Sponsored by:

Proper New Rotor/Pad bedding procedure

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 04:46 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Proper New Rotor/Pad bedding procedure

Seems like the procedure varies for type of pad whether racing, street or different manufacturers. What is the ideal procedure for the 991 GT3 iron brakes ? I want to get a nice even pad film on the rotors. Is it outlined in the manual ? I would appreciate advice so as to do this correctly right out of the showroom. A race track won't be an option for this procedure.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:56 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I would assume with test miles from the factory include brake bedding.....I could be wrong though
Old 10-07-2014, 03:12 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
I would assume with test miles from the factory include brake bedding.....I could be wrong though
hmm, never thought of that..Can anyone confirm ?
Old 10-07-2014, 05:56 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Seems like the procedure varies for type of pad whether racing, street or different manufacturers. What is the ideal procedure for the 991 GT3 iron brakes ? I want to get a nice even pad film on the rotors. Is it outlined in the manual ? I would appreciate advice so as to do this correctly right out of the showroom. A race track won't be an option for this procedure.
You are correct, most manufactures have their own procedure depending on brake pad type. I found the attached link to the StopTech article a good primer on the subject.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...ake-pad-bed-in
Old 10-07-2014, 05:58 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stronbl
You are correct, most manufactures have their own procedure depending on brake pad type. I found the attached link to the StopTech article a good primer on the subject.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...ake-pad-bed-in
I read that article last night too. Good info, still I wonder if this is done at the factory or should be done when the car is delivered new from the dealer ?
Old 10-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

PFC pads- no bedding needed I thought. Heat cycle- let them cool down- probably good to go.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The pads/rotors are not bedding in at the factory.

The pads/rotors do not need bedding in for general road use any more than for any other luxury vehicle you may buy.

The only way to properly bed a pad is to get enough heat into the annulus of the disc and this is realistically only viable/sensible at the race track or on a very clear autobahn!

Like most I had driven my car for many 1000s miles on the road before it was driven on the track. The first session on the track the brakes stunk as the gasses that bond the pad material were released from the hard braking the car had endured. The smell became no stronger that day and actually dissapeared and subsequent track days did not return. The pads and discs have been wearing excellently since. The pads/discs were finally bedded in after 5000km on two contents and 5 countries!
Old 10-08-2014, 11:10 AM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Macca: you're a champ and, as usual, a fountain of cool wisdom.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ken. No problem. I learnt most of this from a real brake guru the NZ importer/distributor for Endless pads. We had my track 993 with new big brake upgrade and Endless MX72 pads at the track for a shake down the same day as I took the 991 GT3 out for its very first ever session and had just been through the whole process with the 993. There is are three straights you are doing between 100-150 mile per hour around this short track then you have to brake real hard into a sweeper or a hair pin. Only tool 2 laps of doing that and teh 993 brakes were stinking and the discs going blue on the high heat areas. This is where I learnt from him all about the process of bedding in - he explained the process of what was happening and it was perfectly what should have happened. At that time 991 GT3 had 5000km on it of fast road driving but yet as such the pads had never really been broken in to the extent required on the track and the first hard session in that car sorted that problem out very quickly!

Quick Reply: Proper New Rotor/Pad bedding procedure