Sponsored by:

Ok decision time - lets talk xpel clear bra - yes I have searched

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ok decision time - lets talk xpel clear bra - yes I have searched

I have had clear bras on some cars, some not. Honestly, without them I never really saw any significant paint/rock chips. My 11 GT3 had 8k miles when I sold it and no bra, no rock chips.

Having said that, I do think that I want to put on this car. XPEL ultimate. I hear nothing but good things, and I like the no yellowing warranty for 10 yrs.

My question is how much to put. I have read lots of opinions on this topic using search function. My inclination would be to ONLY put on the front bumper/nose, headlights, hood and mirrors. I tend to think if you start putting on more than that - fenders, roof, etc., you might as well wrap the whole car, which I just don't want to do. As some have said, might as well not drive the car.

So - if you have put a clear bra/wrap on your car, I would love to hear your rationale on how much you covered. I am thinking that anything more than the areas I described is such low risk, that I am not planning to cover. Theoretically a rock could hit anywhere. But with the areas I described covered, there shouldn't be any lines and all the low forward surfaces are protected.

About 1500.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:43 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are the areas I am going to use Xpel Ultimate on. I like to wax and polish hood, so that is out. I'm not a serious track person so no need for more. Have had many high end cars and zero chips without Xpel.

Coverage 1:
P2502LO-Bumper
Coverage 1 Options:
Wrapped Edges

Coverage 2:
P2502LR-Rocker Panel Kit
Coverage 2 Options:
Wrapped Edges

Coverage 3:
P2502MH-Rear Bumper Kit
Coverage 3 Options:
Wrapped Edges

Mirrors (both)
Old 01-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I have had clear bras on some cars, some not. Honestly, without them I never really saw any significant paint/rock chips. My 11 GT3 had 8k miles when I sold it and no bra, no rock chips.

Having said that, I do think that I want to put on this car. XPEL ultimate. I hear nothing but good things, and I like the no yellowing warranty for 10 yrs.

My question is how much to put. I have read lots of opinions on this topic using search function. My inclination would be to ONLY put on the front bumper/nose, headlights, hood and mirrors. I tend to think if you start putting on more than that - fenders, roof, etc., you might as well wrap the whole car, which I just don't want to do. As some have said, might as well not drive the car.

So - if you have put a clear bra/wrap on your car, I would love to hear your rationale on how much you covered. I am thinking that anything more than the areas I described is such low risk, that I am not planning to cover. Theoretically a rock could hit anywhere. But with the areas I described covered, there shouldn't be any lines and all the low forward surfaces are protected.

About 1500.
I applaud you for going 8k miles and no chips. My 2015 is metallic white, and I had the entire front-end wrapped to the A-pillar with no issues. I agree with the theory avoiding turning the car into a mummy. I have a couple stone chips that cut the film, but I few stones hitting the car at 125 mph only a bullet proof vest would help.

Based on some of my high speed mountain drives the 1200 bucks I paid has clearly saved my paint! I took a few stone chips on the windshield. When I drive my car I enjoy it for the few weekends I get to take it out. By no means do I worry about a few scratches from washing that a trained eye can only see just enjoy the car and have fun. Good luck, and if you plan on taking the car on the track or some safe spirited drives I recommend the clear bra.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:09 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

good info, keep it coming.
I definitely think that I am doing the front nose/bumper and the side mirrors. Hood I am on the fence about. Fenders. roof, rear, quarters, I just don't see happening
Old 01-23-2015, 10:15 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 512 Posts

I did nose, full hood, full fenders, rockers with spats in one piece and area behind rear wheels. The installer is key. I've seen some pretty crappy jobs with the same film.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:28 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I've done the full front (bumper, hood, fenders, A pillars, no lines) on two of my Porsches so far. The first one (the Boxster) looked brand new when I removed the clear-bra after 7 years, 40k miles, and many track days. Very happy with that decision. You only need to cover the areas that are directly exposed to incoming rocks/debris (the front). You need full fenders + hood to eliminate any visible lines/edges.

If you intend to track it (even for a few days a year), a clear-bra is a must, IMO.

On the other hand, if you don't plan to track it, if it will see little highway driving, and if you will mostly enjoy it on empty country roads, then you may skip the clear-bra.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:36 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

If rock chips don't bother you and you are not going to track, don't get it.

On my previous 991 4S which was tracked a lot and driven in all weather it had chips everywhere. The front, rockers, and fenders were the worst.

On my 991 GT3 I did front bumper, full hood, rockers, mirrors, lights(I know they say don't do it, but my installer will take it off and deal with it if there is an issue) and rear fenders. Almost impossible to find the line on the rear fenders. Went with xpel ultimate. When I see a chip/imperfection on my cars I always see them, even though others probably won't notice.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:46 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fastmd
If rock chips don't bother you and you are not going to track, don't get it.

On my previous 991 4S which was tracked a lot and driven in all weather it had chips everywhere. The front, rockers, and fenders were the worst.

On my 991 GT3 I did front bumper, full hood, rockers, mirrors, lights(I know they say don't do it, but my installer will take it off and deal with it if there is an issue) and rear fenders. Almost impossible to find the line on the rear fenders. Went with xpel ultimate. When I see a chip/imperfection on my cars I always see them, even though others probably won't notice.
i am very much the same way...I am OCD with my cars... I just find this not such a straight forward answer. The car wont be tracked. Weekend duty only. I see doing the front lower bumper, hood, mirrors as a way to get the most vulnerable spots, see no lines, but not mess with fenders, rear arches, roof, back, rockers, etc.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:02 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

i am very much the same way...I am OCD with my cars... I just find this not such a straight forward answer. The car wont be tracked. Weekend duty only. I see doing the front lower bumper, hood, mirrors as a way to get the most vulnerable spots, see no lines, but not mess with fenders, rear arches, roof, back, rockers, etc.
Since you are not going to track it, don't get it, or just get the front bumper and leave the hood/rockers/mirrors bare. It will look better without the wrap. I live in NJ and in the northeast our roads suck.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:02 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

entire front clip, A pillars, 8-10" leading edge of roof, rockers, sills and behind each wheel.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:05 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I got full fenders, bumper, full hoods, rockers. My installer refused to do headlights - has seen the delam issue first hand on a 918. Cost was $1300 I think.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:05 PM
nyamg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I did nose, full hood, full fenders, rockers with spats in one piece and area behind rear wheels. The installer is key. I've seen some pretty crappy jobs with the same film.
^^this
Old 01-23-2015, 11:14 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Doing the following on Monday:

full hood, full fenders, mirrors
bumper
A-pillars only
full roof
rocker panel kit( texture paint covered)
head light/fog lights
Both doors

I just look at my 997.1 RS that has partial coverage and that was enough for me to decide to get full coverage on hood/roof.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:17 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

good info, keep it coming.
I definitely think that I am doing the front nose/bumper and the side mirrors. Hood I am on the fence about. Fenders. roof, rear, quarters, I just don't see happening
I did full bumpers, hood, front fenders, mirrors, leading edge of roof, pillars, rockers, 1/4 doors, high up on rear fenders (almost entire), part of bumper directly behind wheels.

If I had to choose the absolute must have areas, it would be the rockers and rear fenders. With the amount of chips and debris these tires throw up, those xpel areas have taken the most amount of damage and saved my paintwork no end.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:22 AM
spooky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am agonising over the decision but am coming round to doing full front (nose, bonnet, wings) and may add rear bumper as sticky tyres & stones don't mix well with paint! Kinda thinking protecting a forward facing panel could also save panel next to it requiring attention? Will defo be seeing the track.

Quick Reply: Ok decision time - lets talk xpel clear bra - yes I have searched