Sponsored by:

Ceramics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 06:26 PM
HGM 10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have pccb and they are by far better than steel,
if you have not try them both, you really cant say nothing about it. Pccb stop and perform miles better than steel... If you can not get pccb on a gt3 just get a carrera...
Drive safe.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:32 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
now you tell me after I already spent the $9k! :-) I am a PCA member, I will take a look...

I would have done it for no brake dust and to be different... I have never had them before... many Porsches, always the irons, no problems for sure... we will see if this becomes my only set or if I like them for street spirited driving in the TX hill country!
You'll still love them. They'll look awesome and will work just fine for your intended use.

Originally Posted by HGM 10
if you have not try them both, you really cant say nothing about it. Pccb stop and perform miles better than steel... If you can not get pccb on a gt3 just get a carrera...
Drive safe.
You don't have a clue. I've got a bridge to sell you...
Old 10-18-2014, 06:39 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Drive safe.
Originally Posted by orthojoe
You don't have a clue. I've got a bridge to sell you...
Before you go off on some long winded, bag full of hot air response full of garbage and marketing nonsense, please go back and read some threads on this subject. You may actually learn something.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:49 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive safe.
Absolutely not true....did you measure your stops vs steel? I have now driven both extensively and have absolutely nothing against PCCB but the steels offered on this car are good enough for most drivers. Sure if you track the car substantially, the stock steel or ceramics won't be acceptable but either set are great stock setups for autocross or DD. I quite frankly am tired of so many bashing the stock steel setup...what the hell are you using as your baseline as far as a factory set goes? PCCB have a lot of benefits that have been discussed around here millions of times and they are all true but this doesn't mean that the steels are horrible....I have not been able to pull any shorter stopping distances out of PCCBs myself after repeated hard braking side by side.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:54 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Absolutely not true....did you measure your stops vs steel? I have now driven both extensively and have absolutely nothing against PCCB but the steels offered on this car are good enough for most drivers. Sure if you track the car substantially, the stock steel or ceramics won't be acceptable but either set are great stock setups for autocross or DD. I quite frankly am tired of so many bashing the stock steel setup...what the hell are you using as your baseline as far as a factory set goes? PCCB have a lot of benefits that have been discussed around here millions of times and they are all true but this doesn't mean that the steels are horrible....I have not been able to pull any shorter stopping distances out of PCCBs myself after repeated hard braking side by side.
I think this is absolutely true...

I don't have experience with the PCCBs yet. Some here do. But lots of experience with the iron brakes and except for the brake dust, rusting (cosmetic) and occasional squealing (expected), I have never had any issues whatsoever. This dates back to the brakes on my 993 cars, which weren't even "big reds" (in the case of my C2S)... Porsche iron brakes are unflappable.

I still think they weight a lot more than the PCCBs, but we have beat that horse to complete death
Old 10-18-2014, 06:59 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I'm not sure I understand. According to what you write:
The greater the ratio of sprung/unsprung, the greater the impact.

Therefore, a 5000 pound car will have a greater improvement in acceleration from a 40 pound unsprung weight loss than a 500 pound car with a 40 pound unsprung weight loss. Intuitively, that doesn't make sense to me. I would like to read more of the details on this. My guess is that there is some variable that is not being mentioned.
I'll have to see if I can dig up the paper as it's old and I can't remember who wrote it.

That example is pretty hard to prove the point as it's very hard to achieve that type of reduction on a 500 pound car, but using a 3500 lb car vs a 2500 lb car you can see the ratio shift, assuming a 40 lb reduction in unsprung.

991:
Unsprung/Corner 110 100
Total Weight 3500 3460
Sprung/Corner 765 765
Ratio 6.954545455 7.65
Ratio Change 0.695454545

Spyder:
Unsprung/Corner 100 90
Total Weight 2500 2460
Sprung/Corner 525 525
Ratio 5.25 5.833333333
Ratio Change 0.583333333

Is the ratio change difference between 0.58 vs 0.69 enough to feel the difference? I don't know, but it is a bigger change
Old 10-18-2014, 07:11 PM
HGM 10
Advanced

the thing is here i can drive my car over 150 mph everyday on roads tracks and freeways and the way pccb's perform it is just amazing, after several laps on or twisty roads of braking you get the felling that the car doest hesitate to stop, you don't have to put a lot of pressure on the brake pedal, or being worried about stoping trajectories in order to make a better turn, you feel more confident in coming to a fast corner with pccb's vs steel because of the fade and HEAT on the rotors and pads, So yes PCCB's are better than steel.
im not trying here to debate or be against you feeling or thoughts on how you drive and feel the road.
I'm just trying to explain how the brakes perform for me.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:16 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the thing is here i can drive my car over 150 mph everyday on roads tracks and freeways and the way pccb's perform it is just amazing, after several laps on or twisty roads of braking you get the felling that the car doest hesitate to stop, you don't have to put a lot of pressure on the brake pedal, or being worried about stoping trajectories in order to make a better turn, you feel more confident in coming to a fast corner with pccb's vs steel because of the fade and HEAT on the rotors and pads, So yes PCCB's are better than steel.
im not trying here to debate or be against you feeling or thoughts on how you drive and feel the road.
I'm just trying to explain how the brakes perform for me.
If pccb did not cost $16-$20k for rotors on all 4 corners, I would be with you. Talking track. If you never track your car and doll it in the street, the rotors could last a lifetime depending on mileage.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:19 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sure the steel brakes are excellent--would never bash them--but not really the issue in my mind. There are also many good reasons for having them for hard core racing uses--do not argue with that a bit. But the adamancy of the hard core racers saying that the lighter unsprung weight cannot have any impact on road performance absolutely baffles me when I know I have felt it when changing wheel weights on other cars. It's almost like they cannot concede that the choice of brakes they made (albeit for good reason) may have involve a small, although noticeable performance trade off.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:23 PM
HGM 10
Advanced

Totally agree with you, but it seems sometimes in forums people just talk not really knowing the pros and cons of certain thing.... if you just going to be driving the car normally you don't have to spend those extra bucks on brakes but that does not mean that people have to say pcc's are not that good for what they cost so yes I'm with you on this one.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:32 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LAGinz
But the adamancy of the hard core racers saying that the lighter unsprung weight cannot have any impact on road performance absolutely baffles me when I know I have felt it when changing wheel weights on other cars. It's almost like they cannot concede that the choice of brakes they made (albeit for good reason) may have involve a small, although noticeable performance trade off.
how do you drive on the streets then ? relative compliance with local speed ordinances ? If so, pccb will give you zero performance advantage. Wheel lightness factor is far greater than the brakes disc lightness factor in the whole scheme of things.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:39 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would wheel lightness be different in the scheme of things??
Old 10-18-2014, 08:15 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Christian, I know that you are an accomplished track driver. I am not. But modern Porsches weren't just made ONLY for the track. In fact, you are part of a probably minority cohort (cool kids) I think, that track vs street drive. I know this is a higher % for GT3 drivers, I am talking Porsche 911s overall. There are a lot of people that drive these cars on very open, unpopulated roads, highways, etc. To answer your question directly, when I drive in the Texas hill country west of Austin at 7am on a Sunday morning, it looks a lot like the "Feast for the Senses" video. The road is smooth, curvy, and I can very easily drive the car in a spirited manner, with lots of shifting, turning, accelerating, etc. and still be safe. I don't drive like an idiot, but I do drive fast if the conditions are right. Knock on wood, have never had an auto accident in my life. Not one. When I spend time with my friends in California and we go drive, its kind of the same thing. Head out away from the city and drive. I took a drive with Magnus Walker once before he was famous out there, he was trying to sell me one of his cars. I should have bought. Whole other story :-).
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2014, 08:49 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Christian, I know that you are an accomplished track driver. I am not. But modern Porsches weren't just made ONLY for the track. In fact, you are part of a probably minority cohort (cool kids) I think, that track vs street drive. I know this is a higher % for GT3 drivers, I am talking Porsche 911s overall. There are a lot of people that drive these cars on very open, unpopulated roads, highways, etc. To answer your question directly, when I drive in the Texas hill country west of Austin at 7am on a Sunday morning, it looks a lot like the "Feast for the Senses" video. The road is smooth, curvy, and I can very easily drive the car in a spirited manner, with lots of shifting, turning, accelerating, etc. and still be safe. I don't drive like an idiot, but I do drive fast if the conditions are right. Knock on wood, have never had an auto accident in my life. Not one. When I spend time with my friends in California and we go drive, its kind of the same thing. Head out away from the city and drive. I took a drive with Magnus Walker once before he was famous out there, he was trying to sell me one of his cars. I should have bought. Whole other story :-).
I do not want to suggest that anyone who buys a particular porsche model and doesn't track it should be discounted, mad fun of (poser) ect. I was in that boat the first year with my '04 GT3. I used a toothbrush to remove every bit of cosmoline coating on my crank case and various under car parts. I spent 16 hours scrubbing obessively only to compete in PCA concours event. Great fun and I finished second In my my class. It was raining when I drove up to the event in Saratoga Springs, NY in 2005. My whole point, you can go to the track with a garage queen and feel what this car is really capable of. I resisted like many till I did it. When I drove home from my first track day, car just as shiny as when I arrived...I hit nirvana....you cannot understand the potential and enjoyment of the car unless you try a DE event. There is no way on the street you can do that unless you are a blatant criminal. Do it, it's like being borne again and I am not religious.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I'll have to see if I can dig up the paper as it's old and I can't remember who wrote it.

That example is pretty hard to prove the point as it's very hard to achieve that type of reduction on a 500 pound car, but using a 3500 lb car vs a 2500 lb car you can see the ratio shift, assuming a 40 lb reduction in unsprung.

991:
Unsprung/Corner 110 100
Total Weight 3500 3460
Sprung/Corner 765 765
Ratio 6.954545455 7.65
Ratio Change 0.695454545

Spyder:
Unsprung/Corner 100 90
Total Weight 2500 2460
Sprung/Corner 525 525
Ratio 5.25 5.833333333
Ratio Change 0.583333333

Is the ratio change difference between 0.58 vs 0.69 enough to feel the difference? I don't know, but it is a bigger change
Very interesting. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Ceramics?