Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather interior vs. standard interior.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 11:33 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone ordered the leather option for the interior trim strip on the dash and doors to replace the aluminum look. If so, would love to see picts and your thoughts weather its worth it or not.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:57 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
You have to love those yellow gov mandated warning labels on the seat backs (and sun visors). Especially since the seat back will not be seen by anyone - no rear seats...Hopefully the ones on the seat back are removeable, they are "burned in" and not removable on the sunvisors.
Greg,
I removed both the rear seat sticker and the sun visor ones. They are both vinyl stickers, and the rear ones are thick enough that a very gentle pull gets most of it off in one piece, then followed by 70 percent isopropyl alcohol. Now....the front ones are a different animal. The government must not want those removed, as they know what is best for you. They are very very thin. They came off (for me) with a white dish towel and 70 percent isopropyl alcohol. It takes about 7 mins per side of gentle rubbing, with keeping the rag soaked. I used a white rag to see if I was picking up color. It worked perfectly, although my arms and shoulders did tire some during the process. Hint, while it seems easiest to rub Left-to right as your alcohol soaked rag is coating almost all the sticker, they come off faster when you rub windshield towards the back.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:52 PM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

If you purchase leather sun visors from the dealer do they come with the stickers?
Old 11-22-2014, 05:58 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemeister
If you purchase leather sun visors from the dealer do they come with the stickers?
Yes all US DOT cars. Maybe there is a way to remove it off of the leather, cuz if you buy them after market...sun coast porsche parts they are $1100.00 or so. Far cheaper to option them with the car. I didn't but now wished I had. I think removal from the leather is doable. Shoe polish could cover up much of any imperfection from removing it.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:21 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Has anyone ordered the leather option for the interior trim strip on the dash and doors to replace the aluminum look. If so, would love to see picts and your thoughts weather its worth it or not.
Not mine, but gives a good view of it. I was headed this direction until I saw this picture. I like my Porsche interiors dark, subtle, and all business. When I owned Audi RS cars and Mercedes AMG cars, I felt different. So I thought this would be a great way to keep it all dark. Looks too much like legos stacked on top of each other in my opinion, but of course its totally personal.
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2014, 04:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemeister
no,

but unless 991 has different applique, i alwasy were able to remove it from sun visor in the past.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:29 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockitman
Yes all US DOT cars. Maybe there is a way to remove it off of the leather, cuz if you buy them after market...sun coast porsche parts they are $1100.00 or so. Far cheaper to option them with the car. I didn't but now wished I had. I think removal from the leather is doable. Shoe polish could cover up much of any imperfection from removing it.
Why not take the stock sun visors to a car upholstery shop and have them covered in leather? Surely this would be less than $1,100 and they could match the color.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:36 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by devenh
Why not take the stock sun visors to a car upholstery shop and have them covered in leather? Surely this would be less than $1,100 and they could match the color.

Best idea yet
Old 11-23-2014, 06:40 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For anyone still on the fence and wanting to see some real life shots of a standard interior, with standard aluminum. Substitute white and yellow belts and this is my car...

Skip to 16:00 in the video

Old 11-28-2014, 08:34 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
I had a 991 turbo S cab configured like that, and frankly, as cheap as the CF looks, the leather trim makes the car look like a non-leather interior Cayman.

I'd suggest going with painted trim or aluminum, if those are still options.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:37 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by red route 1
I had a 991 turbo S cab configured like that, and frankly, as cheap as the CF looks, the leather trim makes the car look like a non-leather interior Cayman.

I'd suggest going with painted trim or aluminum, if those are still options.

Thanks red route 1, I've decided to stay away from the leather trim strip, as you say, it does make it look too patchy [cheap] to me also.

Quick Reply: Leather interior vs. standard interior.