Sponsored by:

991 The Failed GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 09:12 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Count me among those that would laugh out loud at that plate, by the way. Awesome, even if I don't exactly feel the same way.
I was confident there were guys out there with a sense of humor, even if they don't agree with the direction that the 991 went.

I find it hilarious when people take a forum, which is supposed to be FUN, so seriously.

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Isn't Franz Mezger Hans' brother? Like the old Saturday Night Live skit - Pumping up with Hans & Franz!
That is the DMV's understanding, yes.

Originally Posted by Dude-
I remember dishing out 178,185.18 for this car only a few days ago. If some random douche bag comes along and tells me it sucks because there is no Mezger engine....... Yeah ...FMezger is pretty fitting from my point of view. I don't know which one is tasteless, the guy who tells me I wasted 178K or me defending my 178K.
Certainly we are all smart enough know that Fmezger is not directed to the genius Mr. Mezger but rather the nuckleheads that transform the name into a weapon to tarnishing the value of my car. I guess you have to have humor to see it.
Nice post.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's amazing how a couple of options at the dealer level can cost. Car + options + dealer options + tax. 178k is peanuts. Pccb would have bump it up another 10k + tax.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 383 Posts

Joe, that is awesome!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
Certainly we are all smart enough know that Fmezger is not directed to the genius Mr. Mezger but rather the nuckleheads that transform the name into a weapon to tarnishing the value of my car. I guess you have to have humor to see it.
This.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I am supposed to pick up my car on Monday when I return to Austin from a business trip. Should I refuse delivery? I have no deposit on the car. Were Evo's car of the year and other accolades all bogus?

/sarcasm
This week Autocar Magazine did a review of the 458 Speciale and thought it is one of the best Ferrari's ever built. The gave it five stars. However in summary this is what they wrote;

"A spine-tingler. Worthy of five stars even if we mildly prefer Porsche's 911 GT3..."

"A Porsche 911 GT3 is almost as incredible to drive, more habitable and half the price. Track-biased cars with roofs don't get better."

ENOUGH SAID!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:31 PM
TrackFan
Banned

I have nothing bad to say about the car. What confuses me is why they're stopping production if it's such a good seller?

Porsche doesn't like money all of a sudden?
Old 08-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by TrackFan
I have nothing bad to say about the car. What confuses me is why they're stopping production if it's such a good seller?

Maybe because it was always intended as a low volume car? Anyway, just look at the content and pricing compared to other models in the lineup. It's not for nothing that everyone keeps saying the car is a screaming bargain. Porsche can use their limited production capacity to make and sell cars with even higher profit margins than the GT3.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by RINGMEISTER27
Does anyone else think this generation GT3 may not be able to sustain any positive reputation or value in the future? It's been nothing but a dark cloud. How could this model ever be desired again?
Valid post.
It remains to be seen. Porsche moved into the automatic, non race proven world with many similar offerings. They had a big debacle with engines and track driven issues...

it may not be able to sustain value like any previous GT3.

Time will tell.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:06 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Mike......Why limit it so much? You'd think they'd want to sell one to everybody who wants one.

Someone who wants a GT3, and can't get one isn't going to settle for any other car in the lineup. They'll just go buy a performance car for another maker.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:32 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I was going to save this for later, but this thread seems like the appropriate time to reveal.

I'll just leave this here:
Awesome. Love it. Very ingenious. Lighthearted and just plain awesome.

Originally Posted by ranger22
Here's the plate I considered for my old slow 997.2 GT3. Ultimately, I concluded that personalized plates are douchey and I'm never getting one again. But I thought this one was funny.

Having said that, I turned a built one down today but I'm told that I am next on the list for my own build.
Douchey? No no no, not douchey.

Chill, get a Vette.

To the OP, you are right, this car sucks. I keep waking up at night dreaming of driving it, I keep getting upset every time I drive into my garage because the drive is over and it is so slow that I'm always behind cars, after lapping them over and over. I hate what it did to me.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:41 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure which is more funny, the FMEZGER plate or that some people are actually upset about it!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:42 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

What Happened to Ring a Ding27
Old 08-22-2014, 11:53 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike......Why limit it so much? You'd think they'd want to sell one to everybody who wants one.
Because there is a big difference between talking about buying and actually buying.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:40 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Someone who wants a GT3, and can't get one isn't going to settle for any other car in the lineup. They'll just go buy a performance car for another maker.
Trackfan, I'm just throwing this out there, but maybe it's that Porsche has capacity only to build so many cars (that's a fact), and they can use that capacity to build cars that are much more profitable for them than the GT3.

Also, the GT cars and other certain models have always been limited production. The same argument about building cars for "everybody who wants one" could have been made for any one of those. Makers like Porsche and Ferrari see an advantage in maintaining some exclusivity, and frankly it's a plus for the people who manage to get a hold of those models.

Maybe some people do abandon Porsche for other manufacturers, but others like me put down deposits on a new GT3 two years in advance because they missed out on the last one.

We can second guess their methods, but the fact that they are literally the most profitable car company in the world is some indication that they know what they are doing. Just my $.02.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 08-23-2014 at 03:10 AM. Reason: double word
Old 08-23-2014, 12:41 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm on the hunt.

I don't care what anyone says.

My black 13 S in my avatar asks me if I'd cheat on her. I tell her yes. But only with a 991 GT3.

I wake up realizing I was dreaming it was already in my garage.

Centerlocks and center exhausts call to me in the night.

I have never ever woken up in the morning and realized I had just dreamed about owning a new Corvette. In fact, I have never dreamed about the other Corvettes I have previously owned.

Bring on the RS so after I pick up my GT3 I have my next goal.

God Bless America!

Quick Reply: 991 The Failed GT3