Sponsored by:

Battery Maintainer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:35 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Actually... the recommended and safest way to charge a battery is via the cigarette lighter socket. This socket connection is correctly fused and offers the necessary resistance to damp the initial current surge. Where there is no cigarette socket, I am pretty sure Porsche supplies a properly fused 12V socket somewhere in the cabin. This is usually stated in every Owners Manual and follows best battery charging practices. Connecting directly to the battery terminals is far less safe. Should one prefer a direct battery connection, the negative should not be connected to the battery negative terminal, but instead to a nearby bolt ground connection.
Nope. Read the manual for the Ctek. This is not a constant flow charger.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:38 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Nope. Read the manual for the Ctek. This is not a constant flow charger.
No one said the CTek is a constant flow charger... Actually, it is at different current charging levels, but that is beside the point. What I pointed before still stands from a charging and safety stance.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Actually... the recommended and safest way to charge a battery is via the cigarette lighter socket. This socket connection is correctly fused and offers the necessary resistance to damp the initial current surge. Where there is no cigarette socket, I am pretty sure Porsche supplies a properly fused 12V socket somewhere in the cabin. This is usually stated in every Owners Manual and follows best battery charging practices.

Connecting directly to the battery terminals is far less safe. Should one prefer a direct battery connection, the negative should not be connected to the battery negative terminal, but instead to a nearby bolt ground connection.
With due respect Tony, the CTEK charger is specifically designed to be used either via direct connection to the battery or via a 12V socket with the correct adaptor. It is also an "intelligent" charger and has the built in capability to protect the battery and itself from surges or overcharging.

What you say about connecting a charger is true if, for example, one is using alligator clamps at the battery terminals. The safety concern is that a spark could cause an explosion if there is outgassing from the battery, which is why a ground connection apart from the battery is recommended. With the CTEK cable, the eyelets are "permanently" affixed to the battery terminals and the actual connection to the charger occurs some distance away with a plug so there is no danger of spark at all. Additionally, the positive lead of the CTEK cable is fused.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:39 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 11-17-2014, 10:50 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
With due respect Tony, the CTEK charger is specifically designed to be used either via direct connection to the battery or via a 12V socket with the correct adaptor. It is also an "intelligent" charger and has the built in capability to protect the battery and itself from surges or overcharging. What you say about connecting a charger is true if, for example, one is using alligator clamps at the battery terminals. The safety concern is that a spark could cause an explosion if there is outgassing from the battery, which is why a ground connection apart from the battery is recommended. With the CTEK cable, the eyelets are "permanently" affixed to the battery terminals and the actual connection to the charger occurs some distance away with a plug so there is no danger of spark at all. Additionally, the positive lead of the CTEK cable is fused.
Mike, this would actually be the case, even for the alligator clips that come with the CTek.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Mike, this would actually be the case, even for the alligator clips that come with the CTek.
Good point. It's just that with the semi-permanent eyelet connections one doesn't need to go anywhere near the battery to make a connection and the possibility of a particularly clumsy owner causing a short with the alligator clip is completely eliminated.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:29 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

In looking at the Ctek site, they do make the comfort connectors in three different sizes. I believe the smallest is delivered with the charger. So, maybe the larger ones wouldn't require clipping the eyelets?
Old 12-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the battery connection, do you guys close your hood?
Old 12-20-2014, 04:35 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Gleek48
I wouldn't with the hood. Door, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 12-20-2014, 04:46 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gleek48
With my 996 not an issue closing the hood. There is a frunk light...not sure if it turns off auto or not with the frunk not fully closed and locked position.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by rockitman
With my 996 not an issue closing the hood. There is a frunk light...not sure if it turns off auto or not with the frunk not fully closed and locked position.
It does turn off automatically, I think after about 15 minutes or so. In order to get it to come on again you actually have to close the hood completely and then reopen it.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:21 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It does turn off automatically, I think after about 15 minutes or so. In order to get it to come on again you actually have to close the hood completely and then reopen it.
Mike, I'm about to fire mine up for the winter. Is the consensus to charge it on the snowflake mode? I may get it out one more time before the holiday as we are expecting low 50s F right before Christmas. Then we go into the deep freeze.

Off to ski tomorrow!
Old 12-21-2014, 01:11 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Mike, I'm about to fire mine up for the winter. Is the consensus to charge it on the snowflake mode? I may get it out one more time before the holiday as we are expecting low 50s F right before Christmas. Then we go into the deep freeze.

Off to ski tomorrow!
Nick, one of our RL buddies (mcsmcs1) followed up with an e-mail to Banner, the Austrian manufacturer of our OEM AGM batteries. They confirmed that the snowflake mode on the CTEK charger is the right one to use. Have fun and be safe on the slopes!
Old 12-21-2014, 01:23 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just happen to have the Porsche charger from my last car.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:24 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

In looking at the Ctek site, they do make the comfort connectors in three different sizes. I believe the smallest is delivered with the charger. So, maybe the larger ones wouldn't require clipping the eyelets?
There are 3 sizes...M6, M8 and M10
I'm not sure what size comes with the combo kit. Maybe someone can confirm the metric size of the bolts on the battery where the eyelets would attach ?

Quick Reply: Battery Maintainer?