Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   GT3 does not equal DD (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/856759-gt3-does-not-equal-dd.html)

nycjwi 02-03-2015 02:10 AM

GT3 does not equal DD

Today I took the car out in mild traffic and came to the conclusion that this car is not intended to be a Daily Driver. When the car is in Automatic, non Sport mode and you are driving in city traffic it really does not sound happy. So much clunking and popping etc. I know it is normal because i have experienced it in other 991 gt3s.

Today the more I did it the worst it got. Once i was able to drive it with a bit more spirited rpm it sounded and acted perfectly.

There is no way this car is happy being driven in this type of environment so to that i say unless you are always going to be pretty clear of traffic this is not a DD!

Also, on a totally separate note i don't like the shape of the wheel and paddle setup nearly as much as Scud. Maybe i will get used to it but position of hands if you are working the paddles just doesn't feel as natural as scud setup.

silverrules 02-03-2015 02:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ya, this car is no fun stuck in traffic. Need a road like this to work and it be a good DD.

monkiboy48 02-03-2015 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by nycjwi (Post 12008594)
Today I took the car out in mild traffic and came to the conclusion that this car is not intended to be a Daily Driver. When the car is in Automatic, non Sport mode and you are driving in city traffic it really does not sound happy. So much clunking and popping etc. I know it is normal because i have experienced it in other 991 gt3s.

Today the more I did it the worst it got. Once i was able to drive it with a bit more spirited rpm it sounded and acted perfectly.

There is no way this car is happy being driven in this type of environment so to that i say unless you are always going to be pretty clear of traffic this is not a DD!

Also, on a totally separate note i don't like the shape of the wheel and paddle setup nearly as much as Scud. Maybe i will get used to it but position of hands if you are working the paddles just doesn't feel as natural as scud setup.

Interesting take on this. I personally love it! I have never driven in auto mode before. Maybe using the paddles will help more? The differences that irritate you is what makes the car feel so special to me.

The biggest difference compared to the M3's DCT is that the PDK-S doesn't coast at all. In my M3, the DCT would coast once you give the car some gas from a standstill. Does the scuderia coast?

UAEGT3 02-03-2015 05:42 AM

I actually find if you are stuck in traffic leaving it in Auto is even worst. bcz it shifts to soon and feels like its going to bog down. Drive it in manual use the paddle and u will notice its much more drivable even in heavy traffic.

I have a Scud too, the reason it feels better with the scud is bcz the paddles have slightly longer ears thus you can flick them to shift gears from nearly any position.

Monkiyboy48, the scud will not coast , once you take your foot of the gas pedal it will eventually come to a stop and not continue to coast as in a regular automatic transmission.

bronson7 02-03-2015 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by silverrules (Post 12008623)
ya, this car is no fun stuck in traffic. Need a road like this to work and it be a good DD.

Now that certainly looks like it would be fun. Hopefully there are guard rails everywhere, or else.... oops.

shapiroeric 02-03-2015 08:30 AM

I think it makes a great DD.....

ATXGT3 02-03-2015 08:32 AM

Sorry it doesn't work for you.

However, most find it a DD for sure. It ALL depends on your situation.

Many find a 458 a DD and others can't stand it.

If you sit in 4 hours of traffic a day vs someone who sits in occasional traffic, it would be different.

I think you need to drive it in manual mode.

Think you posted question about TTs as well--it's all opinion.

If you're stuck in traffic all day, grab a beater DD and use the GT3 on the weekend.

24Chromium 02-03-2015 09:52 AM

So, I've been doing it all wrong for the past 5 months and 5000 miles?

Manifold 02-03-2015 09:57 AM

It's a real sports car, not a Lexus. But I find it to be fine in traffic, just put in normal auto and relax. I would have no issues using it as a DD.

Scott997 02-03-2015 10:04 AM

If you think a 991 GT3 can't be a daily driver, you have not experienced or owned a 997.2 GT3 ;-)
Drive one of those daily for a while then step into a 991.

llstuey 02-03-2015 10:15 AM

I agree that it doesn't like being driven in slow traffic but using auto to cruise around in start/stop conditions makes it worse, not better. Also try playing with pulling both paddles in to smooth things out when you come to a stop - I find that is effective and makes the driving more interesting.

LAGinz 02-03-2015 10:18 AM

I'm in LA and traffic often sucks beyond belief. I cannot imagine anything making this enjoyable from a true driver's perspective. But....sitting in a GT3..., feeling like you're driving a caged animal....is a kind of cool sensation!

RUF RS 02-03-2015 10:19 AM

I noticed that you live in Santa Monica. I live in Brentwood. Around here, NOTHING is a DD.....:roflmao:

Originally Posted by nycjwi (Post 12008594)

Strimdog 02-03-2015 10:24 AM

If you run this car in its normal AUTO mode anywhere other than cruising at freeway speed I can see how the OP would feel this way. That's why for me it's manual mode on the street and PDK-S on the track.

bigkraig 02-03-2015 10:30 AM

westside bumper to bumper traffic isnt fun in any car.