ENGINE CONTROL FAULT

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 06:47 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Just had my 12,000 service.
Is that 12K miles since engine replacement or since new? Did the car tell you to go to service or did you do it yourself based on the book schedule? I'll be at 12K in a couple of month, but I had 1.5K on the old engine.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:06 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts
Default ENGINE CONTROL FAULT

It was 11,200 on the new engine. I needed new tires so I just had all done at the same time, when ever the tires arrived from Tire Rack.

They replaced ignition coil on cylinder one. Seems to be fine now. Fortunately my short occurred with the engine immediately on start up, so low RPM. Hopefully no problems with cylinders or liners.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,787 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Just had my 12,000 service, new plugs, oil change,brake fluid replaced and new tires (my 4th set) done yesterday. Started car this morning and same warning came up, very rough at low RPMs. The engine did much better at 3-4K rpm. Drove it to dealer and they diagnosed an ignition coil shorted out causing a misfire. Going to pick up. Hopefully this is not a recurring theme.
Mine is a 2014 with a new engine. I have 15 track days, 1,400 track miles.
Sorry to hear, David.

Keep us posted and good luck with it.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:02 AM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like too many engine replacements for me.

Friend of mine had engine replacement on 2000 km GT3 last month.

I'm a bit worried of that. It's ok while you're covered by warranty, but in some countries (like the one I live) you just can not buy extended warranty for Porsches. What's then? How much a new engine costs? I bet it's at least 20.000 EUR.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:21 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Just had my 12,000 service, new plugs, oil change,brake fluid replaced and new tires (my 4th set) done yesterday. Started car this morning and same warning came up, very rough at low RPMs. The engine did much better at 3-4K rpm. Drove it to dealer and they diagnosed an ignition coil shorted out causing a misfire. Going to pick up. Hopefully this is not a recurring theme.
Mine is a 2014 with a new engine. I have 15 track days, 1,400 track miles.
Probably cracked or messed up,coil during plug replacement. Nice on the miles. Keep racking them up!

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I'll be at 12K in a couple of month, but I had 1.5K on the old engine.
Nice!

Originally Posted by levd
How much a new engine costs? I bet it's at least 20.000 EUR.
For a standard Carrera s motor sure.
2-3x that likely.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:30 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Update on my ignition coil short. So far so good since the replacement. I have pushed the car, revving it up to 8-9 K without issues. Seems like things are back to normal.
I agree, they may have caused the problem during the while installing the new spark plugs. Might want to tell your SA a friendly reminder to be super careful during the spark plug change. Mine may have been the first 991 GT3 my dealer has done the plug change, not too many people have 12 K miles on their GT3.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:42 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Update on my ignition coil short. So far so good since the replacement. I have pushed the car, revving it up to 8-9 K without issues. Seems like things are back to normal.
I agree, they may have caused the problem during the while installing the new spark plugs. Might want to tell your SA a friendly reminder to be super careful during the spark plug change. Mine may have been the first 991 GT3 my dealer has done the plug change, not too many people have 12 K miles on their GT3.
Awesome, thanks for the update!
Old 07-14-2015, 01:11 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

David ,
good to hear and keeper her rolling.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Giod work David. Sounds like an install issue. I was told bymy local tech a special tool is required for removing/replacing the "plugs" on this car and they had one on order as they had not needed it prior. Not sure if this is accurate but passing it along. I wonder if that had something to do with it....
Old 07-14-2015, 11:10 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Giod work David. Sounds like an install issue. I was told bymy local tech a special tool is required for removing/replacing the "plugs" on this car and they had one on order as they had not needed it prior. Not sure if this is accurate but passing it along. I wonder if that had something to do with it....
Sounds like we need a tool added to the sticky at the top of this forum!
Old 07-15-2015, 07:46 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks Macca, I will remind them next time!
Old 07-21-2015, 08:05 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Had another engine fault code, ok to drive come up today. Before the code came up I noticed the exhaust note didn't sound right, like the valves were not opening at 4k. Took it in and the The OBD reported a coolant issue, NOT a misfire or coil issue. Hmmmm. So have not heard back about what they have to do, but was wondering if others have noted this as well. It was NOT a thermostat issue.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:39 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Default Another Thermostat!!!

Well, I've been updated. Another thermostat stuck in the open position! This is my fourth bad thermostat. This was supposed to be a new and improved thermostat, but its doing the exact same thing as before, although the warning is different. My GT tech is putting a communication in to PAG to see if there have been others and whether there is something different to do. The new thermostat is installed, car should be back in my hands tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
wg8221 (08-13-2023)
Old 07-22-2015, 11:42 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was a thermostat issue too. Fixed....with fingers crossed.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I've been updated. Another thermostat stuck in the open position! This is my fourth bad thermostat. This was supposed to be a new and improved thermostat, but its doing the exact same thing as before, although the warning is different. My GT tech is putting a communication in to PAG to see if there have been others and whether there is something different to do. The new thermostat is installed, car should be back in my hands tomorrow.
I'm on my second and after a track day recently it stuck open the whole way home (1 hr drive). Sure enough half way to the dealer the next day it started to function correctly and they reset the code and told me to keep an eye on it. Annoying because I just know it will go at some point. What is it with Porsche and their thermostat supplier. It's a friggin simple device and they been having 100s failures now since 2011 - so annoyed they can't get this right. We used to laugh Bout Ferrari build quality but they are getting better and Porsche are getting worse!!

Quick Reply: ENGINE CONTROL FAULT