Sponsored by:

Dream racing and GT3 comparo

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Dream racing and GT3 comparo

I thought it would be better to start a different thread since the other one was titled 'exotics racing', which is a different outfit.

My experience with Dream racing was excellent. Great staff and great facilities. One nice thing that dream has over exotics is that they have you run a simulator before going on track so you have a little idea of what the line/layout is before you head out. That's nice do you don't waste a few laps being totally lost. Big thumbs up to the instructor that rode with me, Jordan. Young and nice fellow that was really enthusiastic and let me drive the car at my comfort level while still offering good advice. As others have stated, the GT3 was the favorite street car for all the instructors there. I drove 5 laps in the 430 scuderia, F458, and 991 GT3. Here are my totally subjective and biased opinions given that I'm taking delivery of a GT3 in January.

1). Scuderia: Great seats and driving position. While not the fastest shift, I appreciate the 'thump' from each shift. The slowest of the 3 cars I drove. There was something with the brakes. Don't know if they were bad or something else was going on with the car or the driver. I had a 'moment' where the car wasn't slowing down as I expected it to in the braking zone after the main straight. Also, to my surprise, the sound of the scud didn't do it for me. Not bad, but not as nice as the 458 or GT3.

2). F458. Makes more midrange power and torque than the GT3 and you can really feel it. The sound is as nice as everyone says. Loved it, but I would say that it was just different than the Gt3 and not necessarily better. The seats were horrible. I found myself sliding all over the place in the seats, which weren't supportive at all. Very surprising. The car was more 'twitchy' in corners than the GT3, so I found it less stable and not as easy to drive as the GT3

3). GT3. I purposely wanted to drive the GT3 last to see how it would compare to the other cars. It didn't disappoint at all. Dream racing didn't cheap out. The MPSC2 tires were worn out, but they replaced with Pirelli trofeo R tires, not BS street tires. I was able to wring it all the way to 9k rpm in auto and manual mode. I felt totally at home with the car. Driving position and seat (sofa seats) was great. Good support even with sofa seats. No complaints about sofa seats at all even though I'm a rabid bucket seat fan. Loved the sound. Screaming all the way to 9k rpm was a treat every time. The car was easier to drive than the ferraris, but that didn't make it less fun. It was MORE fun than the other cars. It was the only car that put a big smile on my face and made me yell out 'YES!'. In my biased opinion, it was the best car of the 3. My friend drove the 430GT race car and felt the same way.

I have no idea what constitutes a good lap time on the track, but we were told only a handful of people drive below 1:00 a year. My friends clocked me at 58 seconds in the F458, and 55 seconds in the GT3. 55 seconds was with 5 laps and me just starting to get a feel for the track and just starting to scratch the potential of the car. I'm someone that takes some time to figure out a track and a new car, so take that 55 second time with a grain of salt. The car can do much more.

In all, I was happy with my dream racing experience and would do it again. Even more important, I am VERY happy with being fortunate enough to be taking delivery of a GT3 in January!
Old 11-16-2014, 02:22 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully I can get down to Vegas soon. All reports read so far make the GT3 that much more of a wanted machine. Most cars you just drive but the GT3 you operate.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for that report, Joe. Very illuminating.

Coming from buckets myself I was also surprised and pleased by how supportive the sofa seats are. It's good to get the opinion of someone else who doesn't have an axe to grind and has enough experience to know what a proper seat should feel like.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:22 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Thanks for the comparo, Joe. With your being a Spyder driver who knows how to drive, your endorsement carries weight with me. I too look forward to getting my GT3 in Jan or Feb.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Coming from buckets myself I was also surprised and pleased by how supportive the sofa seats are.
We need a name change. I think Barcalounger is a better fit than sofa seats.
And yes, I ordered them with this car.

Mike, I take it you are happy with the 4 ways?
Old 11-16-2014, 06:10 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

That's it. I have never tracked my toys before but I will start this Spring. I need to see what this GT3 can do. I have been very happy with it as a road car but it begs me for more. I may be nuts but this car taunts you to let it breath. It wants to be pushed and it just feels to nervous around town. Once again - great road car but I think I am going to take the next step. My only fear is that I am going to love it and I am an obsessive person
Old 11-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
We need a name change. I think Barcalounger is a better fit than sofa seats.
And yes, I ordered them with this car.

Mike, I take it you are happy with the 4 ways?
Alan, I have the 18 way, and yeah after two cars with buckets I expected to be disappointed, but I'm not. The 18's are heavier than the 4's which is a negative, but the added adjustment (thigh extension, independent height/tilt, bolsters, and lumbar) allows me to get them in a perfect driving position which made them worth it for me. Better than buckets in some ways, not as good in others, but overall pretty decent seats.

Besides, because of Porsche's screw up and subsequent rebate for advertising a memory function for the 18's that didn't exist, I got them for "free".
Old 11-16-2014, 11:38 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks for that report, Joe. Very illuminating.

Coming from buckets myself I was also surprised and pleased by how supportive the sofa seats are. It's good to get the opinion of someone else who doesn't have an axe to grind and has enough experience to know what a proper seat should feel like.
Thanks, Mike. I didn't find the sofa seats to be lacking. It will be interesting to see how the new buckets compare. The only thing I can say for sure about the buckets right now is that I like how they look better and they allow me to run 6 point harnesses.... and that everyone should option them.

Originally Posted by Manifold
Thanks for the comparo, Joe. With your being a Spyder driver who knows how to drive, your endorsement carries weight with me. I too look forward to getting my GT3 in Jan or Feb.
Thanks, man. I really don't think the GT3 will disappoint you. This was actually my first time driving a rear engine car on track. I was surprised how easy it felt to drive the car. Perhaps it's because the chassis upgrades and RWS negate much of the rear engine quirkyness, or perhaps it's because the track layout at dream racing was very flat and simple (no elevation changes or quick transitions). I was able to get some decent slip angle out of the car without losing control (although ESC was on).

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
That's it. I have never tracked my toys before but I will start this Spring. I need to see what this GT3 can do. I have been very happy with it as a road car but it begs me for more. I may be nuts but this car taunts you to let it breath. It wants to be pushed and it just feels to nervous around town. Once again - great road car but I think I am going to take the next step. My only fear is that I am going to love it and I am an obsessive person
Good for you, man! You have to track these cars to truly appreciate and enjoy what they are capable of. It will take some time to work yourself up to speed, but getting yourself up to speed is part of the fun, and is what makes the sport so addicting. You won't regret it.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:49 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Oh, FWIW, my friend has now done both exotics and dream racing. His opinion is that dream is a better experience. The instructors were better, and dream has you run a simulator before going on track to learn the line that way you aren't wasting your first few laps on track
Old 11-17-2014, 12:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Oh, FWIW, my friend has now done both exotics and dream racing. His opinion is that dream is a better experience. The instructors were better, and dream has you run a simulator before going on track to learn the line that way you aren't wasting your first few laps on track
Don't see the simulator as much of an advantage. Yeah,it's better to actually " drive " the track(even though in a simulator) than be driven by someone to see the track.(Exotics drive you in a Cayenne a couple of laps)
Old 11-17-2014, 12:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by neanicu
(Exotics drive you in a Cayenne a couple of laps)
My friend didn't mention that. Good to know.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Adding to orthojoe's comments I drove the 991GT3 @ Dream Racing last weekend... I loved it! I've tracked my 997.1 RS 8 times & the 991GT3 is definitely an improvement in all areas.

Here are some of my comments from the Exotics Racing thread:
I drove the 991GT3 for 10 laps @ Dream Racing.
The facility is first rate & being inside Las Vegas Speedway midfield really adds to a grand experience. I was considering Exotic Racing & am glad I went with Dream Racing; Exotic is outside the Speedway & has its track in a few large parking lots.

Dream has approx. a dozen 430GT race cars & hearing them on the track was audio heaven. Their staff is professional & Enrico, the owner, is an ex F1 driver from the '70's. He is a super nice guy knowing how important customer service is. After a 20min video, geared to rookie virgin track guys, we had a go in a track simulator; again geared to rookies.

I was there with 4 friends, all but one who have track experience. Two guys drove the 458, one drove the new Vette then the Huracan & another the GT3. While waiting for your turn to drive your car of choice, it's great watching/hearing these exotics fly by the straight away at full throttle; every driver had a massive smile once they exited.

The instructors really encourage you to push the car to your max potential. Sport button/exhaust/hard shocks/manual paddle mode where all on. The GT3 had Pirelli Trofeo's & standard steel brakes, & along with the 458 was out on the track all the time.

My impressions on the car where all too short, but....
Engine: revs like a demon! It's sounds glorious, but coming from a 997.1RS w/ sharks bypass, it could use more noise. The power is great & boy does it accelerate!! Engine is the main event! Wow!
PDK-S: shift like a demon!!! Coming off the last hairpin & turning onto the straight away, redlining in 3rd gear, I shifted into 4th gear! This did not upset the car at all & I would never do that in a manual! Omg!
Chassis: very neutral, very stable, allowing you to really push!
Brakes: hey, it's a Porsche...so they're epic.
This car is a machine!!!
Enrico commented that the GT3 was the best road car there; better than any Lambo or Ferrari...

Overall it's not like a regular track day; get that out of your mind.
BUT, it's a great experience!
I'd recommend to anyone.... Where else can you drive an exotic for a few hundred $$$ & the walk away.
Dream Racing....excellent rating.
991GT3....Awesome car! My 997.1RS will eventually be for sale.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Linz3
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with Dream racing was excellent. Great staff and great facilities. One nice thing that dream has over exotics is that they have you run a simulator before going on track so you have a little idea of what the line/layout is before you head out. That's nice do you don't waste a few laps being totally lost.
I definitely agree here, and found out prior to going in October that they use iRacing (simulator / game)-- I downloaded the track and did some "testing" even before going. If you already have a steering wheel for PC games, then can get iRacing on the cheap for just a short time (it's hosted online, and can buy monthly access).

2). F458. Makes more midrange power and torque than the GT3 and you can really feel it. The sound is as nice as everyone says. Loved it, but I would say that it was just different than the Gt3 and not necessarily better. The seats were horrible. I found myself sliding all over the place in the seats, which weren't supportive at all. Very surprising. The car was more 'twitchy' in corners than the GT3, so I found it less stable and not as easy to drive as the GT3

I have no idea what constitutes a good lap time on the track, but we were told only a handful of people drive below 1:00 a year. My friends clocked me at 58 seconds in the F458, and 55 seconds in the GT3. 55 seconds was with 5 laps and me just starting to get a feel for the track and just starting to scratch the potential of the car. I'm someone that takes some time to figure out a track and a new car, so take that 55 second time with a grain of salt. The car can do much more.
I drove the Cayman GTS and 458 (in that order) when I went down there, and ran a 1:01 and 0:59 respectively. They were saying that most people run just under 1:00 for their 430 GTs (race-prepped, with slicks), for reference.

orthojoe-- sounds like you kicked some *** out there on track!

I do trackdays in a E46 M3, so a decent amount of experience, but the power of the 458 just blew my mind-- in relation to my previous E92 M3, it was one hell of a lot faster!

They were saying the GT3 is the fastest of what they have (54s instructor time).

Overall a great experience-- in retrospect, I should have plunked-down some more cash to also take out the GT3. I hope there will be a "next time".

Overall a great experience there. Would do it again, and recommend to any gearhead out there.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Linz3
I definitely agree here, and found out prior to going in October that they use iRacing (simulator / game)-- I downloaded the track and did some "testing" even before going. If you already have a steering wheel for PC games, then can get iRacing on the cheap for just a short time (it's hosted online, and can buy monthly access). I drove the Cayman GTS and 458 (in that order) when I went down there, and ran a 1:01 and 0:59 respectively. They were saying that most people run just under 1:00 for their 430 GTs (race-prepped, with slicks), for reference. orthojoe-- sounds like you kicked some *** out there on track! I do trackdays in a E46 M3, so a decent amount of experience, but the power of the 458 just blew my mind-- in relation to my previous E92 M3, it was one hell of a lot faster! They were saying the GT3 is the fastest of what they have (54s instructor time). Overall a great experience-- in retrospect, I should have plunked-down some more cash to also take out the GT3. I hope there will be a "next time". Overall a great experience there. Would do it again, and recommend to any gearhead out there.
Sweet!! Thanks for posting your experience. 458 was definitely a monster in terms of power. 54 seconds is instructor time in the GT3? There's more in the car than that if I can do 55 seconds after 5 laps.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Linz3
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet!! Thanks for posting your experience. 458 was definitely a monster in terms of power. 54 seconds is instructor time in the GT3? There's more in the car than that if I can do 55 seconds after 5 laps.
I had no idea of my time when I was done, so didn't question the time, but sounds about right from seeing videos of their GT cars, and the time that both of us pulled-off in the 458 -- I think I had it intervening lightly in all corners, and it gave quite a bit of slip-angle, so don't think there was too much time to be taken away other than improvements in the line.

I think that on at least the Cayman and 458 that they're running fairly high tire-pressures to reduce wear.

They were saying about 55-57s for the remainder of the cars, with GT-R typically being next after the GT3. 430 GT car instructor time said to be in low 50s, with the new 458 GT cracking into 49s.

Their track is all about cornering grip, and the power of the car really only makes a difference for a few hundred feet on the main straightaway-- one of the main reasons the GT3 has a pretty significant margin to the others. I was only 2 sec off in the GTS vs. the 458!

If you ran about 55 sec, then looks you were driving the car to near it's limits, and once you're there, another second is hard to edge-out on that track.

Again, sounds like you kicked-*** out there, and are a well-deserving to-be owner of a new GT3!

Quick Reply: Dream racing and GT3 comparo