Sponsored by:

Harness for US Spec Cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 06:18 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harness for US Spec Cars

Since we can't get the Clubsport package on the car and since some of us have the buckets on order, how do we attach a harness on the car?

I'm not a fan of aftermarket roll bars/cages and I don't really want to get one on this car (mainly because I don't want someone cutting up my interior and trying to shove pieces of metal around).

Can we just use a four point harness and latch it somewhere to the backseat like at the ISOFIX (if it has it) or other point? Yes, I know it's not preferred and not as safe, but my primary reason to have this harness is just to be secured to the seat during track days.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:26 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Interested in the exact same thing for my incoming '15 with buckets!.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am interested as well for my buckets.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:56 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you need a harness bar at a minimum...to have the straps pulling from a floor mount at an angle through the seat holes is a bad safety thing. Two options as I see it. A good harness bar or an after market roll bar if you want to use harnesses in the car.

The safety concern I believe has to do with spinal compression in an accident...if the force pulls down at an angle rather than parallel back with the shoulders, the spine suffers.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by nlpamg
Since we can't get the Clubsport package on the car and since some of us have the buckets on order, how do we attach a harness on the car?

I'm not a fan of aftermarket roll bars/cages and I don't really want to get one on this car (mainly because I don't want someone cutting up my interior and trying to shove pieces of metal around).

Can we just use a four point harness and latch it somewhere to the backseat like at the ISOFIX (if it has it) or other point? Yes, I know it's not preferred and not as safe, but my primary reason to have this harness is just to be secured to the seat during track days.
Go with 6-pt harness, please don't even consider 4-pt: http://www.ogracing.com/blog/2013/02...int or 6 point

If you don't want to get a roll bar (half cage), it should be possible to install a harness bar to take care of the shoulder belts, though I don't know of a prefab one currently available.

I'm still wondering, is there no way we can privately purchase the clubsport roll bar and have it shipped to the US? Or is there any aftermarket roll bar available in the US which is essentially identical to the clubsport bar?
Old 10-07-2014, 07:26 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Go with 6-pt harness, please don't even consider 4-pt: http://www.ogracing.com/blog/2013/02...int or 6 point

If you don't want to get a roll bar (half cage), it should be possible to install a harness bar to take care of the shoulder belts, though I don't know of a prefab one currently available.

I'm still wondering, is there no way we can privately purchase the clubsport roll bar and have it shipped to the US? Or is there any aftermarket roll bar available in the US which is essentially identical to the clubsport bar?
I bet carnwal will have the CS bar available for us export eventually.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:00 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

GMG and RSS have historically made very high quality pieces. I would consider going that route. Plus they are deemed OK by PCA and others if you plan on tracking the car. You will not pass tech if you show up with some home made rigged up contraption. They will likely force you to wear stock 3 point belt in most cases.

Now if you just want to look like Speed Racer in your fancy new car, and don't ever plan on tracking, you car do whatever. Plenty of poseurs out there. Haha

Old 10-07-2014, 08:04 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Supposedly the Euro cars have mounting points under the carpet for the clubsport that could be used for the 6 point belts I thought I read??
Old 10-07-2014, 08:12 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

What about the anti-sub strap bars? On the GT2 seats, you had to order the sub strap bars from BK. They didn't come with the sub strap bars from the factory, and there were no OEM bars
Old 10-07-2014, 09:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
you need a harness bar at a minimum...to have the straps pulling from a floor mount at an angle through the seat holes is a bad safety thing. Two options as I see it. A good harness bar or an after market roll bar if you want to use harnesses in the car.

The safety concern I believe has to do with spinal compression in an accident...if the force pulls down at an angle rather than parallel back with the shoulders, the spine suffers.
Originally Posted by orthojoe
What about the anti-sub strap bars? On the GT2 seats, you had to order the sub strap bars from BK. They didn't come with the sub strap bars from the factory, and there were no OEM bars
Exactly, rockitman.

Brey Krause made a harness bar for the 997, but doesn't list one for the 991. I don't know of another manufacturer who makes them, so that may mean a roll bar or half cage. Joe is right about the sub strap bar; Porsche made one for the GT3 seats but not the GT2 buckets. I bought one from Brey Krause for my 997 and they still list it, but whether it will fit the new 991 seats is an open question.

On the GT2 seats, the harness lap belts attached to the same mounting point as the factory belts...a post on the seat frame itself as per the pic below. Schroth makes a 6 pt harness set with eyelets on the lap belts that are designed to attach to the seats in that location. Again, no telling if the arrangement will be the same with the 918 seats.

Lot's of interesting issues for first adopters of the new seats.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mike in CA; 10-07-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:02 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Harness truss

I just spoke with Brey Krause today. I was inquiring if they intend to produce a harness truss for the 991 GT3. The answer was, "yes, just as soon as we can get our hands on a GT3." They are in PA.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:11 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Cormid
I just spoke with Brey Krause today. I was inquiring if they intend to produce a harness truss for the 991 GT3. The answer was, "yes, just as soon as we can get our hands on a GT3." They are in PA.
Awesome! I hadn't seen those before. Those look like the right solution for a moderate track use 991 GT3 rather than an entire tubular roll bar back there. It looks like the harness bar / harness truss can be un-bolted relatively quickly in the vent you want to use the rear area for storage on a trip (bonus).
Old 02-18-2015, 01:29 PM
ChrisSmithRacing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most difficult points with running a harness with no bar is the mounting points. We personally will not mount harnessing to the seat or seat frame. If in some sort of hard impact the seat pulls out of the car, you don't want to go with it. Harnessing in our cars is always mounted to the body. Unfortunately that means drilling into the chassis for the center lap belts. We are currently about to fit some 6 point harnesses into a 2015 GT3 with buckets but this car does have our half cage for the upper and side mounting points. We are looking at how to mount the center belts while doing as minimal modifying to the car as possible. There's always a price to pay to be properly safe in a car, especially on track.

Also be advised, you will have to cut a hole in the bottom of the factory passenger bucket to fit a 6 point harness if that's your plan. The driver's seat has a hole, but the passenger seat does not.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Cormid
Originally Posted by Mech33
Awesome! I hadn't seen those before. Those look like the right solution for a moderate track use 991 GT3 rather than an entire tubular roll bar back there. It looks like the harness bar / harness truss can be un-bolted relatively quickly in the vent you want to use the rear area for storage on a trip (bonus).
I initially had a BK harness truss in my 997. I don't recommend it. Because of the seats, it's NOT easy or quick to install and remove. If you're thinking about the truss, just get the roll bar instead.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:34 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Based on the interest here (me included) -- for whomever/whatever we decide is a safe, cost effective solution -- we should do a group buy...

... I would be interested in a simple harness bar for a 4- or 6- pt harness, without welding in a half cage, if that is possible...

..am sure more experienced track rats here who now have 991 GT3's will chime in. BTW my car has the standard seats - am sure those with buckets may/will have a simpler or easier solution...

Quick Reply: Harness for US Spec Cars