Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real life pic of why you need front lift!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:38 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Apologies if these are redundant for some, but others here may have not seen these pics that I posted a couple of months ago of my own driveway. Not all that steep just looking at it, but without the lift a LOT of jockeying is required to get up with only minor scraping. With the lift, no contact, no problem....the debate DOES live on.
That's a shockingly mild incline that the car cannot even get up in the normal position. Not so much the ride height but how freaking long the overhang is.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
That's a shockingly mild incline that the car cannot even get up in the normal position. Not so much the ride height but how freaking long the overhang is.
The overhang is shorter than on the 997.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by wwlee
Not to throw this off topic too much, but has anyone that has already taken delivery of the car experienced any mechanical issues with the lift (I recall reading a post mentioning an indicator light went off while the lift was being deployed, but didn't affect it's operation). I understand on 997.2's it's quite expensive to fix and mechanical issues were not uncommon, but also was under the impression from a source that I cannot recall that the lift was redesigned. Sorry if this was covered elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Jon70
Those are the reasons I passed on it. I think I read on pistonheads that the lift is the same as on the 997 version, but who knows if that's correct.
It's not the same as in the 997. According to Porsche the lift system for the 991 GT3 has been redesigned with new components including a new control module and better sensing for positioning and sensitivity. Porsche also says that the new system is 2-3 times faster than the old one; I've timed it at under 2 seconds to lift fully.

In my experience so far, every warning light issue has been tied to having the door open when starting the car (the lift has a door open fail-safe) or forgetting to put the lift down and letting it sit for an extended period so that when restarting there is inadequate pressure in the reservoir causing a slight lowering that the system then detects. The light always disappears and the system proceeds to work properly with a simple close of the door or engine start plus a push of the lift button, and has never flashed a light in normal use.

Besides, I've got a 5 year warranty on the thing. Why worry?
Old 11-19-2014, 03:33 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
Because if you don't, your back will stick out and you will end up blocking half the road. You car either end up getting towed or your back get fully smashed by on coming traffic.
damn....991 must be a loooong car

I live in SF. we scrape
Old 11-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jon70
The overhang is shorter than on the 997.
Jon, that's true, but it's turns out not to be a big difference. The approach angle for the 991 is 5.8 degrees while the 997 is 5.6 degrees so they are basically identical.

Where there is a big difference is in the ramp break over angle. For those who don't know, RBOA is the maximum angle of an object that a vehicle can drive over without having that object touch any part of the vehicle; a speed bump for example. Because of it's longer wheelbase, the 991 RBOA is only 5.1 degrees while the 997 is twice as great at 10.3 degrees.

The reason the lift helps in this respect is because it raises the car almost 3/4" at the midpoint of the chassis.

β° = Breakover angle; C = Underside of chassis; W = Wheel; G = Ground; M = Midpoint of wheelbase
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2014, 03:55 PM
wwlee
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not the same as in the 997. According to Porsche the lift system for the 991 GT3 has been redesigned with new components including a new control module and better sensing for positioning and sensitivity. Porsche also says that the new system is 2-3 times faster than the old one; I've timed it at under 2 seconds to lift fully.

In my experience so far, every warning light issue has been tied to having the door open when starting the car (the lift has a door open fail-safe) or forgetting to put the lift down and letting it sit for an extended period so that when restarting there is inadequate pressure in the reservoir causing a slight lowering that the system then detects. The light always disappears and the system proceeds to work properly with a simple close of the door or engine start plus a push of the lift button, and has never flashed a light in normal use.

Besides, I've got a 5 year warranty on the thing. Why worry?
Thank you Mike, very helpful! It was more of a question out of curiosity that sparked in my head when someone told me that one of the parts on the 997.2 lift is five figures before associated labor. I have it spec'ed on my car anyway due to the slope of my driveway, but potential costly issues that have a good chance of breaking would affect my outlook on the car (e.g. fully enjoy for two or three years, then actively start looking for a replacement or risk being naked on warranty)...probably over thinking it now
Old 11-19-2014, 03:57 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jon, that's true, but it's turns out not to be a big difference. The approach angle for the 991 is 5.8 degrees while the 997 is 5.6 degrees so they are basically identical.

Where there is a big difference is in the ramp break over angle. For those who don't know, RBOA is the maximum angle of an object that a vehicle can drive over without having that object touch any part of the vehicle; a speed bump for example. Because of it's longer wheelbase, the 991 RBOA is only 5.1 degrees while the 997 is twice as great at 10.3 degrees.

The reason the lift helps in this respect is because it raises the car almost 3/4" at the midpoint of the chassis.

β° = Breakover angle; C = Underside of chassis; W = Wheel; G = Ground; M = Midpoint of wheelbase
This is the only reason even I have considered the lift is due to lessened ramp break over angle.

Mike, not trying to stir any pot here, but you could have entered at an angle with out scraping correct? Not that you should have to. I have passed through similar looking undulations at an angle without incident with the old car.

Last edited by 911dev; 11-19-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:01 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wwlee
Thank you Mike, very helpful! It was more of a question out of curiosity that sparked in my head when someone told me that one of the parts on the 997.2 lift is five figures before associated labor. I have it spec'ed on my car anyway due to the slope of my driveway, but potential costly issues that have a good chance of breaking would affect my outlook on the car (e.g. fully enjoy for two or three years, then actively start looking for a replacement or risk being naked on warranty)...probably over thinking it now
I've been told a replacement lift is over $6k. I have not validated this, just sayin...
Old 11-19-2014, 04:02 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

Mike
Thank you for that information. I see your point on the lift. I don't regret passing on it yet as I don't yet have experience with the car. I actually have never even seen a 991 gt3 and at this point I'm hoping I don't until I take delivery in 3 weeks.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911dev
This is the only reason even I have considered the lift is due to lessened ramp break over angle. I never had issues with entry on my .2 over countless speed bumps, crazy driveways, etc., in two hilly states.

Mike, not trying to stir any pot here, but you could have entered at an angle with out scraping correct? Not that you should have to. I have passed through similar looking undulations at an angle without incident with the old car.
No pot stirring suspected, Chris.

Given the unusual dip and angle of my driveway it's very difficult to avoid at least a slight scrape, although with an absolutely perfect approach and by feeling my way at a crawl, it's possible.

The example in my pic is extreme, to be sure, but my point was that even in a situation where one would seemingly have no chance without the lift, with the lift there is no problem.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:13 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, that makes less sense than saying the bumper is made to be hit so who cares if you hit it. If the front spoiler was designed to truly be a break away part it wouldn't be rigidly attached to a $6K front valence.

If there is a way to help keep from doing repeated damage to a part on my vehicle, for a minimal 6kg weight penalty and no effect on performance, I will buy it. The ONLY other conceivable consideration is the cost which is a negligible percentage of a $150K car, IMHO, and if it really comes down to an economic choice I'd much rather spend my money on a lift than leather covered dash vents or what have you.

I understand that others feel differently; that's what makes the world go 'round....
im sure like my 997.2 GT3 the front lip parts are purchaseable and probably $200-250 per side? i just hit stuff, and will continue to... just change the plastics when they are destroyed..
Old 11-19-2014, 07:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by rijowysock
im sure like my 997.2 GT3 the front lip parts are purchaseable and probably $200-250 per side? i just hit stuff, and will continue to... just change the plastics when they are destroyed..
Just be more careful when you "hit stuff" with the 991. The lip is more rigid than on the 997.2 and is attached in such a way that the shock of any contact is transmitted back to the v. expensive front valence more strongly and directly.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,062 Likes on 548 Posts

I'm transporting mine on a trailer.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I'm transporting mine on a trailer.
Like all the time, just to be safe.....great idea.....lol
Old 11-19-2014, 07:42 PM
wwlee
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
I've been told a replacement lift is over $6k. I have not validated this, just sayin...
Wow...cheaper than the color I received. I heard ~$10k for a replacement pump for a 997.2 before labor. Perhaps that is dealer price w/ a nice mark-up over what it would cost elsewhere? Got hit with sticker shock

Quick Reply: Real life pic of why you need front lift!