Sponsored by:

The modegrau / Fashion grey thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 03:06 AM
biglare
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
I'm glad you found this thread and hope you get your car soon. Thanks for the photos and please post more. As for the delays, I'm curious what the causes were. As you probably know, we've had our share of delays with the GT3 and had trouble with our Paint to Sample program. Would you mind sharing your impressions of the BMW Individual program? Again congratulations on your new car, and enjoy!
The Individual process is not so easy with BMW either. I order my cars through the dealer in Austin and they are lucky enough to have a ///M Rep that was a former Individual Germany employee. She put me in touch with the correct Individual Germany people that could help me with my Individual order. Not only could they help me with my exterior color, but they were able to work with me on my Individual interior as well.

The regular process would be to contact a dealer and then have them put you in touch with their regional ///M rep. This Rep and then handle your Individual order and confirm what can and cannot be ordered.

Overall, the process for me was not too bad, but from start to finish it took almost 9-months. The delays that I had were over 3+months and were due to the blue leather supplier that did not meet they QA standards from BMW individual. I guess it took three attempts to finally deliver leather that met the QA standards of BMW and that was the bulk of my delays.

My new M3 should arrive at the dealer next week, and then I will schedule a pickup date. I hope to take care of the break-in period on the drive back home.

I'll be sure to post up some photos once I take deliery!

Thanks again for your help and sharing the enthusiasm as we are all car lovers!

Today I decided as part of the break in process, I'd go for a nice drive out to Osoyoos, BC, Canada, along Highway 3 (Crows Nest). It is about 400 km one way, plus some detours and stops, so shy of 500 km, and I doubled it by including the return trip too.
Awesome write up and photos! I will be staring at them for a long long time!
Old 03-31-2015, 02:04 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by biglare
The Individual process is not so easy with BMW either.

I'll be sure to post up some photos once I take deliery!

Awesome write up and photos! I will be staring at them for a long long time!
I'm glad you persisted and are getting your dream car! And I really appreciate that Porsche and BMW go to such lengths. Looking forward to photos!

Here's one more to keep you coming back to this site until your own car gets here!!

Old 04-01-2015, 09:08 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Great post - fantastic color - congrats!
Old 05-08-2015, 02:45 AM
<3mph
Drifting

My wife and I decided to get the rest of the break in period over in one fell swoop. So we drove the GT3 from Vancouver, BC, Canada, to Los Angeles, CA, USA, and back last week! It was a great trip, and we especially loved meeting with friends (old and new) along the way. As for route, we made a point to drive scenic Hwy 1 from Leggett onwards on the way down (rather than 101 or I-5, which we took back home). What a spectacular drive! Highlights included the Redwoods, Napa/Sonoma (great tour at Frog's Leap, Yountville, Gaige House), hiking around Point Reyes (lighthouse, Chimney Rock), SF (Golden Gate bridge is so photogenic), Monterey (aquarium) and Carmel (just gorgeous!), Bixby Bridge, Big Sur and Pfeiffer State Park (including a bumpy drive down to Julia Pfeiffer Burns beach!!), LA (Guisados, JPL (ok we only got as far as the sentry gate!), hills over Griffiths observatory), and so much more! The northern-most section of several miles of Hwy 1 from Leggett down towards the coast was insanely twisty and so completely exhilarating to drive (a must drive if you get the chance)! We really enjoyed the canyons around Malibu (Stunt, Piuma, etc)! And of course the views along the coast were just unforgettable with beautiful beaches, stunning cliffs, mysterious fog, and intensely blue water and sky! This holiday was essentially the one year anniversary trip of our ED trip through Europe and an amazing coda to our previous road trip! It was the perfect way to connect with our GT3! Rather than write a big long description, I'll just post a bunch of photos.

Last edited by <3mph; 05-08-2015 at 03:32 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:40 AM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome pictures!
Old 05-08-2015, 04:20 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job in capturing the beautiful scenery and your car!
Old 05-08-2015, 09:10 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know more details about this 918? It may be Fashion grey, although it is also listed elsewhere as being Sport Classic grey (which I had understood was not approved for any cars since its first and only appearance on the 997 Sport Classic). Thanks!

Fantastic thread - thanks for taking time to post.

I was there when this 918 turned up (it is my old .2RS parked next to it - though the new owner put the yellow on ).

Its funny how certain colours suit different shapes - fashion grey certainly suits the 991 body - your car and that turbo look AMAAAAZING.

I thought it looked horrendous on the 918 - killed all the shape, lines and styling - I heard someone say the owner paid 250,000AED extra for the colour...... Dubai bull**** or real I don't know but if true, a **** load of money to ruin a car.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:07 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by anonymous918
awesome pictures!
Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing yours. Heard anything more about the timing?

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Great job in capturing the beautiful scenery and your car!
Both are just so photogenic, it's hard to stop taking pictures! Thanks!

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
A dealer by me has a Turbo S in this color that i saw in person last week. Amazing!!!
I think I've seen photos of it--I agree it looks great!

Originally Posted by 1198r
Fantastic thread - thanks for taking time to post.

I was there when this 918 turned up (it is my old .2RS parked next to it - though the new owner put the yellow on ).

Its funny how certain colours suit different shapes - fashion grey certainly suits the 991 body - your car and that turbo look AMAAAAZING.

I thought it looked horrendous on the 918 - killed all the shape, lines and styling - I heard someone say the owner paid 250,000AED extra for the colour...... Dubai bull**** or real I don't know but if true, a **** load of money to ruin a car.
Much appreciated! Interesting, your comments on the 918. I wonder if it was the car or the lighting. Fashion grey is a very understated colour (not for everyone), and maybe the 918 can pull of such bold colours that this one seems like a let down. Fortunately, the GT3 looks good to me in a lot of colours!!
Old 05-08-2015, 10:57 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pictures Daniel. Thanks for sharing. My wife and I plan to do a trip like this in the new year or two.

Car looks great !!

Old 05-08-2015, 11:18 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Wow! Beautiful pics of amazing scenery and car! The trip must have been a blast.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:33 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

beautiful photos!
stunning car too, in every aspect.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:06 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, what an amazing trip and pictures!!! The one photo of the empty roadway along the side of the mountain by the ocean reminded me of the trip Jack Torrence took with his family on the way up to his new job at the Overlook Hotel in "The Shining".

Just curious, did you get to see AND hear 9,000rpm?

Thanks for sharing, love the color!!!
Old 05-08-2015, 01:51 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Thanks for the nice comments! It is definitely worth it to do this in the gt3. We didn't mind putting 4500 km (3000 miles) on this single trip. Conekilr you need to do this!!! We both found the buckets to be totally fine even for 10 hr days in the car. And yes of course I had to make sure I hit 9k. I have to say I find anything over 7k to be pretty awesome already! 9k is out of this world!!
Old 05-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Default 'Modegrau' gt3 in Carmel...

My wife Karen (in green shawl) and I had the great pleasure of meeting Daniel and Becky during their brief stay in Carmel. We hosted them for drinks at our home and then, at their invitation, joined them for dinner at La Bicyclette in Dolores & 7th Avenue. Thank you again to both Daniel & Becky for the visit & lovely dinner feast! Hope you make it back for Rennsport V on Sept. 25th/27th at Laguna Seca!

By the way, the 'Modegrau' paint on this gt3 is simply stunning! The color, which is quite elegant and stylish in it's own right, creates a surprising 'big' look as captures the bigger dimensions of this new body style gt3! The color works better than I expected on this Porsche model!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 05-08-2015, 06:33 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Eduardo it was so nice to meet you and your lovely wife! Thanks for making our stop in Carmel even more memorable. We think your home and hometown are just beautiful! Hasta pronto,
Daniel

Quick Reply: The modegrau / Fashion grey thread