Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How common are crashes at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 05:54 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of my de's have been at Lime Rock. If you go off track, there is no better place to do it for the most part as walls are not an issue. I usually see incidents there at the beginning, usually red group with cold tires going off track. Red group is also very competitive and incidents can easily happen. That is why I am considering a private club membership at Lime Rock. I can go out when I want and at whatever pace and never feel pressure or feel crowded from other drivers in a particular run group. If I wanted to race, I would get a race car. Maybe someday. For now, I just want to drive the GT3 in a spirited and safe manner on a track.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:58 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
The coverage figure is pretty close (I pay a little over 300 for a 55k agreed value) but it's per event which is typically 2 days duration. I did a 1 day event a while back and expected a reduction but no dice, they charged the same. Lockton.
I had the same experience with Lockton, the policy is for two days but I only did one. A little over $1000! (Coverage up to their maximum, 120k). Motivation to do both days.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Well, there is the whole idea that it's just fun and the only place to stretch a gt3's legs and appreciate the amazing engineering.

I've never timed a single lap. Probably never will.

The presumption that if you aren't trying to shave time off your laps and get faster, you shouldn't be at the track is the exact mentality that gets casual / amateur drivers such as myself in Trouble. Some people just want to go out and beat on the car a little, push it to 80% and not worry about a few seconds of lap time.

Different for everyone and while it might not make sense to you, I am certain it does to other people who go to the track.
The problem is that, as we gain experience and get relatively fast, for most of us there's a need to keep pushing to get a little bit faster (with correspondingly decreasing safety margins) since, otherwise, simply driving at the track faster than you can drive on the road isn't enough any more, it just feels like going in circles.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:50 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The problem is that, as we gain experience and get relatively fast, for most of us there's a need to keep pushing to get a little bit faster (with correspondingly decreasing safety margins) since, otherwise, simply driving at the track faster than you can drive on the road isn't enough any more, it just feels like going in circles.
I'm in this camp too. If I don't know the track I'm very cautious but, when I do, I keep pressing for faster lap times. It never ends. Gotta get a grip! Allan
Old 10-31-2014, 10:58 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I think that depends on how often you track,. If I join AMP, for example, and go out with little traffic more often, then I can see myself pushing to get faster.

But a DE every 3-4 months at a track I only know a little - I'm not going to go hard. But again, that's just me...
Old 10-31-2014, 11:01 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Crashes are pretty infrequent at my local track www.highplainsraceway.com

Not many walls and good run-off area helps a bunch...
Old 10-31-2014, 11:39 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
I think that depends on how often you track,. If I join AMP, for example, and go out with little traffic more often, then I can see myself pushing to get faster.

But a DE every 3-4 months at a track I only know a little - I'm not going to go hard. But again, that's just me...
Yes, I agree. I don't think it's a bad plan at all to go to the track less often, take it a bit easy, progress more slowly, and just have fun. My point was that some of us are past the point of being able to go back to that, Pandora's box has already been opened.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:16 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with others who postulate that the frequency of impact is highly track dependent. My home track (NOLA) has huge runoff areas and the few walls that do exist are a good distance away from the track surface. I'd guesstimate that we have no more than one crash per four weekends in the DE groups, and it's usually car-to-wall impacts, usually when the grass in the runoff zones is very wet. In the race groups, car-to-car contact is a bit more prevalent, but even there I'd say it's no more than one incident per two weekends. At a place such as Road Atlanta, where walls are everywhere and right up against the track in many places, the odds of hitting something have to be worse.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:21 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
A good way to discern these statistics is by looking at the price of track insurance. Someone with a current track insurance can confirm but IIRC* $300-400/day buys (low deductible) coverage on about $40-50k agreed value. So daily coverage costs about 0.8% of the covered value. Subtract from that an approx 20% margin for safety and profit and the break-even cost ends up being around 0.7% of the insured value yielding a chance of total loss of about 0.7/100 = 1/142 (so 1 total crash in 142 days). If someone can provide actual numbers, and an estimate for the profit margin, we could get a more precise number.

*I'm self-insuring which may change if 6gt3's keep going up in price
If you change the price to $400 per weekend, then your numbers roughly tie to the anecdotal reports of one crash per DE weekend: If the odds of a crash are 1/142 per track weekend per car, then a typical DE with roughly 120-140 cars will have roughly one crash per weekend.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:13 AM
Garkmarl
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a member at AMP I find our track to be rvery safe as long as you properly warm up your tires and brakes and use proper point byes.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:39 AM
kon5t
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
One a day usually in NorCal

In adv it's mostly red mist related from my experience
One per day, and you can usually tell who it is going to be if you just stand by and check the driving styles. The person who looks like he has something to prove, is usually the one that runs out of talent quickest.

Drive around them, let them pass and get into trouble all on their own, is the recipe for driving your car home at the end of the day.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:21 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Today @ Sonoma

One totaled
One banged up pretty bad

Couple spins
Old 11-01-2014, 11:36 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Crashes are pretty infrequent at my local track www.highplainsraceway.com

Not many walls and good run-off area helps a bunch...
They do happen though. Theres a video out there of a Boxster rolling at the end of the straight, and of course last year there was a death in the club race I believe.

I will soon have my GT3 out there without question.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:10 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Today @ Sonoma

One totaled
One banged up pretty bad

Couple spins
Which run groups were the damaged cars in? I have a guess...
Old 11-02-2014, 10:56 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Intermediate - totaled in the eases - I had given the guy a ride along just prior and I think he was a tad over eager unfortunately. Had never had that happen before (give ride along, guy then goes out and totals his car) the track was cold and I was catching lots of slides with him onboard

Advanced - and also clueless driver who never checked rear view

Hooked on driving is good in that it's more $$ so fewer yahoos - that being said there was a blue 458 out with us turning at best 215s and literally road blocking everyone even the fiat 500 out there so they don't police what groups people should be in

Quick Reply: How common are crashes at the track?