Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real life pic of why you need front lift!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 10:06 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Fair enough. The need may be greater where you live. Your avatar nor post reflects your origin.
True, I can see why you don't need the lift in some places.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
True dat...the manual says that the lift "cannot be maintained in the upper position over an extended period without active replenishing of the pressure accumulator or engine operation" so you shouldn't park over the top of stuff for long periods of time.

That said, as long as the lift is good working order, parking somewhere for a couple of hours isn't going to be a problem. I've forgotten to lower my car in the garage a few times and come out a day later to find it still proud and erect.
I never realized that, I will keep that in mind!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zucc
Of course, you do realize that someone could also post a 100 pics of why you don't need a lift. The debate lives on!
I never meant to end the debate.

At the end of the day, whether to lift or not depends on many different factors. No single answer is correct for everyone!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:14 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

As long as there are people who want to justify their decision to add lift or delete lift there will be a dispute as to whether the lift is needed or not.

There will be people who have the lift and forget to use it and get a crunch and there are people who don't have the lift and get a crunch. Whatever the case it's pretty much a foregone conclusion with a car this low that there will be a crunch with or without a lift.

Dan (has a lift ordered and hopes to have fewer crunches than the guy who left if off)
Old 11-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 83 Posts

Of course, you do realize that someone could also post a 100 pics of why you don't need a lift. The debate lives on!
It's not the 100 times that you don't need the lift that makes the case, it's the one time that you really, really do!

Apologies if these are redundant for some, but others here may have not seen these pics that I posted a couple of months ago of my own driveway. Not all that steep just looking at it, but without the lift a LOT of jockeying is required to get up with only minor scraping. With the lift, no contact, no problem....the debate DOES live on.
Attached Images   
Old 11-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

It's not the 100 times that you don't need the lift that makes the case, it's the one time that you really, really do!

Apologies if these are redundant for some, but others here may have not seen these pics that I posted a couple of months ago of my own driveway. Not all that steep just looking at it, but without the lift a LOT of jockeying is required to get up with only minor scraping. With the lift, no contact, no problem....the debate DOES live on.
Ouch, but there are some parts you can scratch all day long, and there are some parts that you can't really scratch at all.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With your driveway you obviously need the lift. My driveway actually looks much steeper than yours, yet I get no scraping with the GT3. My 2007 Corvette would scrape occasionally if I did not take the right angle. With the GT3, I can go straight up with no weird angle issues.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:41 PM
ARSGT3
Instructor

Mike in ca, is that photo in the lifted position? I sure hope not
Old 11-18-2014, 10:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 83 Posts

With your driveway you obviously need the lift. My driveway actually looks much steeper than yours, yet I get no scraping with the GT3. My 2007 Corvette would scrape occasionally if I did not take the right angle. With the GT3, I can go straight up with no weird angle issues.
It's not the slope of the driveway at that point so much as the fact that there is a dip before the slope. The front wheels roll into the dip which lowers the car just as the driveway ahead begins to rise. This situation isn't unusual, in my experience, as entering many driveways the front wheels enter a gutter area first.

Originally Posted by ARSGT3
Nope, the lift is not engaged. With the lift engaged it's close but there is no issue with clearance.

When I'm going up my right front wheel lifts off the ground due to the stiffness of the chassis and the angle of pavement plus the dip at the bottom of the driveway (hard to visualize from in the pic). The unloading of the right front suspension is why there appears to be excessive clearance over the right front wheel and might make it look like the lift is engaged.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:03 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
I never meant to end the debate. At the end of the day, whether to lift or not depends on many different factors. No single answer is correct for everyone!
+1.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:22 PM
provoke
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
You and I clearly lives in different part of the world. Try imagine living in parts of the world where roads are narrow and parking space are extremely limited.
I support you Foweiee... I travel to Europe 3-4 times a year... Roads there are not like they are here.. Cobblestone is not your friend and parking is like a privilege..... I live in Central Florida where the roads are pretty good and I can't say how many times I have used the lift. Others prefer to scrape or squint and grit their teeth?? I prefer to lift..
Old 11-18-2014, 11:25 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by ARSGT3
My first thought.

Nope, the lift is not engaged. With the lift engaged it's close but there is no issue with clearance.
Thanks goodness. And thanks for posting the pic -- I had not seen it the first time around. I never thought about not getting the lift, but that photo really drives the point home as I will need to tackle inclines that are at least that steep.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:48 PM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinda off topic but I wonder if RS will come with lift option..kinda doubt it.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:04 AM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin
Kinda off topic but I wonder if RS will come with lift option..kinda doubt it.
Off topic but, Were the RS lower than the GT3 historically?
Old 11-19-2014, 01:13 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

the front is made to be hit.

for steep inclines.. the 30* angle rule always works... one wheel touches and lifts the front and by the time the rear would be in danger the rear wheel lifts for the rear... and you're golden.. having driven insanely lowered vehicles over the years.. it's an end all be all solution for low front ends..

Quick Reply: Real life pic of why you need front lift!