Extended range fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 02:39 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Lol.

Dan (wonders if they will correct the spec sheet before some GT3 owner complains of a lack of rear seats)
At one time it also stated AWD - now that should be worth something!
Old 09-23-2014, 02:42 PM
kneman1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
A couple of weeks ago, I spent a lot of time reading every post in the GT3 forum from day one getting opinions on options from everyone that had an opinion to offer. I feel like I know forum members from having read so many posts. It really helped me figure out what I wanted, what didn't make sense, and what would be my ideal build. Whether it was the comment that the aluminum gas cap is plastic, that the Sirius wart on the roof breaks smooth lines, that extended leather door option is laughable, that the smoking option provides a clean lid, that stock wheels are beautiful, that PCCB while nice for not having brake dust and lower unsprung weight is not worth the money for stopping and replacement or that bucket seats while very pretty would not work for how I plan to use the car, forum member opinions helped me build my perfect car. Thank you every one!

I decided to add the extended gas tank after someone said in response to the concern about the extra weight at the track being a problem if the option were picked that the simple solution is to not fill the tank all the way up. Makes sense. Not having to fill up as often and being able to travel a bit farther between fill ups will be nice. It's about 3 gallons more than my Z that flashes empty warning at 17 gallons but really has 20 gallons.

That said, not picking the option isn't a big deal. Forget about it, you probably won't even notice the issue. If it really bothers you, install it later but, it is a pita to replace gas tanks. I had to replace a fuel sensor in my Z where the tank had to be pulled and I still hear something clicking because something wasn't installed properly.

Dan (thinks forgetting about it is best)
I would have to agree if it can't be added by the factory I won't do it. I don't want a clicking or squeaking noise forever.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:45 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Maybe I missed something, but your sales guy should be squarely to blame for missing this item. These cars sell themselves, they should make sure they offer incredible customer service by giving you good assistance when choosing options. My sense has been that they are pretty blasé about the whole thing, they know you're A captive customer and arent really trying to earn your business very much… But I digress that's a different thread
Old 09-23-2014, 04:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
just to confirm... the frunk space doesn't change because of the extended range tank correct?
Originally Posted by MileHigh911
It has to change. There is no other location for the extra fuel. I haven't read specifically, but where else would you find room??
Here's my understanding. The GT3 uses the Carrera 4 body but obviously without the AWD components. The unused space is therefore available in LHD GT3s for a larger fuel tank. Because of the placement of the steering mechanicals in RHD GT3s, the 90L tank is not an option in GB and other places where they drive on the wrong side of the road.

Disclaimer: I haven't personally compared a non-GT3 wide body car to my wide body GT3 with 90L tank to see if the frunk area is the same size. I know my frunk is slightly smaller than the frunk in a standard body 991.

BTW and FWIW, I expect changing out the tank would be an expensive proposition. Seems like a lot of trouble to get an extra 6 gallons of capacity. I've lived with 17 gallon +/- tanks in Porsches for years....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 09-23-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:15 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

I added this option to my build... thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by A430v
Has your dealership tried changing the car?... I work at the dealership level. I've made changes to V210 cars before and sometimes PAG takes it - sometimes not. Depends on your luck. If it really is locked, not much you can do unfortunately.
When PAG accepted it at the V210 state, did the dealer order system automatically accept it, or did you need to escalate through another path?

My car just went V210 *2* weeks early that was discovered as the dealer was entering a small change (removing satellite radio), and they said the system seemed to accept it but weren't sure if it would stick since the status was V210.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:15 PM
kneman1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If accepted it will go through usually.

Quick Reply: Extended range fuel tank