Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 - Porsche stops accepting new orders

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about you guys but Im extremely happy with my Gt3. I do have an RS allocation (bumped to no. 1) but I may pass. For those who are looking for an allocation and if I can transfer it, its yours.

Under the theory of how rare this RS will be, I don't buy it but if its true I'm all in on the .2RS. That should be the Skittle colored unicorn.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:38 PM
IEXLR8
Rennlist Member

Transitioning over to 2016
Old 12-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
That's correct autotrader picks up off the dealer site. The key fact to remember when we ordered our cars they're nothing but an order until we pay. My local dealer has about 9 GT3's which the owners are wating arrival. My car was still showing available two weeks after I took possession. Sites are very misleading on inventory that may not exist. May find a few where the owner backed out of once the car was delivered for various reasons financing, hated the color, and or moved on.
Agree. There is 70 "new" GT3 on that site. Any listing without picture you can leave out. Even the ones with pictures, when you do call, they are usually gone.

I tried it before I ordered a Macan, there was 284 Macan listed, I tried around 30 dealers, some were able to get me a car (in coming), but none had the exact car they listed!

Open allocations are long gone. If you do mange to see a new one around at a reasonable MSRP, and you want one, pick it up!!

2 other unsold GT3 got delivered to my dealer with mine. They arrived on Wed, both were sold before I picked up my GT3 on Friday afternoon. So go figure!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:19 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,852 Likes on 2,395 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
There are 100 for sale on Autotrader right now......cracks me up when people say they can't buy one.
but those posted aren't slcoe to my spec
raspberry, Mexico blue, Zanzibar, riv blue with zero option other than bucket and full
leather
I haven't seen one in USA or the world
for that matter.

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
We are talking at cross purposes here. The people saying they can't get them are talking about ordering ones from a dealer at RRP.

The people saying anyone can get one are talking about buying one off a speculator that ordered it ages ago. These guys always add 'and can afford it' to qualify their statement.

A more accurate statement would be something like 'All the ones from Porsche went ages ago but the few with the most money will still be able to get a speculator car. '

On my part, I've contacted my dealer in UK and he says RS has long gone and he won't take deposits. Now that could be 'marketing', but not if they went to the same school I did.
u speak my language

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
It doesn't make sense to limit production for the RS. As many referred here, it's all marketing tactics. They will produce for a limited time, and it that time if you want one, you will get one. I remember when people were up in arms telling me to pick up any GT3 I find off the floor because my order isn't secure (eeeeeven with the stop sale). Eight months later and a commission number allocated three months before delivery I received a car with exactly what I want. Same story different time. No one from Porsche (yet) ever said that the RS will be limited in number like the 4.0.
margin is
way higher in pepper and panamera. why wage time
making gt3. if I were fri, I would have pulled the plug on all
carerra production by now.

Originally Posted by allans
Not in the first 200 off the boat here. Then we'll see. Where is your farm.
u and I will be farming together. I'll out one of the cgt seats u sent me
on ur tractor and lets race it

for once I would
love to
be wrong so I can order ONCE just once a PTS zeromiption car after 40+ gt cars
Old 12-22-2014, 07:10 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
There are 100 for sale on Autotrader right now......cracks me up when people say they can't buy one.
Here we go again!, most of these are sold orders. Until the car is actually purchased, most of these are ordered cars.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Gotboost?
Rennlist Member

Whatever the case, I'm holding on to mine for a while.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:42 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

my pov, they actually don't make nearly as much money off special GT cars vs the wider production vehicles.... they are "halo" products... they are the reason that someone pays $90k for a Cayenne instead of $45k for a Toureg. Or $100k for a Panamera instead of $50k for a Lexus. They are brand enhancers. Obviously they still make money off them. But the combination of low volume and production costs make the GT cars less money makers than the huge volume of Cayennes, Panameras, etc. Moving to a wider audience with more standardized vehicles is what saved the Porsche brand back in the late 90s (starting with water cooling, then introducing lower priced, wider audience vehicles).
Old 12-23-2014, 12:48 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
my pov, they actually don't make nearly as much money off special GT cars vs the wider production vehicles.... they are "halo" products... they are the reason that someone pays $90k for a Cayenne instead of $45k for a Toureg. Or $100k for a Panamera instead of $50k for a Lexus. They are brand enhancers. Obviously they still make money off them. But the combination of low volume and production costs make the GT cars less money makers than the huge volume of Cayennes, Panameras, etc. Moving to a wider audience with more standardized vehicles is what saved the Porsche brand back in the late 90s (starting with water cooling, then introducing lower priced, wider audience vehicles).
Agree. I can't tell you how many times people have said to me or make it a point to tell me that they bought a Porsche also and it always is a base cayenne/panamera. I always have the same response back to them, congrats. They seemed to be perplexed as to why I have nothing more to say....
Old 12-23-2014, 02:45 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

All of our pre-sold GT3's will show up on our site as well as Auto trader and Cars.com....They are not for sale so for the guys who have orders with me please don't think we are selling your car out from under you!!

The Panamera Exclusive model was only sold to 918 clients. I expect for the next 10 years any limited production car like the various RS models will be even harder to get due to the new 918 Spyder program. 297 owners can suck up most of the slots by themselves if they all take a car....
Old 12-23-2014, 03:04 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
All of our pre-sold GT3's will show up on our site as well as Auto trader and Cars.com....They are not for sale so for the guys who have orders with me please don't think we are selling your car out from under you!!

The Panamera Exclusive model was only sold to 918 clients. I expect for the next 10 years any limited production car like the various RS models will be even harder to get due to the new 918 Spyder program. 297 owners can suck up most of the slots by themselves if they all take a car....
^^^speaks the truth.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Bruno Giacomelli
Instructor

Boom!
Old 12-23-2014, 05:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lots of speculation here.

The OP is from outside USA (I believe). His statement regards 200 units may be true for ROW production.

The 2014 production numbers (all cars produced worldwide until September 2014) are roughly known. Its fair to say production for RHD markets has been far more limited than LHD markets. The USA has been treated generously. My take is we will see around 1200-1400 US cars produced by the time production ceases end of Feb. Double that number and you have world wide production. Somehwere between 2800-3000 units. More than teh 997.2 GT3 but thats to be expected that car was announced 4 months after the GFC and was quite low in overall production numbers comparatively to the 997.2 GT3RS which was announced 12 months later when the markets had started to climb again and everyone realised the world would not end.

The 991 GT3RS I do not believe is limited to a number. That would make it a limited edition GT3 and I do not believe this is what it is. I believe PAG may have to complete the Certificate of Conformity (includes VIN and emissions data and is effectively submitted within Euro 5 framework), before end of September which could limit production numbers from a practical perspective.

PAG stuffed up in the USA when they saw flagging 918 sales as a threat to their flagship's success. They did not have complete faith the US economy would recover quickly so initiated a preferred purchasing programme for 918 owners over future production allocations which I believe will pay havoc with the market, especially for enthusiasts for years to come. In reality they would have sold the same number of cars without the scheme but they were IMO running scared at the time.

I think we will see as many 991 GT3RS as PAG can produce between April and end of September 2015. Im guessing it will be over 1000 units as per previous generations, probably 1200. Their facility is capable of it and they no doubt already have the parts largely under way. Luckily 80% of the components are already in series production with the GT3 so its a much easier task.

If the states are to get 600 units (includes Canada lets say) then that leaves 200 for Europe 40 for UK, 15 for Australia, 5-10 each for smaller markets etc.

This is my take on it and I stand to be proven wrong, none the less its mostly speculation.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:17 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 343 Likes on 176 Posts

I have to ask the question: Why do it then? It makes these sites far less useful (cars.com and auto trader.com) if you're advertising unavailable cars. Surely you have the ability to keep sold cars off the site.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:22 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
I have to ask the question: Why do it then? It makes these sites far less useful (cars.com and auto trader.com) if you're advertising unavailable cars. Surely you have the ability to keep sold cars off the site.
This requires manually pulling cars which we do, but we cannot pull it off our own site until it is RDRed....

Quick Reply: GT3 - Porsche stops accepting new orders