Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Looks Best With Standard Wheels, No Black Wheels, No Silver Wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 10:44 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by englebert
We got a cancelled order so had no choice. I think i would have chosen standard finish, but the black has grown on me.

Worth noting that early reports indicate the standard finish can chip after less than 1,000 miles!
I have not seen 1 report of this, not saying that it hasn't been but it could be isolated incident .....and if that's a common complaint on standard finish it will eventually apply to all 3 finishes they are prepped and painted same way.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:52 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i decided to go black wheels... thanks for all the thoughts... the englebert pics put me over the edge... with white and PCCB I think the black wheels look really sweet and although I cant explain why, I think you see more of the beautiful PCCB with the black wheels...
Old 09-27-2014, 11:38 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
Before I found an allocation, my gut was to go dark blue with black wheels. Once I got an allocation, I specced metallic white with standard wheels. I have contemplated agate but have since gone back to my original color scheme. I think I'd regret it if I didn't go with my initial spec.
I, too, specced dark blue with black wheels in my original build. I couldn't remain convinced, however, and have been changing my mind frequently. The final decider was seeing a dirty dark blue Carrera S the other day. in bright daylight I was convinced that it was black until I was driving right next to it.

Porsche's midnight blue from the 964/993 era was a better shade, I think.

Looking like white, red, or agate for me. Ok, maybe GT silver, too...

Vivian
Old 09-27-2014, 11:59 AM
jpowers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a bad choice in the bunch but I like old school silver.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

The Chips reported with the standard finish could /would of also of happened with the black or silver finished. So, the tendency for the standard to chip is still unfounded. It was reported which is important. But this gentleman also tracks his cars and drives them like they should so issues like this will always arise including some small chips you can get on the paint w/o a clear bra
Old 09-27-2014, 01:56 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The Chips reported with the standard finish could /would of also of happened with the black or silver finished. So, the tendency for the standard to chip is still unfounded. It was reported which is important. But this gentleman also tracks his cars and drives them like they should so issues like this will always arise including some small chips you can get on the paint w/o a clear bra
I cant speak to chips on any other finish, but on my 2011 gt3 the wheels are factory option black painted, and at 9k miles not a single chip on any of them...
Old 09-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Vivian
Funny you say that. I've been having second thoughts as well. My order locks in a week. The recent gt silver thread has me leaning towards that color.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:16 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
Vivian
Funny you say that. I've been having second thoughts as well. My order locks in a week. The recent gt silver thread has me leaning towards that color.
same dilemma here. bastards!
Old 09-27-2014, 03:33 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, some of those GT silver picks look pretty sweet.!! As someone, who has had a number of silver metallic cars over the years, there is a kind of ying and yang to them which may or may not apply to GT silver. In different lighting scenarios they can look spectacular. But in the absence of such lighting, they can look a bit dull and lifeless.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:21 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LAGinz
Yeah, some of those GT silver picks look pretty sweet.!! As someone, who has had a number of silver metallic cars over the years, there is a kind of ying and yang to them which may or may not apply to GT silver. In different lighting scenarios they can look spectacular. But in the absence of such lighting, they can look a bit dull and lifeless.
Yes, which is why I can't get Guards Red out of my mind when trying to decide between Rhodium Silver (my first choice - on certain days )

Quick Reply: White Looks Best With Standard Wheels, No Black Wheels, No Silver Wheels...