Harnesses installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 07:25 PM
rosino
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harnesses installation questions

Guys,

Need your help. Posted this on Pistonheads too but really could use your help. I had the harnesses installed by the dealer today. I have a bit of an issue as when the seat is fully pushed back it looks ok and the harness is wearable.

BUT if I push the seat forward. Because that's something you also occasionally do with a seat which allows you to do that and you are a short Italian fella like me... We have the CASTRATION mode.

I assume this is due to the straps BELOW the seat being too short. I cannot think that it can be so stupidly designed. So can somebody with experience tell me if they can be adjusted? I could feel the mounting below the seat but couldn't really see how you would do it. HELP!

I attache the 2 pictures.. one with enough strap available to comfortably wear the harness (seat fully pushed back), the other where it's physically impossible to put it on (seat closer to the steering wheel).
Attached Images   
Old 03-17-2015, 07:34 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

The cam lock should be adjusted to your driving position. All the way back and you will have excess belt. All the way forward and the belt will be shorter. It is only going to be correct in one position on the slider. What did they anchor the sub straps too beneath the seat?
Old 03-17-2015, 08:11 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

you should be able to adjust strap length beneath the seat. Pain to get to, but defo possible.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:06 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like the sub strap is attached to the floor and not the bottom of the seat, unless something else is amiss. If it is properly attached to the bottom of the seat, the length of the strap should not change with seat position. Can you look under the seat while you move it and see where is it attached?
Old 03-17-2015, 11:46 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Looks like the sub strap is attached to the floor and not the bottom of the seat, unless something else is amiss. If it is properly attached to the bottom of the seat, the length of the strap should not change with seat position. Can you look under the seat while you move it and see where is it attached?
The ROW CS OEM 991 attachment point is to the chassis under the seat, not the seat itself, no?
Old 03-18-2015, 12:34 AM
m3irish
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the sub-belt mounted? Did you get a half cage or harness bar? I'm curious for my car.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:01 AM
Anders
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mech33
The ROW CS OEM 991 attachment point is to the chassis under the seat, not the seat itself, no?
Correct.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:00 AM
rosino
Advanced

Originally Posted by khooni
you should be able to adjust strap length beneath the seat. Pain to get to, but defo possible.
Ti answer some of the questions. My car is a UK car with clubsport package. The belts are definitely attached to the chassis and not the seat. I could barely see the attachment but its there on floor with the carpets already cut out in preparation.

Indeed I would hope there is an adjustment possible, I couldn't immediately see where or how yesterday evening but will give the Opc a call. Some say the cushion is also attached with Velcro so maybe accessible from there. I haven't tried.

Strange thing is OPC didn't even ask how I wanted it so pretty obvious must be the second car they do and had no idea. Also indeed seems strange not attached to the seat like in the old gt3 such as the 996 which would make it much more convenient and indeed work with movement of seat.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:59 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a good reason for a sub bar setup. Get the length right and it wont change moving the seat fore and aft.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

The sub bar mount is convienient. Probably not as good from a load point of view when compared to mounting to the floor. I've had 7 point mounts in my past cars. The center strap goes straight down and the two side straps are mounted to the floor about 8 - 10" apart and roughly under my hip joints.

The inside of your thighs take the sub load in a crash and the vertical strap keeps you in the seat in a roll over.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:21 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I purchased the new GMG sub strap mount, but haven't received it yet. I'll let you know how it goes. Seems to be only 0.4" off the ground and have several mounting points for comfort.
Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2015, 03:35 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Slightly off topic but not so much... I've been adjusting my belt positions and have a question on the anti-sub belt.

Does anyone have a picture of the PROPER location of the CAM lock and height of the sub belt relative to the side and shoulder belts? Ideally with a driver in the seat? Mine was too high, I've lowered it. want to see if it's right, I think it is based on the angles and locate now.

The Schroth guide and searching hasn't resulted in much.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:41 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I purchased the new GMG sub strap mount, but haven't received it yet. I'll let you know how it goes. Seems to be only 0.4" off the ground and have several mounting points for comfort.
Wait. What? When did these become available? I need a set like now
Old 03-18-2015, 04:48 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible to move the eye bolt position without removing the seat?
Old 03-18-2015, 05:04 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How does that thing attach...to the floor ? Are there bolt holes for it ?

Quick Reply: Harnesses installation questions