Sponsored by:

How much to wrap the GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 05:29 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I think all original paint is with something for resale.
Some tracks are much harder on paint than others, Sebring is pretty bad and I can't see my car all shot blasted.

A really good wrap for an entire car should be 4-5k.
Just the sides and front much less..
I agree with you it's important for certain cars. For example, people looking for a ferrari or an R8 that could be using it more as a show piece than a track toy might find original paint more important.

For a used GT3 that was tracked, I think any buyer would understand if there was some paint work done for cosmetic purposes. Providing I take pictures and can show it was not done as a result of accident damage, I think it's fine.

At least when I own it and detail it, I don't need to deal with wrapped paint.

Again, completely personal decision IMO.

This idea that a new car HAS TO BE WRAPPED like some people believe is crazy.

The rock chips drive me less crazy than the wrap so for me it was an easy decision.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

If you keep hitting walls I guess it does not matter
So true :-)
Old 03-08-2015, 05:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonfreed
I agree with you it's important for certain cars. For example, people looking for a ferrari or an R8 that could be using it more as a show piece than a track toy might find original paint more important.

For a used GT3 that was tracked, I think any buyer would understand if there was some paint work done for cosmetic purposes. Providing I take pictures and can show it was not done as a result of accident damage, I think it's fine.

At least when I own it and detail it, I don't need to deal with wrapped paint.

Again, completely personal decision IMO.

This idea that a new car HAS TO BE WRAPPED like some people believe is crazy.

The rock chips drive me less crazy than the wrap so for me it was an easy decision.
I can't imagine selling a car that's either covered in scratches and full of road rash, the alternative is repaint most or all of the car and that takes some explaining. I for one would take a pass. I sold all my RS with like new looking original paint..

Originally Posted by Kobalt
So true :-)
Old 03-08-2015, 06:03 PM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the paint protection that wrapping provides and hope to find someone that will do a high quality job at a fair price. I don't mind paying for what I get but 7-10k seems way over the top to me.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:12 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't imagine selling a car that's either covered in scratches and full of road rash, the alternative is repaint most or all of the car and that takes some explaining. I for one would take a pass. I sold all my RS with like new looking original paint..

I think you're imagining a non-wrapped car being in poor condition. This is 100% not the case.

Why would a non-wrapped be full of scratches?

Sure, there will be some rock chips - that's slightly different than "full of road rash" and "covered in scratches".

The only part of the car that is protected would be the parts that are wrapped - for most people, that's the front end and maybe a re-do of the rear fender protection. The rest of the car goes unprotected and most people don't end up having crappy paint all over.

This is why the wrapping is such a personal choice.

I tend to put tons of miles on my cars and have never had a car wrapped prior to the R8. If I had to do it over again, I would not have had it wrapped.

We will have to agree to disagree here.

I will be sure not to contact you with a link to my FS ad when I sell
Old 03-08-2015, 07:06 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You can still get rock chips with a wrap on
Old 03-08-2015, 09:24 PM
Total911_GT3RS
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wvick
I like the paint protection that wrapping provides and hope to find someone that will do a high quality job at a fair price. I don't mind paying for what I get but 7-10k seems way over the top to me.
I used Clear Pro in Murrietta. $1000. It wasn't a full wrap but they did an excellent job on the full front. I had them do my GT3RS in 2011 and it still looks great. I also had them do my 997.2 turbo which now someone else is enjoying since I sold it to get my GT3. Lance at Clear Pro did a great job. Not sure the price though on a full wrap.

I am actually on the fence as whether to wrap my GT3. I am done buying 911s so not sure whether to do the wrap this time. I know I have said I am done buying 911s 3 times before but this time I mean it.... errrr Maybe...
Old 03-08-2015, 10:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,791 Likes on 4,779 Posts

For what it's worth, I would not want to buy a car that has been wrapped.

Most wraps, regardless of the brand (e.g. Suntek, Xpel, 3M, etc.), do not age well. At some point, a wrapped car will need to either (1) have the original wrap removed or (2) re-wrapped.

Either option come with their own complications, and are not inexpensive. Removing the wrap, while it may sound easy, is not a simply turn-key operation where you do it and you're done. As in, if the car only has a partial wrap you're going to end up with lines and/or different shades of color. Then what do you do?

Again, all personal preferences.

But going back to the OP's question about the price of wrapping (and not whether to wrap), it just depends on the installer. Some charge more, and rightfully so, others less. Try to talk to different installers, look at their previous work (if possible), ask for references, and if all those things check out, then try to negotiate a price that you're comfortable with. I Just know that I've heard that a full wrap for a GT3 can run anywhere from 5k to upwards of 10k, and more.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:22 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
For what it's worth, I would not want to buy a car that has been wrapped.

Most wraps, regardless of the brand (e.g. Suntek, Xpel, 3M, etc.), do not age well. At some point, a wrapped car will need to either (1) have the original wrap removed or (2) re-wrapped.

Either option come with their own complications, and are not inexpensive. Removing the wrap, while it may sound easy, is not a simply turn-key operation where you do it and you're done. As in, if the car only has a partial wrap you're going to end up with lines and/or different shades of color. Then what do you do?

Again, all personal preferences.

But going back to the OP's question about the price of wrapping (and not whether to wrap), it just depends on the installer. Some charge more, and rightfully so, others less. Try to talk to different installers, look at their previous work (if possible), ask for references, and if all those things check out, then try to negotiate a price that you're comfortable with. I Just know that I've heard that a full wrap for a GT3 can run anywhere from 5k to upwards of 10k, and more.

Good luck.
i agree with this only if the wrap is extensive and has been on the car for a long time.

if someone does a front bumper wrap with XPEL or other high end product, you can remove or replace every few years and wouldn't know the difference... i am ok with eating a couple thousand every few years to keep paint original and unharmed if that is the worst case scenario...
Old 03-08-2015, 11:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Seen a few cars get unwrapped and they looked fine. Im sure a hack job can do damage but if you use a good installer no issues..
I had my cars vinyl wrapped and clear bra wrapped and they looked new underneath. Many, many have done so on very expensive new cars so I thing damage due to a clear bra is an exception.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Seen a few cars get unwrapped and they looked fine. Im sure a hack job can do damage but if you use a good installer no issues..
I had my cars vinyl wrapped and clear bra wrapped and they looked new underneath. Many, many have done so on very expensive new cars so I thing damage due to a clear bra is an exception.
i with with reter here.
1. clr bra has limited life. 2-3 years tops, like your clothes, you have to change it. can't wear the same shirt every day.
2. a pro can peel film off ENTIRE car in 2-3 hours. i have done this many many many times. zero damage.
3. the prices you guys all quoting are great. here in silicon valley, 1/2 car is $3000 full car is often $10,000. no this is NO typo.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:47 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RS owners should definitely consider full wrap or at least front and sides because it looks like fine sand and road debris will find it's way through the screens of the vents just like the snow did in this pic

Old 03-09-2015, 04:48 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did that but the vinyl barely lasted a year before complety discoloring and staining.
I wonder what they used? I had a few track years on my vinyl on one car and a couple seasons of rally racing on the other car. Performance stage rally=***** out on mostly gravel, dirt, large rocks every now and then, dust, asphalt, snow, ice. Vinyl weathered it pretty darn well. Looked freshly waxed before each event.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:49 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
RS owners should definitely consider full wrap or at least front and sides because it looks like fine sand and road debris will find it's way through the screens of the vents just like the snow did in this pic

Canadian, Alaskan, and Minnesotan RS owners should just leave their RSs with me in CA.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:56 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonfreed
I think you're imagining a non-wrapped car being in poor condition. This is 100% not the case.

Why would a non-wrapped be full of scratches?

Sure, there will be some rock chips - that's slightly different than "full of road rash" and "covered in scratches".

The only part of the car that is protected would be the parts that are wrapped - for most people, that's the front end and maybe a re-do of the rear fender protection. The rest of the car goes unprotected and most people don't end up having crappy paint all over.

This is why the wrapping is such a personal choice.

I tend to put tons of miles on my cars and have never had a car wrapped prior to the R8. If I had to do it over again, I would not have had it wrapped.

We will have to agree to disagree here.

I will be sure not to contact you with a link to my FS ad when I sell
yeah, but do you drive FLATOUT?

Quick Reply: How much to wrap the GT3?