Sponsored by:

Warranty Question? HELP???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 10:09 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Warranty Question? HELP???

I bought a 2014 Cayman S to run while the GT3 was awaiting its heart transplant.

I'm getting ready to sell the Cayman and want it perfect. The front driver's side brake caliper leaked brake fluid and permanently discolored and stained the red brake caliper.

The car only has 1300 miles on it and I've never swapped brake fluid, so I never touched the brakes.

The dealer said this is usual for cars that are tracked and it isn't covered by warranty?

I've been tracking for 12 years and have run more cars than I care to admit and I've never heard of any car considered to be normal bleeding brake fluid?

Since this forum houses so many track rats, I'm curious on all of your thoughts?
Old 08-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

What BS. The dealer is simply using tracking as an excuse for not honoring the warranty. I suppose it's too late to tell him you haven't tracked the car....
Old 08-09-2014, 10:31 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

You never said whether or not you did track the car?
Old 08-09-2014, 11:15 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Can you go to another dealer?
Old 08-09-2014, 11:30 PM
est8esq
Racer

Originally Posted by parkerfe
You never said whether or not you did track the car?
Yes, I did track the car. Ironically, the dealer charged me a premium to swap out the OEM pads for Carbotechs as well as Hoosiers in lieu of the stock tires prior to deliver.

So, to say they knew I was going to track it should be more like they helped me track it.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Regardless, tracking the car should not cause a brake fluid leak. The dealer is using tracking as an excuse not to honor the warranty. As suggested by 997TTMeteor it might be worth it to try another dealer and leave out the tracking story since it had no impact on your problem.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:38 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

You might want to take off the Hoosiers. Lol
Old 08-10-2014, 01:11 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

It's not like coolant or steering fluid boiling over from high temps at the track - calipers should never leak. Leaking means issues. It's either a defect or whoever tightened the bleed valve last did not do a good job.

I can understand the dealer because it's impossible for them to know that you did not screw up while bleeding the brakes, especially when most track rats bleed brakes rather frequently. But since you did not touch the brakes, I'd keep pushing the dealer or try another one.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
I bought a 2014 Cayman S to run while the GT3 was awaiting its heart transplant.

I'm getting ready to sell the Cayman and want it perfect. The front driver's side brake caliper leaked brake fluid and permanently discolored and stained the red brake caliper.

The car only has 1300 miles on it and I've never swapped brake fluid, so I never touched the brakes.

The dealer said this is usual for cars that are tracked and it isn't covered by warranty?

I've been tracking for 12 years and have run more cars than I care to admit and I've never heard of any car considered to be normal bleeding brake fluid?

Since this forum houses so many track rats, I'm curious on all of your thoughts?
I am shocked a dealer doesn't try to get this covered under a warranty. He is surmising it is related to tracking but has no evidence to show that. I would take the car back and demand the car be repaired under warranty. The dealer will have to bring in a Porsche regional service rep to support his declination of warranty coverage.

Declining warranty repairs puts the onus on the manufacturer to prove why they declined coverage. A generalized statement that you tracked the car is not sufficient to decline. They must show there is a connection between the forbidden activity and the part failure.

Finally, we know the GT3 has warranty coverage for track events as long as certain procedures are followed. Is that not the same for the Cayman? Does the warranty exclude any coverage if a result of tracking?
Old 08-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Sounds like it leaked from the bleeder (this is not uncommon from a track car). how about a picture?
Old 08-14-2014, 01:00 AM
est8esq
Racer

Originally Posted by Todd B
Sounds like it leaked from the bleeder (this is not uncommon from a track car). how about a picture?
That's exactly where it bled from was the bleeder?

I've been told by my tech that it's "normal" and that it's called "seepage."

I like my tech tremendously and trust most of what he says. However, even if I may admit I can hurt myself while using even a screwdriver, I can't help all my common sense warnings going off? It makes absolutely ZERO sense to me how or why because you track a car that you'd get seepage? Even so, why didn't any of the other three calipers do the same?

I'm picking my car up from the dealer tomorrow. I'll take pictures and post.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:36 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

This is unfortunate and looking at the big picture, it's actually a poor business move on their part. Too bad they don't have a sales guy that follows Rennlist or I'm sure the talk would get around. Especially the fact that you bought a Cayman from them while waiting on your GT3? How much more loyal could you be? Being a 40 year old I hate using a word like sheister but thats the move this dealer is making.

Take the Hoosiers off, put your wife in the car and have her take it to another dealer. Funny but I had a caliper leak all over and then onto the chrome on my silly 22" Escalade front wheel. It ruined the wheel. The truck was still under warranty but deep into 3 years and my local dealer balked at fixing the leak and replacing the wheel. I put my wife in it and had her take it across town to the another dealer and told her to try to be sweet. Sounds sexist but there were no less than 3 service guys offering a new wheel, detail and an Enterprise loaner. If I had taken it in they probably would have told me to pound sand again.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

^Good thinking

Quick Reply: Warranty Question? HELP???