New observations

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Smile New observations

After a month, now some insights and my own opinions:

Exhaust is nice but for me, it can be louder. I will install my Sharkwerks pipe to take care of that this week

No "Comfort" option was on my PCM under "Set Car" to get some kind of memory seat funtionality as some have posted.

I did order the bluetooth so i have phone connection. I don't know why it had to be ordered specifically, but I read a post about this topic prior to ordering my car last year and therefore specifically ordered it.

The car makes so much drivetrain noise when it is putting around town in auto, and the drivetrain is so hesitant, as this engine and transmission combo just does not like it. When I put it in manual mode, it is so much smoother and quieter. You have to drive it at least somewhat sportingly to not expose this flaw. Keep it at least over 2400 rpm as often as possible.

Car is so low. I had it "lifted" and came to a full stop in front of an incline at my house and then went up as slowly as I could and it still rubbed. Can't imagine without it. I would have to go get a new lip every month.

LED lights do not seem obviously brighter, but it seems to spread more much more evenly without bright spots of any of my PDLS-equipped car.

PCCB is awesome. Stops on a dime, no squeal, and no dust. Suspension reacts so quickly from bumps on the canyon roads I drive. The 40 pound unsprung weight difference makes the ride, stop and handle better in my opinion.

Stereo is OK. I have the Sound Package Plus which seems adequate. In cars like these I seldom turn on the radio anyway. HD radio is good. Satellite radio is good. Wish it had iPod functionality. It only has USB functionality when it comes to MP3 music.

Wing blocks the rear view mirror's view. Gotta look at the side mirrors a lot.

Engine is ridiculous. 9000 redline and so smooth. It loves to rev. Hates to lug.

Wish it had memory seats. I ordered the adaptive thinking I would get it. Oh well...

Summary: Drive it like you stole it!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Terrance, very nice review; it's great to hear everyone's feedback as they come to know the car.

One thing, regarding your comment about iPod functionality. Are you saying that PCM doesn't recognize your iPod? I plug in my iPhone 4S via the USB connection with a standard Apple connector cable and have access both to my music and Pandora. I can't think of why an iPod would be different unless it's an older model or something.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would have to agree with you on the stereo. I ordered the sound package as well but found the local tunes to be a bit analog. What I did was paired it and play radio out from my iPhone with Iheart radio appand the sounds a so mush crisper and cleaner. I personally think thats the best way to go if you are traveling so you won't have to lose reception. The iPhone Iheart is there no matter where you are.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:17 PM
Dude-
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Terrance, very nice review; it's great to hear everyone's feedback as they come to know the car.

One thing, regarding your comment about iPod functionality. Are you saying that PCM doesn't recognize your iPod? I plug in my iPhone 4S via the USB connection with a standard Apple connector cable and have access both to my music and Pandora. I can't think of why an iPod would be different unless it's an older model or something.

Mike, what plug? its all bluetooth so you don't need wires. Pandora, music, youtube...... what ever your iPhone plays, it goes straight to the speakers.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:21 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
Mike, what plug? its all bluetooth so you don't need wires. Pandora, music, youtube...... what ever your iPhone plays, it goes straight to the speakers.
+1

I wondered why as well. But I have the 5S. Not sure it is different from the 4S
Old 08-19-2014, 04:23 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Thank you. I need lumens. Xenons seem to be sufficient, then.

Originally Posted by Terrence
LED lights do not seem obviously brighter, but it seems to spread more much more evenly without bright spots of any of my PDLS-equipped car.

Summary: Drive it like you stole it!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Dude, I realize the phone can be paired and audio streamed via Bluetooth. However, I find that using a wired connection generally gives better fidelity than Bluetooth and on a long trip I can keep my phone charged as well. Admittedly, the GT3 is such an unsuitable venue for audio at freeway speeds, that it probably doesn't matter that much.

Also, the OP's original comment was regarding his iPod and not all iPods have Bluetooth.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,390 Likes on 721 Posts

Guys, I am confused now. I have the Loaner and I connect my Nano IPod to the USB port in the glove compartment.

Do I still have this feature in the GT3?
Old 08-19-2014, 04:59 PM
Dude-
Pro

Originally Posted by Terrence
The car makes so much drivetrain noise when it is putting around town in auto, and the drivetrain is so hesitant, as this engine and transmission combo just does not like it. When I put it in manual mode, it is so much smoother and quieter. You have to drive it at least somewhat sportingly to not expose this flaw. Keep it at least over 2400 rpm as often as possible.

:

LOLOLOL..... this is my first GT3 and I thought the noise was a good feature in relation to making it feel like a race car. Stupid me.
At the end of the day, I kind of like it. That jerky, whinny, rattlely effect feels like an overpowered car on a first gear crawl.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Guys, I am confused now. I have the Loaner and I connect my Nano IPod to the USB port in the glove compartment.

Do I still have this feature in the GT3?
Yes.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

It is a race car and like most race cars it has that idling sound as though the engine was going to drop from the chassis or several bolts and screws will fall.

I don't have the lifter and I have had a few scrapes but to date nothing noticeable on the splitter. As I posted much earlier, we all will get our fair share of scrapes lifter or not.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOLOLOL..... this is my first GT3 and I thought the noise was a good feature in relation to making it feel like a race car. Stupid me.
At the end of the day, I kind of like it. That jerky, whinny, rattlely effect feels like an overpowered car on a first gear crawl.
Totally agree. The slipping of the clutch and the coffee grinder noises are features of all GT3/RS I have owned with lightweight flywheel & clutch and I really like this part of the driving experience. Its actually noiser in my 993 RS spec with LWFC. I dont find issues with hesitation etc in auto but maybe Ive just got used to it after 3000 miles.

The stereo is crap when playing ipod if Im honest - but its a GT car so doesnt really concern me. I now use CDs exclusively for my music in the car and it sounds much much better. I didnt realise how much fidelity I was looking with mp3 tracks.

The comment on PCCB I find curious. Unless you have driven the steel braked version extensively how can you compare? As discussed in a previous thread we arent talking 40lb weight savings here and frankly youd have to be Senna or Dario Franchetti to notice the difference on the road I would imagine. Regardless to how nice they are they arent for me as my GT3 will see extensive track duty....

All IMO of course...
Old 08-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

I can't see my playlist. It just shows a large collection of songs. Like plugging in a USB drive that has no folders.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,390 Likes on 721 Posts

Quick off thread question. Can you pull up to a stop light and pull both paddles in and give the car a good rev like if it was a stick shift?
Old 08-19-2014, 06:05 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts
Default Yes you can!

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Quick off thread question. Can you pull up to a stop light and pull both paddles in and give the car a good rev like if it was a stick shift?
Or at least in my Cayman S loaner 2014 you could.

Quick Reply: New observations