Sponsored by:

PCCB vs STEEL STOPPING POWER

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Dlff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCB vs STEEL STOPPING POWER

Much has been discussed about PCCB & steel brake set up & never seems to end. I'm just wondering if any comparisons have been done on a back to back basis pertaining to their respective stopping power from say 60mph - 0 & 100mph - 0. I wonder which one will stop quicker. Cheers mate!
Old 08-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

^ I think tires have a big influence so if they have the same ones' I do not think it will be that much different. I think peddle feel and fade resistant would be better measures - but I am far from knowledgeable on this stuff
Old 08-07-2014, 03:55 PM
TrackFan
Banned

The lighter weight of the PCCB has to help a little bit everywhere on the track. Not just in braking.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:09 PM
ray09c2s
Advanced

I'm in my second DE season with (PFC cup rotors front, Turbo rears) steel, after changing out my PCCB and can't notice any difference in braking.....but must admit the first season I owned the RS, there was much to get used to after my '09 C2S with PDK.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:14 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd love to see them stick a pro driver in a car with PCCB and an identical car with out do laps with out knowing the car he is in. Would be interested to see the results, subjectively and objectively.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:38 PM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 54 Posts

I did the 2-Day Porsche Driving school several years back and drove Steels and PCCB's back to back for a few laps each. After a couple of laps I felt fade with the steels and none at all with the PCCB's. I never knew what fade felt like until that day. I was more confident braking later with the PCCB's due to the incredibly grip they had. Both were on Base 911 S models, so the GT3 Steels may perform better and maybe I wouldn't have noticed a difference. I've had both Steel & PCCB on my various 997 Turbos and couldn't tell the difference on the street. t don't track my cars, so my experience and opinion are pretty limited to this one session.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:46 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
I'd love to see them stick a pro driver in a car with PCCB and an identical car with out do laps with out knowing the car he is in. Would be interested to see the results, subjectively and objectively.
Wait, a scientific, blind study? But then what would the internet commandos whine about???
Old 08-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Wait, a scientific, blind study? But then what would the internet commandos whine about???
God forbid we want a Forum Troop invasion 😂
Old 08-07-2014, 05:44 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I don't know, but who would you have to whine about without the commandos?
Old 08-07-2014, 05:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,141 Likes on 2,898 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlff
I'm just wondering if any comparisons have been done on a back to back basis pertaining to their respective stopping power from say 60mph - 0 & 100mph - 0. I wonder which one will stop quicker. Cheers mate!
Both systems have way more than enough stopping power to lock the brakes at 60mph and probably from 100mph too. This is not the limiting factor in stopping distance - that would be tire friction and ABS tuning.

Bigger brakes are generally purchased for their higher thermal limits for racetrack use (still work well after many repeated stops, lap after lap).
Old 08-07-2014, 06:02 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Old 08-07-2014, 07:42 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
So true
Old 08-07-2014, 08:50 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a quote from another thread...

"So much of the (perceived) difference in PCCB vs Steel performance is down to the initial bite point....

with the stock ceramics & pads running a rather more aggressive set up in this respect.

you can replicate with steels by switching to a pad with a stronger initial bite....say PFC08s.

also found the ensuing of interest in the PCCB vs Steel debate, herewith courtesy of fioran0 on Pistonheads:

"Heres a graph from an independent brake test done on various cars. Of interest here of course is the 911 with and without PCCB. 350mm PCCB with 6 pots, 330mm Steels with 4 pots IIRC.

Each cycle contains 5 brake stops from 100mph - 0mph with 20 second gaps between the stops.
The first stop in each cycle was done using approx half brake force (0.5G) to measure pedal and the next 4 stops were done with maximum braking force (hence the panic stop label) from 100mph to 0 mph to complete that cycle.
This complete cycle was then repeated until fade presented itself (or i presume boredom kicked in in the case of the Porsches and Corvette).

You will note that the Steel and PCCB cars perform the same and without fade even after almost 50 repeat stops. You can see the BMW progressively loses its brakes from 4th cycle onwards and the Nismo Z hits full fade midway through cycle 3. I believe the Porsches were on Pirelli P Zero, the Vette on Goodyear Eagle." "
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2014, 09:02 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Now that being said, ultimate stopping is limited by tire adhesion over brake torque. Anyone can jump in a random econobox without ABS, get to speed and jump on the brakes resulting in full lockup.

What you really want from a high performance braking system is modulation. The ability to get the needed brake torque at a moments notice, to allow the fine adjustment when holding the car on the edge of tire adhesion during threshold braking.

Ryan
Old 08-07-2014, 09:09 PM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Both systems have way more than enough stopping power to lock the brakes at 60mph and probably from 100mph too. This is not the limiting factor in stopping distance - that would be tire friction and ABS tuning.
Just because you can lock up the brakes, does not mean you can minimize the stopping distance for the given setup. I can not specifically speak to steel vs PCCB, but on previous jeeps I've had, I could lock up my tires, but had terrible stopping distance. By switching to bigger brakes, I greatly reduced the (still terrible) stoping distance and retained the ability to lock up the brakes. All other factors remained the same.

Quick Reply: PCCB vs STEEL STOPPING POWER