Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tidal wave after washing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Porsche997s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using a master blaster for three years ... It works great !! It heats the air a little so it helps the small residual drops evaporate.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:35 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by STG991
Agree
Old 12-23-2014, 02:42 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Who's this Will guy anyway? A detailer?

Isn't he blowing out the cars after? Bizarre.

The per square inch air flow the Master Blaster has doesn't even come close to some leaf blower. Maybe use a rake to clean snow off the car too?
Old 12-23-2014, 02:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 159 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
The per square inch air flow the Master Blaster has doesn't even come close to some leaf blower. Maybe use a rake to clean snow off the car too?
First, we don't get snow here so I can keep my rake in the tool shed.

No doubt about the air flow, but a decent leaf blower, especially with a focusing attachment on the end, is perfectly adequate for blowing water out of crevices and crannies, drying off the brakes, etc. I used to worry more about that last one before I got the PCCB's, which don't leave nasty residue in the disk vent holes to spin out on your wheels, and before I got my water deionizer.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 184 Posts

I've been using a $29 Craftsmen electric blower for 9 years now with no signs
of failing
Sure the MB is a nice item, @ $340+, thats a bit stiff for what it does
Old 12-23-2014, 03:16 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Geez, what kind of leaf blower do you guys use that blows 2 cycle exhaust gas along with the air output?

My gas engine blower spins an impeller that blows clean air; not oil, dirt, or what have you. Starts easy, works great, no need to uncoil an extension cord and drag it around. It would be nice to have that $350 tool also, I suppose, but not necessary. Now a Spotless water deionizer, that's necessary! Carry on....
Mike,

These are my thoughts YMMV, if I didn't already have an electric leaf blower, I'd own a master blaster.

You get contaminant if the operator ...
Drips any two-cycle oil anywhere on the blower while filling (e.g. mix in the unit)
Drips any two-cycle gas/oil mix while filling

You eventually get contaminant if ...
The two cycle motor leaks at all (I have had several two-cycle weed wackers, they all leak a little over time)

The structures around the car when operating the blower along with the ducting on the unit will determine how much of the exhaust gas gets cycled back into the air stream either directly (pulled into the blower intake and accelerated) or indirectly (gets swept along with the high speed stream exiting the blower).

When using any blower, even a vacuum with a directional exhaust near a car you should take precautions to ensure particles on the ground are not accelerated towards the vehicle. When blow drying I do it where I just washed the car - I take extra steps to make sure that the slab the car is parked on is clean and wet.

Ryan
Old 12-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nyamg
Same exact thing happened to me after leaving Wills place, incredibly annoying!!
You are all looking at this the wrong way. Yesterday I spoke to the guy who grooms my cars. He works for the Porsche dealership. Hes driven every Porsche series production car of the last decade.

First thing he tells me is how well the aero is working on the new 991 GT3 to cool the front radiator and cites exactly the issue you are mentioning as teh reasoning. Says in the 997.2 GT3 etc this did not happen because the bumper wasnt designed to exit the air as efficiently however with the 991 GT3 its a really nice design the air just slips through their increasing downforce and running fast air over the centre radiator...

I dont was my car often so I was more than happy with his explanation!
Old 12-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by reidry
Mike,

These are my thoughts YMMV, if I didn't already have an electric leaf blower, I'd own a master blaster.

You get contaminant if the operator ...
Drips any two-cycle oil anywhere on the blower while filling (e.g. mix in the unit)
Drips any two-cycle gas/oil mix while filling

You eventually get contaminant if ...
The two cycle motor leaks at all (I have had several two-cycle weed wackers, they all leak a little over time)

The structures around the car when operating the blower along with the ducting on the unit will determine how much of the exhaust gas gets cycled back into the air stream either directly (pulled into the blower intake and accelerated) or indirectly (gets swept along with the high speed stream exiting the blower).

When using any blower, even a vacuum with a directional exhaust near a car you should take precautions to ensure particles on the ground are not accelerated towards the vehicle. When blow drying I do it where I just washed the car - I take extra steps to make sure that the slab the car is parked on is clean and wet.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan. After reading about this issue before, I tried testing my blower with a white towel and could find no sign of contamination. I understand that in use it could be different but my white Cayenne shows no ill effects either. I'll keep an eye on it.

Honestly, since I got my deionizer I rarely use the blower any more anyway. I usually take a short 2 mile run after a wash to blow out excess water, dry the brakes, and let water that has accumulated in the undercarriage drain out. Since I'm only a few hundred yards from a rural road I can easily get up to 70 mph which does the job. Since my water is made spotless by the deionizer I pretty much let the car air dry after that which minimizes contact with the paint. Maybe because I have such a steep driveway all the water drains out of the nose area as I'm leaving because I've never experienced the "tidal wave effect" with water flushing out of the front vents.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:20 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I usually take a short 2 mile run after a wash to blow out excess water, dry the brakes, and let water that has accumulated in the undercarriage drain out.
Whew ... for a second there I thought you were actually adding a 2 mile jog to your car washing routine. I was really going to have to step up my game!

Ryan
Old 12-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Your Tidal wave is not uncommon and I agree on using an electric blower for the crevices ect.. I would never use a gas blower. MB is very good but is very expensive. You can google electric blower for cars and can find a couple at a 1/3 the price that are very good. I prefer one with a rubber/flexible
apparatus attached so if you bump your car there will be no damage
Old 12-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by reidry
Whew ... for a second there I thought you were actually adding a 2 mile jog to your car washing routine. I was really going to have to step up my game!

Ryan
LOL. It's getting up to 70 mph while pulling the car behind me that's the hard part!
Old 12-23-2014, 04:38 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Guys, these cars are like high maintenance women. You have to shower them with nice gifts. They don't want to settle for mediocre.

You can be a leaf blower or a Master Blaster!

You make the choice.

It's crazy how some people will make a big deal out of paying like $130 for a painted key, after spending $150,000 on a car.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:42 PM
AWW100
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's keep spending....
Old 12-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Recently picked one of these up - well worth the cost and wish I had ordered it years ago.
How loud are those things?
Old 12-23-2014, 05:52 PM
LindsayMac
Advanced

METRO VAC Air Force blaster is what I utilise, I have it mounted overhead in my garage ceiling

Quick Reply: Tidal wave after washing?