Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Go from Tracking a GT-R to a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 06:19 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone Go from Tracking a GT-R to a GT3?

My GT3 should be coming in this month and I'm excited to take it to the track.

I tracked my R35 GT-R for about two years and have become very proficient at driving it, have tracked in every major track in CA and have put down some
decent times. (I also track an old Nissan 240SX with really wide tires in the 24 Hours of Lemons race series and occasionally track my daily driver, a CLA45 AMG, for ****s and giggles.)

That being said, I'm used to AWD heavy front engine bias and have developed some bad habits.

One of my friends who is an instructor and has instructed me many times has told me that I need to be careful with the GT3 and that PASM won't save me from bad habits. He advised me that it will spin in corners if you let off the throttle. (He also instructs for Exotics Racing, so he's driven and seen the GT3 in action and has seen people spin it.)

I'm planning on taking it easy the first few track days with the car and of course having an instructor in the car. I'm also planning on doing a couple autocross events to get a better feel for the layout as well. (I'm also doing the three day AMG Pro Academy at COTA in May, so hopefully that will also get me back up to speed with RWD cars.)

I'm looking for any pointers that will help me be safe and figure out the GT3's layout compared to what I'm used to.

P.S. if anyone is interested in seeing my track videos, some are on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/nlpamg
Old 03-10-2015, 08:41 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Finesse. Nannies usually won't save you. Trail brake don't throw it in the corner, hard gas about apex.

Warch videos of gt3/911 lines.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:31 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 259 Posts

I'll tell you on Monday. My last track car was a GT-R. I'm taking my GT3 out for the first time Monday!!
Old 03-11-2015, 12:15 AM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just take it easy at the beginning and leave all the nannies on. It's always safe to remember: "slow in, fast out". Just make sure you slow down enough before a corner to prevent understeer. Once you've got the car turned in, the rear weight bias allows you to power out of turns very effectively.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:13 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,545 Likes on 2,584 Posts

Leave PSM on, start slow, build up in increments and be patient about learning the car. If your PSM intervenes, you definitely have bad habits which you need to replace with good habits.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:52 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Just don't drive into a wall and you'll be fine
Old 03-11-2015, 03:13 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Beside the obvious things..

best additional advice would be to not drive with your eyes or head, but with your ***. Plug yourself into the car and feel what it is doing and telling you. start slow and feel the rotation of the rear.. how it pivots.. feel how the balance shifts to the rear outside tire.. feel the diff working.. feel the grip levels changing.. feel the weight shifts... whenever i strap in, i stop and take several deep breaths and clean my mind and imagine myself literally being plugged into the car.. being one and connected. i focus my mind on all the sensations of the car and what it is doing.. my eyes are only to guide my direction and my brain is only to transmit the information and direct my hands and feet.. this might sound crazy.. but it truly works and enhances your ability to feel the car. Also, don't fear the GT3.. but respect it.. it will speak to you if only you are open to listen.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:19 AM
DChan415
AutoX

Yes Philip. Eazy peazy.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:25 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
Beside the obvious things..

best additional advice would be to not drive with your eyes or head, but with your ***. Plug yourself into the car and feel what it is doing and telling you. start slow and feel the rotation of the rear.. how it pivots.. feel how the balance shifts to the rear outside tire.. feel the diff working.. feel the grip levels changing.. feel the weight shifts... whenever i strap in, i stop and take several deep breaths and clean my mind and imagine myself literally being plugged into the car.. being one and connected. i focus my mind on all the sensations of the car and what it is doing.. my eyes are only to guide my direction and my brain is only to transmit the information and direct my hands and feet.. this might sound crazy.. but it truly works and enhances your ability to feel the car. Also, don't fear the GT3.. but respect it.. it will speak to you if only you are open to listen.
That is some pretty deep stuff - actually awesome
Old 03-11-2015, 09:34 AM
aznkuja328
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gtr is easier to track than gt3, but gt3 will make you feel more like a real driver.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:55 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Lots of time in the GTR but none in the GT3....yet
Old 03-11-2015, 11:02 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Although I've only tracked a GTR once, I found the GT3 easier to drive. With the GTR I felt like I was fighting the car and physics. With the GT3 I felt like I was working WITH the car and physics.

I too was fearful of my first time in a rear engine car. Those fears were gone after my first day.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:10 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Seat time and 991 GT3 ride alongs has worked best for me.

From my 2-year track experience thus far coming from a 2011 E92M and 2013 STi, the GT3:

1. Race lines appear to be slightly different due to higher grip levels at turns.
2. Will allow you trail brake longer to dive deep into turns at higher entry speeds, and will easily pivot at apex.
3. Stays planted at higher speeds at long sweepers (keep throttle on even if slight to keep rear grip).

I feel it's similar to the other cars I have driven in that it is a balancing act between the grip levels of all four tires albeit higher speeds with the GT3.

I am still learning the rear engine platform and looking forward to putting down better lap times. So far the best I could put down is 1:47 at ACS and 1:56 at BRP.

Enjoy!
Old 03-11-2015, 12:17 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

If your concern is the Snap Oversteer Randy Pobst referred to in his test:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t3_first_test/
“The turn-in is so accurate,” Pobst said. “Could be the best I’ve ever felt in a 911. The rear will let go in the middle of a corner.”

You can:
1. Always leave your Nannies ON
2. Never release the throttle quickly while cornering
3. Add additional rear downforce with the larger Crawford Rear Wing
http://crawfordcomposites.com/indust...ts/motorsports
(704) 483-4175
Old 03-11-2015, 01:32 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Leave PSM on, start slow, build up in increments and be patient about learning the car. If your PSM intervenes, you definitely have bad habits which you need to replace with good habits.
1000% No matter how much you prepare yourself, you still will have no idea how big a difference in "feel" there is between the two cars. Just respect that you have learned how to drive a very different animal, and you are practically starting from scratch with the 911.

Quick Reply: Anyone Go from Tracking a GT-R to a GT3?