Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real life pic of why you need front lift!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:04 AM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
the front is made to be hit. for steep inclines.. the 30* angle rule always works... one wheel touches and lifts the front and by the time the rear would be in danger the rear wheel lifts for the rear... and you're golden.. having driven insanely lowered vehicles over the years.. it's an end all be all solution for low front ends..
Exactly. That's how I've driven my cars in the past. The nice thing about the front is its a replaceable part. The lift option is great if absolutely needed but if you can do without one less item to worry about. Excess weight, equipment that has no performance value whatsoever and most likely has a negative impact in handling/performance vs a non lift GT3.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:29 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
the front is made to be hit.
Sorry, that makes less sense than saying the bumper is made to be hit so who cares if you hit it. If the front spoiler was designed to truly be a break away part it wouldn't be rigidly attached to a $6K front valence.

If there is a way to help keep from doing repeated damage to a part on my vehicle, for a minimal 6kg weight penalty and no effect on performance, I will buy it. The ONLY other conceivable consideration is the cost which is a negligible percentage of a $150K car, IMHO, and if it really comes down to an economic choice I'd much rather spend my money on a lift than leather covered dash vents or what have you.

I understand that others feel differently; that's what makes the world go 'round....
Old 11-19-2014, 07:21 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

4 years of 997.2 ownership and never had a problem without the annoying, buggy, weight adding, not needed in FL lift. Bought a spare lip but never changed it, except for the Cup lip for the track.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:34 AM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sorry, that makes less sense than saying the bumper is made to be hit so who cares if you hit it. If the front spoiler was designed to truly be a break away part it wouldn't be rigidly attached to a $6K front valence.

If there is a way to help keep from doing repeated damage to a part on my vehicle, for a minimal 6kg weight penalty and no effect on performance, I will buy it. The ONLY other conceivable consideration is the cost which is a negligible percentage of a $150K car, IMHO, and if it really comes down to an economic choice I'd much rather spend my money on a lift than leather covered dash vents or what have you.

I understand that others feel differently; that's what makes the world go 'round....
we are on the same side.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:49 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin
Kinda off topic but I wonder if RS will come with lift option..kinda doubt it.
it did last gen and imagine it will again.

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
Off topic but, Were the RS lower than the GT3 historically?
No.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:55 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by the-missile
we are on the same side.
Exactly. Sorry I just have to laugh at this post, and this will be my last comment on this one Everyone's situation is different on the lift, and some need it and some don't? If your spending 150k on a car not sure why a 3k option is so debatable? I'm pretty sure there's not too many drives on this board that will say I missed a 10th of a second because the lift was attached ........serious? It weight is an issued take out the passenger seat, and all the carpets that would be some savings.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
I know this has been discussed till death here! But I have not seen any real life pic of how low the GT3 is on the street.

So here is a pic of my GT3 parked on the street with the front lift activates, the curb isn't actually that high as you can see. But the combination of the slop and the long overhang means, there really isn't much clearance. Guess what will happen if I didn't have the lift!

Next time park it in reverse
Old 11-19-2014, 11:07 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I have a sneaking suspicion:

.... if I put tracing paper over my computer screen, carefully draw all the letters in the posts on this thread, and then overlay it onto another "lift thread"... I'm pretty sure they would match up pretty closely.

Congrats to the OP for finding a creative new way to wind up the crew on this. This should be a competition: create one single, seemingly innocuous and non-flagrant post, to start the "lift" discussion... And then see how many thread pages you can accumulate. Winner announced end of 2014.

Wait; why stop there, we can do this again in 2015.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh C'mon Gub-nuh, front airdams are like brakes and tires - use 'em up an' replace 'em!
Old 11-19-2014, 11:37 AM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True dat...the manual says that the lift "cannot be maintained in the upper position over an extended period without active replenishing of the pressure accumulator or engine operation" so you shouldn't park over the top of stuff for long periods of time.

That said, as long as the lift is in good working order, parking somewhere for a couple of hours isn't going to be a problem. I've forgotten to lower my car in the garage a few times and come out a day later to find it still proud and erect.
Glad to hear it was hard enough for you .
Old 11-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I have a sneaking suspicion:

.... if I put tracing paper over my computer screen, carefully draw all the letters in the posts on this thread, and then overlay it onto another "lift thread"... I'm pretty sure they would match up pretty closely.

Congrats to the OP for finding a creative new way to wind up the crew on this. This should be a competition: create one single, seemingly innocuous and non-flagrant post, to start the "lift" discussion... And then see how many thread pages you can accumulate. Winner announced end of 2014.

Wait; why stop there, we can do this again in 2015.
Shoot, Alex, 50% of the threads on here are a perpetual recycling of one topic or another......it's harmless.....

Originally Posted by blackbull
Glad to hear it was hard enough for you .
My phrasing was purposeful, I knew someone would get kicks from commenting on it....

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Oh C'mon Gub-nuh, front airdams are like brakes and tires - use 'em up an' replace 'em!
If there was an option you could buy that would largely prevent brake or tire wear, or greatly increase their life, you wouldn't consider it?
Old 11-19-2014, 01:10 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just like the Pshhhhh sound when it lowers. Makes me all fast and furious. Now I just need to figure out how to direct the flow up some skirts!
Old 11-19-2014, 02:18 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

True dat...the manual says that the lift "cannot be maintained in the upper position over an extended period without active replenishing of the pressure accumulator or engine operation" so you shouldn't park over the top of stuff for long periods of time.

That said, as long as the lift is in good working order, parking somewhere for a couple of hours isn't going to be a problem. I've forgotten to lower my car in the garage a few times and come out a day later to find it still proud and erect.
Do we need to call the service department if it lasts for more than 4 hours...
Old 11-19-2014, 02:25 PM
wwlee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to throw this off topic too much, but has anyone that has already taken delivery of the car experienced any mechanical issues with the lift (I recall reading a post mentioning an indicator light went off while the lift was being deployed, but didn't affect it's operation). I understand on 997.2's it's quite expensive to fix and mechanical issues were not uncommon, but also was under the impression from a source that I cannot recall that the lift was redesigned. Sorry if this was covered elsewhere.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:31 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wwlee
Not to throw this off topic too much, but has anyone that has already taken delivery of the car experienced any mechanical issues with the lift (I recall reading a post mentioning an indicator light went off while the lift was being deployed, but didn't affect it's operation). I understand on 997.2's it's quite expensive to fix and mechanical issues were not uncommon, but also was under the impression from a source that I cannot recall that the lift was redesigned. Sorry if this was covered elsewhere.
Those are the reasons I passed on it. I think I read on pistonheads that the lift is the same as on the 997 version, but who knows if that's correct.

Quick Reply: Real life pic of why you need front lift!