Sponsored by:

My seat choice

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 01:46 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
ouch, ya got me on that one. I'll admit it, I'm somewhat overweight, I don't really know what my waist is (I try to avoid thinking about that) but I do go to the gym regularly and my height is 6'5" and weight is 305. I'm trying to get it down but I love food and find it hard to eat healthy at all times...
No worries mate! We all enjoy a good meal.

Ryan
Old 09-20-2014, 02:39 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Lol.....I guess my car is out.....I went with the 18 way....it's going to be a daily driver for the most part with probably 10 track days a year or so.....I love the buckets but the fixed back is a deal breaker.....
When people say "daily driver" what does that usually mean? Not commuting with it in busy traffic every day, I assume.

If it mostly means back-country joy-rides, then the buckets will make a whole lot of difference vs. the sofas. Not to mention the 10 track days. Personally, I find my Euro 996 GT3 buckets to be the most comfortable car seats I've ever had, and that includes the dozen+ way adjustable comfiest sofas BMW offers in its 5 series. I've had the buckets in my Boxster and now in my 6GT3. Would not drive a Porsche without them, period.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:31 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
+1
Guys please get the buckets if you can. Hit the gym if you must.
There's aren't going to be many of these GT3s around, and even less of them could be fitted with buckets. I need a larger pool of used ones with buckets three years from now.
Love it--brilliant!
Originally Posted by jlanka
ouch, ya got me on that one. I'll admit it, I'm somewhat overweight, I don't really know what my waist is (I try to avoid thinking about that) but I do go to the gym regularly and my height is 6'5" and weight is 305. I'm trying to get it down but I love food and find it hard to eat healthy at all times...
I think the 18-way power seats are a good call for you, Jeff. I'm a bit shorter than you and a lot lankier, and at first it wasn't pretty seeing me get in and out of my OMP racing buckets in my Carrera S. Now I've gotten it down, but it requires significant flexibility to get in, and in order to get out you have to lift yourself out of the seat with your hands on the door sill and center console, kind of pommel-horsing out. Might be miserable for a big dude.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:28 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
When people say "daily driver" what does that usually mean? Not commuting with it in busy traffic every day, I assume.

If it mostly means back-country joy-rides, then the buckets will make a whole lot of difference vs. the sofas. Not to mention the 10 track days. Personally, I find my Euro 996 GT3 buckets to be the most comfortable car seats I've ever had, and that includes the dozen+ way adjustable comfiest sofas BMW offers in its 5 series. I've had the buckets in my Boxster and now in my 6GT3. Would not drive a Porsche without them, period.
I love mine...on My soon to be gone 996-3. The diff from what I can see in these new seats...is that there is no padding/bolster where the seat bucket belt slots are. That is the one area that is a bit tight in my lately...6'7", 240lb with 996 gt3 buckets. I am confident these new buckets for 991 will be wider in the pan and don't have padding for the belt slot bolster area, giving great relief for my hip/butt area. It looks that way to me in ze configurator.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:37 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
When people say "daily driver" what does that usually mean? Not commuting with it in busy traffic every day, I assume. If it mostly means back-country joy-rides, then the buckets will make a whole lot of difference vs. the sofas. Not to mention the 10 track days. Personally, I find my Euro 996 GT3 buckets to be the most comfortable car seats I've ever had, and that includes the dozen+ way adjustable comfiest sofas BMW offers in its 5 series. I've had the buckets in my Boxster and now in my 6GT3. Would not drive a Porsche without them, period.
I live in Western Mass so we don't have the busy traffic issues.....for me a dd is to and from work 3-4 days a week March thru Nov.....I usually work a couple of offices a day......one of the offices is an hour drive.....on top of that 10 track days....I have a weekend back country joy-ride car already but I'm sure this will take up some of those miles as well.....I have race seats in my other car and after sitting in the 18 way seats for me it was a no brainer.....I have a wide back from years of bodybuilding and after spending a couple of hours in my other car with the race seats my lats we're not feeling so great....trust me I wanted the buckets but I knew I would regret the decision for what I'm going to use the car for.....
Old 09-20-2014, 11:34 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 456 Likes on 252 Posts

FYI - while there may not be much of a difference between the seats I was told the GT3 seats are not the 918 seats and you would be much better looking at the ROW bucket seats...
Old 09-20-2014, 11:36 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
FYI - while there may not be much of a difference between the seats I was told the GT3 seats are not the 918 seats and you would be much better looking at the ROW bucket seats...
If they aren't the 918 seats, what are they? The look the same.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:50 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe
If they aren't the 918 seats, what are they? The look the same.
Didn't take the time to try to get more info, but when I was with the 918 the other day I brought up the seats and was told that they are not the same. Sorry for not getting more info, just relaying what I was told. I was more interested in the 918. My interpretation was to not trust the photo on the website.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:58 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Didn't take the time to try to get more info, but when I was with the 918 the other day I brought up the seats and was told that they are not the same. Sorry for not getting more info, just relaying what I was told. I was more interested in the 918. My interpretation was to not trust the photo on the website.
Uhhh, I'm pretty it took some effort to get a 3D rendering of the new seats complete with gt3 logo in the configurator. Pretty hard to render the wrong seat on accident. If anything, the configurator is the best source right now. Not a SA.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:00 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

As if they could flat out admit to a 918 buyer/owner that the seats from their $1mm model could also be found in the pedestrian 911. The leather is probably coming from dehydrated cows and the carbon-fiber is probably only 90% "pure", at best. So totally not the same seats.

Last edited by hf1; 09-21-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:17 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My buddy who is submitting his build spec next week decided to go with the 4 way seat. He can order the buckets but his mind is set on the 4 way. Go figure that one. He just became a certified instructor and just got back from Porsche driving school and he said the 991-S that was fitted with the 4 way seat at school was a perfect fit for him. I tried to convince him to at least go with the 18 way. He also indicated his wife wouldn't be too happy with the buckets.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:18 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Just passing along what I was told...and it wasn't a dealership SA that told me. Take it for what you will. If the info I received was wrong the so be it. I can only relay what I was told. Maybe next time I'll just keep it to myself... Thought it might be nice to pass along some info I got from Porsche reps, not a dealer.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:27 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Just passing along what I was told...and it wasn't a dealership SA that told me. Take it for what you will. If the info I received was wrong the so be it. I can only relay what I was told. Maybe next time I'll just keep it to myself... Thought it might be nice to pass along some info I got from Porsche reps, not a dealer.
Didn't mean to suggests that you shouldn't have posted the info.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:33 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hf1
Didn't mean to suggests that you shouldn't have posted the info.
+1, but there's also nothing wrong with going through any new info with a fine tooth comb seeing as misinformation is rampant.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:48 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe
+1, but there's also nothing wrong with going through any new info with a fine tooth comb seeing as misinformation is rampant.
Fair enough.

Maybe it is just because I am tired after the drive back home from AL and the fact that I found out my order wasn't in the status the SA was telling me...

So believe me if the info was from an SA it would be the last piece of information I would believe at this point.

Quick Reply: My seat choice