Sponsored by:

Center lock wheel change question on conical nut

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 06:45 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Center lock wheel change question on conical nut

I just put on a new set of OZ wheels. Everything went fine on three of the wheels, but the locking pin wouldn't engage on the fourth wheel. When I removed it to start over, the conical portion of the nut had separated and the o-ring had come out. Not sure what happened to cause this. I want to make sure I put the optimoly paste in the right locations when I reassemble. None of the current videos show disassembly/reassembly of the conical nut. The old 997 GT3 video did show it, but I can no longer find it on youtube. Been searching for a day for any info or documentation, so I would appreciate advice from someone who has done this. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:44 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

rm21
Here is a diagram of how the nut works. The Optimoly paste goes on the conical sections of your wheel and nut as well as the threads. The paste is to prevent galling between the metals.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:30 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

More threads
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt2-and-...s-learned.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-diy-guys.html
Old 03-31-2015, 03:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
I just put on a new set of OZ wheels. Everything went fine on three of the wheels, but the locking pin wouldn't engage on the fourth wheel. When I removed it to start over, the conical portion of the nut had separated and the o-ring had come out. Not sure what happened to cause this. I want to make sure I put the optimoly paste in the right locations when I reassemble. None of the current videos show disassembly/reassembly of the conical nut. The old 997 GT3 video did show it, but I can no longer find it on youtube. Been searching for a day for any info or documentation, so I would appreciate advice from someone who has done this. Thanks.
Follow these steps to re-grease and assemble the center bolt:
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
marcelo guimarae (04-27-2022)
Old 03-31-2015, 10:44 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike - thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. Where did you get the documentation?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

You're welcome. It's an excerpt for the workshop manual that someone shared with me. Seemed like giving you the info to properly grease your CL bolt was most important.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:28 PM
JML58
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finding myself with a separated bolt, this diagram is very helpful, so +1 in the thanks department. I have two questions I would appreciate some help with (being somewhat of a newb to the GT3):

1) Based on what I've read in these forums, I'm assuming that separation isn't something to be overly alarmed about as long as the components (the cone ring, washer, threads, etc.) aren't damaged, but would appreciate a confirmation of that assumption.
2) I can't seem to find any specific info on cleaning the components before inspecting, re-greasing, and reassembling them. Given the sensitivity of the mechanism (and issues such as discoloration of the anodized portion of the bolt), I'm curious as to what you are using to clean them.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:29 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JML58
Finding myself with a separated bolt, this diagram is very helpful, so +1 in the thanks department. I have two questions I would appreciate some help with (being somewhat of a newb to the GT3):

1) Based on what I've read in these forums, I'm assuming that separation isn't something to be overly alarmed about as long as the components (the cone ring, washer, threads, etc.) aren't damaged, but would appreciate a confirmation of that assumption.
2) I can't seem to find any specific info on cleaning the components before inspecting, re-greasing, and reassembling them. Given the sensitivity of the mechanism (and issues such as discoloration of the anodized portion of the bolt), I'm curious as to what you are using to clean them.
As the thread above, clean the parts and re apply the anti seize paste to the specific parts mentioned. Use a flat screw driver blade to push in the retaining ring. When you want to separate the other nuts just slam them down on your work bench and they will separate. I clean mine once a year.

Quick Reply: Center lock wheel change question on conical nut