Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Xpel was put on my LED's, no issues...
Old 11-07-2014, 10:25 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
So, after speaking with a few of my clear bra installer friends, we are no longer installing headlight protection on 991s, Boxsters, and Caymans. So far, our track record is perfect and we've not had any issues on the newer generations, but as we all know, in this case, risk is not worth the reward. Until we get word that Porsche has done something new about the coating on headlights, we'll be omitting this from our installs. Perhaps the new coating will prevent the yellowing of headlights that begins to happen a few years into ownership.
The yellowing was the decider for me. As I intend to keep the car long term, the fact that no problem would arise during installation wasn't critical. The fact that it would eventually yellow and need replacement requiring removal that was sure to result in delamination made me decide to leave the film off.

Dan (agrees with your new policy)
Old 11-07-2014, 11:36 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Tough choice, but I guess if you don't track your 991 Porsche then leaving it off is the right choice.

But if you do intend to track.....
Old 11-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Tough choice, but I guess if you don't track your 991 Porsche then leaving it off is the right choice.

Just put a temporary clear road tape over the lights on track if you're worried.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:38 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't cover my lights and paid a price...
Old 09-22-2015, 11:36 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
The yellowing was the decider for me. As I intend to keep the car long term, the fact that no problem would arise during installation wasn't critical. The fact that it would eventually yellow and need replacement requiring removal that was sure to result in delamination made me decide to leave the film off.

Dan (agrees with your new policy)
In case anyone is reading this old thread after a search, please note my position changed and, I decided to wrap the lights. Discussion here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post12377639

Essentially, the lights need chip protection and, if the UV coating is delaminated from a future pull of the wrap, the plan is to remove the factory UV coat, if necessary, polish the lenses and re-wrap with UV clear bra.

Dan (updates old opinion with current thoughts)
Old 10-30-2015, 08:00 PM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Xpel is on my older GT cars and this is a tough choice. Ruin the HLs with Xpel or with a marble hit from the GT2 that I have to tailgate because he won't yield. (My HL are covered with rubber.)
Old 10-30-2015, 09:26 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner

Originally Posted by Shahano
Originally Posted by hfm
In case anyone is reading this old thread after a search, please note my position changed and, I decided to wrap the lights. Discussion here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post12377639

Essentially, the lights need chip protection and, if the UV coating is delaminated from a future pull of the wrap, the plan is to remove the factory UV coat, if necessary, polish the lenses and re-wrap with UV clear bra.

Dan (updates old opinion with current thoughts)
Totally agree. No question in my mind that if you track the car, wrapping the headlights is a must. I did it both ways and Dan's solution to the UV peeling makes the most sense.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:40 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Like Macca said they do have a UV coating on them. According to my installer the 997s didn't have this issue. My guy is a great installer and sells his own cuts which he claims are much better than the Xpel precuts for the Porsches. I have no experience with either so I can't comment. But he just doesn't want to cover them because he is a perfectionist and if there is a hint of a problem he said he would hate to tell me that he just f'd up my new $156,000 car's headlight. I said "if the delamination problem only happens if you peel the film off, why not just leave the film on?" And he said, because sometimes when you are applying a gift wrap over a basketball there are times when some stretching and lifting and reapplying to get a perfect fit CAN delaminate the UV layer. He said it's just not worth it.
I know who you are talking about. I didn't come to him actually because he is not a perfectionist. He would tell me his job is protection not perfection and I quote. He is also way over priced.

Try Brett Miller from All american paint protection. His number is 301 704 9348.

He has wrapped all types of exotics and many full wraps on GT3s. He redid my turbo front 3x because he wanted it literally 100% perfect. And the flaws were so minimal. Like a tiny spec of dust that both his and my OCD eyes would see. Your guy when I asked him about this said if there is some dust that is unavoidable and I have to accept this.

Brett is also cheaper and uses his own cuts as well. He doesn't cut on the car, he precuts them using a machine unlike other cheaper installers who cut on the car.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:54 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahano
Same here.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:53 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

In my opinion, it is not the stretching of the film that would cause failure. The stretching is done prior to the adhesive bonding. It's the adhesive itself that wants to pull the coating away when removed.

Once clients are educated, they all specify that they definitely do not want film on the headlights. My advice is to pass on the opportunity to have film installed over those headlamps.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:43 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
In my opinion, it is not the stretching of the film that would cause failure. The stretching is done prior to the adhesive bonding. It's the adhesive itself that wants to pull the coating away when removed.

Once clients are educated, they all specify that they definitely do not want film on the headlights. My advice is to pass on the opportunity to have film installed over those headlamps.
Your point is well taken and what you describe is correct. However, if you saw how headlights from cars that are heavily tracked look, you will understand why some of us have a different opinion. When I didn't cover my headlights in the C4S, they looked shot and the only recourse would have been replacement of the whole assembly. I would not let them use the "regular" Xpel film for the car on the headlights. The Xpel film for the headlights that is precut and sold by Xpel (http://www.xpel.com/products/headlig...&submodel=3659) is MUCH thicker than the regular film (BTW, requires no stretching) and withstands rock bombardment well; so after heavy tracking, it only has minor chips that are barely noticeable. When I traded my GT3 in after 22 months of ownership and 13,000 miles (4,000+ of which are track) they looked great. There was zero yellowing as well and I live in Texas.

I am not trying to argue with you or dismiss your opinion, just posting my experience to help people decide for themselves.

Last edited by SamFromTX; 11-01-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Your point is well taken and what you describe is correct. However, if you saw how headlights from cars that are heavily tracked look, you will understand why some of us have a different opinion. When I didn't cover my headlights in the C4S, they looked shot and the only recourse would have been replacement of the whole assembly. I would not let them use the "regular" Xpel film for the car on the headlights. The Xpel film for the headlights that is precut and sold by Xpel (http://www.xpel.com/products/headlig...&submodel=3659) is MUCH thicker than the regular film (BTW, requires no stretching) and withstands rock bombardment well; so after heavy tracking, it only has minor chips that are barely noticeable. When I traded my GT3 in after 22 months of ownership and 13,000 miles (4,000+ of which are track) they looked great. There was zero yellowing as well and I live in Texas.

I am not trying to argue with you or dismiss your opinion, just posting my experience to help people decide for themselves.
I do not disagree with any of what you are saying. Ultimately, it is a choice for the owner to make once they understand the risks involved.

We have seen many tracked cars and I know what you're saying. One way to think about it is like this:

Historically, if your headlights get jacked up from track use, you are guaranteed to have the same thing on your new car. So do you accept that damage or do you roll the dice on ppf over the headlights, knowing there is a chance it could damage the coating OR may not have any damage upon removal?

That is a choice the owner should make. But if an installer sees an issue with the coatings coming off they have the same choice as to if their name goes on a potential issue. Lots of fun to be had on this sibject....
Old 11-01-2015, 03:09 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
I do not disagree with any of what you are saying. Ultimately, it is a choice for the owner to make once they understand the risks involved.

We have seen many tracked cars and I know what you're saying. One way to think about it is like this:

Historically, if your headlights get jacked up from track use, you are guaranteed to have the same thing on your new car. So do you accept that damage or do you roll the dice on ppf over the headlights, knowing there is a chance it could damage the coating OR may not have any damage upon removal?

That is a choice the owner should make. But if an installer sees an issue with the coatings coming off they have the same choice as to if their name goes on a potential issue. Lots of fun to be had on this sibject....
Makes sense.

Quick Reply: XPEL on GT3 Headlights