Old 04-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paddles mostly, and grab neutral when approaching stop like I would in manual car, unless on track. No need to downshift on the street for a stop sign or light. The gearbox just auto selects lower gears as you slow, even in manual mode, if you pick neutral with both paddles.

No clunks as you come to a stop. I just don't like the feel of any clunking or grabbing in the driveline as you slow gently, as driveline shock is never a good thing -- only be used when trying to derive performance
Old 04-02-2015, 06:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,783 Likes on 4,775 Posts

After about 3k miles I have now come to appreciate and enjoy the clunky and jerky-ness of the PDK-S at low speeds around town.

It's significantly reduced my need for Ex-Lax. Which I am ok with.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:12 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I leave it on AUTO mode and even if they shift early, torque is there so I do not really mind. For normal driving, the auto mode is enough. Amazing car.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:34 PM
bhf_clt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
Paddles mostly, and grab neutral when approaching stop like I would in manual car, unless on track. No need to downshift on the street for a stop sign or light. The gearbox just auto selects lower gears as you slow, even in manual mode, if you pick neutral with both paddles. No clunks as you come to a stop. I just don't like the feel of any clunking or grabbing in the driveline as you slow gently, as driveline shock is never a good thing -- only be used when trying to derive performance
I do the same when approaching stop signs and lights. I'm starting to release as I approach as I try to guess the gear the car will choose and try to catch it matching revs on the downshift. Immature probably but I love that sound. Intoxicating.

To the OP, I'm in manual mode 100% of the time. Except for my first night in the car. Didn't know any better.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:16 PM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Auto mode shifts too early- it wants 6th/7th. I nearly always drive in manual and shift with the paddles. Much more fun. When slowing to a light or stop sign let it do the downshifting. Manual downshifting when slowing can be a little clunky. On a long highway trip I do use auto. On a 2 lane road and needing to pass another vehicle just nail the throttle and auto will select the right gear and bang gone.
actually i find auto doesnt select the lowest gear possible for maximum acceleration..

this has been discussed before though.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:41 PM
dntlvet
Pro

So far have only 90 miles and have not used paddles, but I will. I will use paddles a lot.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:15 PM
prestonr2010
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Auto

OK, I have been taken to task on this by a number of Porsche friends (not 991 GT3 owners) but auto S mode on track - only two days before winter cut this off 2014 - is amazing. I'll be evaluating this quite a bit in upcoming months but between the paddles and auto hard to decide....one hint is the corner workers.... when really getting it going they smile (and at lunch chat) about the fantastic sounds and downshifts and putting down the power out of the corner....well ...auto or whatever...this car can really impress.

Is one a lesser driver in PDK-S....Hmm...more focus on throttle inputs, car dynamics, general track awareness....I think not. Probably faster, safer and more fun all around even.

Will update comments in a few months! Enjoy......

Around town forget it never use auto, worse than my Subaru.

PR
Old 04-03-2015, 06:11 AM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

i hate the auto mode that shifts to 5th before i cross an intersection. Sport holds the gear too long for street driving so i am driving it like a 2 pedal manual. Will try sport at the track - i suspect there, the programming will be fine. I also dont like the clunkiness when rolling to a stop but you dont stop - the famous NJ rolling stop . will try the neutral thing and see if it helps
Old 04-03-2015, 10:14 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you do the neutral with the paddles, do you hold them in just for a sec or two or do you have to hold them in until you come to a complete stop?
Old 04-03-2015, 10:17 AM
bhf_clt
Racer

Originally Posted by bronson7
When you do the neutral with the paddles, do you hold them in just for a sec or two or do you have to hold them in until you come to a complete stop?
You're in neutral as long as both paddles are pulled in. Back in gear when released. I usually keep them pulled in until I come to a complete stop.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:18 AM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by bhf_clt
I usually keep them pulled in until I come to a complete stop.
why do you do that?
Old 04-03-2015, 10:30 AM
bhf_clt
Racer

Originally Posted by mainly
why do you do that?
Same thing I would do if I had three pedals. Shift in neutral and coast to a stop. I'm just talking about driving around town (i.e., not aggressively).

Why, am I doing something wrong? You've got me wondering.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:33 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pull the paddles to put the car in neutral when approaching speed bumps with nose lift activated. Much smoother IMO. I have a series of 4-5 to negotiate at one of my places in the burbs.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:35 AM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by bhf_clt
Same thing I would do if I had three pedals. Shift in neutral and coast to a stop. I'm just talking about driving around town (i.e., not aggressively).

Why, am I doing something wrong? You've got me wondering.
strange, if thats why youre doing it then i dont get it, because you dont have to..

besides more fun to downshift

Quick Reply: PDK Observations