Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone replaced their front spoiler yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015 | 11:11 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

I have a new spoiler sitting in the garage ready to replace this weekend if it warms up a bit. Kissed a curb when I wasn't paying attention. The spoiler and Xpel Ultimate absorbed the damage. I probably shouldn't bother replacing it yet. You can hardly notice the scrapes, but I know they are there. When I hit the curb it it felt like a telephone pole when through the front grill. All I can say is thank goodness for Xpel. I would have done visible damage to the bumper if I didn't have it installed. There was a little rash on it so I peeled it back the bumper was fine. The stuff is really thick. Need to have Derek at Atlanta Protective Films touchup the bumper for me. I'll let you know how the spoiler install goes when I get to it.
Old 01-09-2015 | 11:22 PM
Jpacione
Pro

Originally Posted by Lodi
I have a new spoiler sitting in the garage ready to replace this weekend if it warms up a bit. Kissed a curb when I wasn't paying attention. The spoiler and Xpel Ultimate absorbed the damage. I probably shouldn't bother replacing it yet. You can hardly notice the scrapes, but I know they are there. When I hit the curb it it felt like a telephone pole when through the front grill. All I can say is thank goodness for Xpel. I would have done visible damage to the bumper if I didn't have it installed. There was a little rash on it so I peeled it back the bumper was fine. The stuff is really thick. Need to have Derek at Atlanta Protective Films touchup the bumper for me. I'll let you know how the spoiler install goes when I get to it.
Thank you, and sorry to hear about the curb incident. I winced reading it. Xpel has saved one of my cars in the last year as well. Love that stuff. Good luck with the spoiler replacement - looking forward to your update!
Old 01-10-2015 | 09:51 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I got mine off in 1-2 seconds. It's a simple procedure: enter a corner faster than you should, try to correct as much as you can, go off track in the bumpy section, slow car to a halt, get out and retrieve spoiler. Easy! Good luck.

Had a good laugh at that one Sam.
Old 01-10-2015 | 10:25 PM
Greentree
Intermediate

I've replaced mine several times on my 2008 GT3. I always bought OEM until this last time. I bought an aftermarket product available on Amazon and elsewhere. It's made in Taiwan. Cost $201.00 --about seventy dollars cheaper than OEM. It doesn't fit. Comparison with the OEM product showed the aftermarket one doesn't have sufficient clearance just above the lip's air cut-outs. It couldn't be pressed into place on the bumper. I suppose I could have made it fit by trimming material off my front bumper with a snips, but I'm not going to do that. Also, the product had no provision for the fasteners at each end. So heads up!
Old 01-10-2015 | 10:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greentree
I've replaced mine several times on my 2008 GT3. I always bought OEM until this last time. I bought an aftermarket product available on Amazon and elsewhere. It's made in Taiwan. Cost $201.00 --about seventy dollars cheaper than OEM. It doesn't fit. Comparison with the OEM product showed the aftermarket one doesn't have sufficient clearance just above the lip's air cut-outs. It couldn't be pressed into place on the bumper. I suppose I could have made it fit by trimming material off my front bumper with a snips, but I'm not going to do that. Also, the product had no provision for the fasteners at each end. So heads up!
$201 for a knock-off?

Sunset Porsche (not Suncoast) has it for about $160, plus about $60 for shipping.
Old 01-11-2015 | 01:27 AM
gt2urbo
Pro

I had 2 offs today at streets of willow in the rain. and i had 0 damage to the car and to the front lip. to my surprise. a 997 rs lip would have come off/broken based on my experience.
Old 01-12-2015 | 08:14 PM
Greentree
Intermediate

Yeah, it depends on the track. My home track is Texas World Speedway. When you go off there, if you're lucky, you just end up in the grass. I've never lost my lip there, but the front brake air scoops frequently tear off. The same holds true for the GT2 rear brake air scoops (if you've got them) which is why I don't use them.

Thanks for the tip about Sunset.
Old 01-14-2015 | 10:56 PM
Jpacione
Pro

Has anyone else had a chance to do this yet? Looking to compare notes. I tried this past weekend, but could not get the spoiler off.
Old 01-18-2015 | 08:45 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

i finally replaced my spoiler today. Pretty easy, although getting the old one off takes a little work. The spoiler is attached by a single screw on each end and several tabs that lock into slots in the front bumper. In addition to the spoiler screws I removed the two screws in each wheel well closest to the spoiler. I thought removing these would help loosen the spoiler but I'm not sure they did anything. Once the spoiler screws were removed it took a little force to get the old spoiler out. The tabs don't release easily. I pulled some free with a good tug. For others I gently slid an old screwdriver above the tabs to release them from the slots in the bumper. I was very careful to avoid contact with the painted edge of the bumper. I don't know if this is the correct method for releasing the tabs so I am not advocating doing it this way, but it worked for me. It may be worth checking with a service advisor or tech to see if there is a procedure for releasing the tabs. Once the old spoiler was removed I installed the new one by attaching it on the right side of the bumper and snapping the tabs into place as I worked my way around to the left side. I then replaced the screws and that was it. The whole thing probably took 30 minutes, but that is because I was taking my time. It can probably be done in half that. Below are some pictures I took along the way. Hope this is helpful!

The screw on top of the black tab holds the spoiler to the vehicle.

A sample of the tabs that hold the spoiler to the bumper.

Pulling the spoiler free from the bumper.

Spoiler coming free.

Using screwdriver to release tabs.

No spoiler.

Shiny new spoiler!
Old 01-18-2015 | 09:04 PM
Jpacione
Pro

i finally replaced my spoiler today. Pretty easy, although getting the old one off takes a little work. The spoiler is attached by a single screw on each end and several tabs that lock into slots in the front bumper. In addition to the spoiler screws I removed the two screws in each wheel well closest to the spoiler. I thought removing these would help loosen the spoiler but I'm not sure they did anything. Once the spoiler screws were removed it took a little force to get the old spoiler out. The tabs don't release easily. I pulled some free with a good tug. For others I gently slid an old screwdriver above the tabs to release them from the slots in the bumper. I was very careful to avoid contact with the painted edge of the bumper. I don't know if this is the correct method for releasing the tabs so I am not advocating doing it this way, but it worked for me. It may be worth checking with a service advisor or tech to see if there is a procedure for releasing the tabs. Once the old spoiler was removed I installed the new one by attaching it on the right side of the bumper and snapping the tabs into place as I worked my way around to the left side. I then replaced the screws and that was it. The whole thing probably took 30 minutes, but that is because I was taking my time. It can probably be done in half that. Below are some pictures I took along the way. Hope this is helpful!

Spoiler coming free.

No spoiler.

Shiny new spoiler!
Thanks for posting! When removing, did you start with an end? Do you have to twist the end a certain way, or pull the end straight out from the wheel well section? Feel like I'm bending the underlying structure when I pull on it...
Old 01-19-2015 | 12:08 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

I pulled each end out then worked the tabs. You need to work them a bit. If you remove a couple of screws from the inner fender I think you can see behind the spoiler and possibly release the first tab with a screwdriver. If not, twist and pull. It will let go. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2015 | 08:45 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Spoiler coming free.

No spoiler.

Shiny new spoiler!

thnx for the write up and images Lodi
Old 12-08-2015 | 11:53 AM
SMGT3
Racer

Ordered my front lip from Suncoast during thanksgiving, $179, free shipping. Took less than 5 minutes to replace. After removing the 2 screws with a torx wrench, pulled hard and the front splitter came off. I would have never known to pull so hard if I didn't read this post before. You do need to push hard and slap the corner areas so the tabs go in properly.

Old 12-08-2015 | 05:11 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

I'm just going to grind mine down until it finally clears everything I presently drive over
Old 12-08-2015 | 05:53 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=SMGT3;12823722]Ordered my front lip from Suncoast during thanksgiving, $179, free shipping. [QUOTE]

I took advantage of the same deal and now that it's here I've just wrapped it up and will leave the old one on until it's absolutely shot I think.

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced their front spoiler yet?