Sponsored by:

Brunnhoelzl Jacks

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 12:46 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Just curious,is there a cheaper version or only the 1200$ one?
You seem to be confused with Jack and Jack stands. There are different tools that work together. That killer lightweight jack is $1200.00. I am happy with my heavy AC Hydraulics jack. The stands are $600.00 for all four points.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:12 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Did I mention how awesome the JP stands are? Brilliant product. Genius design!
Old 11-06-2014, 02:26 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Mine are on the way...only one issue left. I need the car
Old 11-06-2014, 03:01 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Since it was mentioned, is there a power tool that can replace the giant breaker bar and torque wrench?
Old 11-06-2014, 03:48 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

No Mike,I do not have jackstands that utilize the jacking point as the jack. I have Harbor Freight Pittsburg jacks-a steel one and a low profile aluminum. I have Black Jack 3 ton jackstands and 6 ton Pittsburg.
I invest a lot of money in high quality hand tools like SnapOn or Mac. Also in air guns and 780FT/pounds Ingersoll-Rand electric power tools. I have factory scan tools for most german brands I own. Because IMO that's where you need quality for working on cars.
Jacks or jackstands are there to lift the car and then support it,there's no brain surgery,a cheap one will do the same job as an expensive one. But a cheap socket will most likely strip a nut,as opposed to a SnapOn that will pull it out without a problem.
My point is,invest where it really matters...
Fair enough, Nick....I understand. And you obviously have an appreciation for quality tools.

I only asked the questions because you wrote that you had a different jack and jack stands that "do the same thing" as the Jackpoint stands, which I still believe are unique in the fact that they allow one to use the exact same (and proper) points on the frame to both lift and then support the car. Placing jack stands in any other location risks damage which is why the Jackpoint stands, like the quality tools that you purchase, are worth the money to me.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:37 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Fair enough, Nick....I understand. And you obviously have an appreciation for quality tools. I only asked the questions because you wrote that you had a different jack and jack stands that "do the same thing" as the Jackpoint stands, which I still believe are unique in the fact that they allow one to use the exact same (and proper) points on the frame to both lift and then support the car. Placing jack stands in any other location risks damage which is why the Jackpoint stands, like the quality tools that you purchase, are worth the money to me.
Mike,I will look into getting the jackstands since you've mentioned.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:56 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You NEVER lift a Porsche(any car for that matter) by the engine.
You lift by the rear jacking points until the front gets high enough to put a jackstand on both sides in the front.
You lift the rear of a 911 by the crossmember.
Umm yes you can. 993, 964 and any other metzger case engine is designed to be lifted by the engine. It's in the Porsche tech manuals and Porsche sells adapters to make it easier without mating the case.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:09 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Since it was mentioned, is there a power tool that can replace the giant breaker bar and torque wrench?
I wouldn't use an impact for the CL nut. You could probably use it to take the nut off but never to put it back on,where you need a precision torque wrench.
Either way,I haven't used an impact,I've only used a breaker bar.
Watch the procedure in a video that member paver has posted a while back in case you've missed it :

Old 11-06-2014, 08:18 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Spartan
Umm yes you can. 993, 964 and any other metzger case engine is designed to be lifted by the engine. It's in the Porsche tech manuals and Porsche sells adapters to make it easier without mating the case.
As long as you're comfortable and Porsche says so,go ahead,I don't see a problem. I choose not to...
Old 11-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

I use a 6:1 torque multiplier and a 1/2" reversible digital torque wrench. Piece of cake.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:25 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

No Mike,I do not have jackstands that utilize the jacking point as the jack. I have Harbor Freight Pittsburg jacks-a steel one and a low profile aluminum. I have Black Jack 3 ton jackstands and 6 ton Pittsburg.
I invest a lot of money in high quality hand tools like SnapOn or Mac. Also in air guns and 780FT/pounds Ingersoll-Rand electric power tools. I have factory scan tools for most german brands I own. Because IMO that's where you need quality for working on cars.
Jacks or jackstands are there to lift the car and then support it,there's no brain surgery,a cheap one will do the same job as an expensive one. But a cheap socket will most likely strip a nut,as opposed to a SnapOn that will pull it out without a problem.
My point is,invest where it really matters...
you would get under a car with "cheap jackstands"???
Old 11-06-2014, 07:32 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
^agree, great design...especially for oil change...though I don't know if this includes 991GT3...yet!
unfortunately, not tall enough to comfortably get at a 997 trans lube change, clutch bleed, etc.
I asked John at JP to try to extend height, but?
Old 11-06-2014, 08:16 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GTEE3
you would get under a car with "cheap jackstands"???

Jackstands are jackstands,they are made of highly durable steel. I have 100% confidence to get under the car with them. You just need to make sure they are placed properly.

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
^agree, great design...especially for oil change...though I don't know if this includes 991GT3...yet!
unfortunately, not tall enough to comfortably get at a 997 trans lube change, clutch bleed, etc.
I asked John at JP to try to extend height, but?
Phil, they work great for oil changes in the GT3. Plenty of clearance for catch pans and to access drain plugs and filter.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2014, 09:58 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

^^
my point I am trying to make to those reading this tread that may be in the market for a new jack/jack stand is-PLEASE do not scrimp on any safety tool/product both inside and outside your car. Buy the best quality/safety product...you only have your health.
BTW, I use an AC 4400lb jack w/ two other back-up units (emergency), and Esco 6,000lb stands.

^
Mike, good info on the 991, and again thanks for your great DIY oil/filt change!

Quick Reply: Brunnhoelzl Jacks