On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only. - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Reply

Old 07-06-2014, 10:31 PM
  #31  
SamFromTX
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SamFromTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,126
Default

Originally Posted by est8esq View Post
This was taken back in January.

I'd suggest fast forwarding past the warm up lap.
Nice! No buffeting, did you use the regular enclosure (not the skeleton)?
SamFromTX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:50 PM
  #32  
MaxLTV
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
MaxLTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Vancouver and San Francisco
Posts: 2,304
Default

Originally Posted by SamFromTX View Post
Very nice, Max. Do you have stock alignment? On the track, and to get full benefit from the PSC2, the car needs a lot more negative camber.
I have -2.7 front and -2.2 rear, zero toe. The wear seems even.

If I recall correctly, you wore out a set of PSC2s. How did they reach the end - cording (outside or inside), chunking or heat-cycling out?
MaxLTV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:53 PM
  #33  
stujelly
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
stujelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 2,229
Default

Originally Posted by est8esq View Post
This was taken back in January.

I'd suggest fast forwarding past the warm up lap.

Sebring Winterfest January 2014 - YouTube
Stock exhaust??
stujelly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:08 AM
  #34  
est8esq
User
 
est8esq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 366
Default

"Stock exhaust??"

Yes, everything stock on this video.

"Nice! No buffeting, did you use the regular enclosure (not the skeleton)?"

I'm not sure what you're asking about when comparing to the "skeleton?" I used a case that has the side input area open where I was able to attach a long mic extension. I then wrapped the mic end w/ tape to prevent wind noise and taped the mic under the engine compartment.

There's another thread discussing sound, but as you can probably hear, I'm not sure you can add to "perfection?"
est8esq is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:28 AM
  #35  
Macca
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Macca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 14,133
Default

est8esq

What's that thing looks like a hairy black vagina on top of your car? is that a decal?

Max. thanks for your video. You are new to 991 track driving right? I think your lines need work for a 911. Dont copy the front engined cars in front. Brake or accelerator - you only need to be part throttle when trailing or buttoning back if not comfortable with vMax. Come in wider on some of those corners do all your braking ins straight line - hard hard hard - then turn in when going slower than you would have thought and start winding the power on as you unwind the wheel exiting the corner, harder harder harder flat flat flat! Be good to get a 911 instructor to steer your car a few laps with you in passenger to understand what can be done. The 911 is oh so different to pilot fast than the M3 etc.

Ive just had my camber changed for track work. factory gear max out negative front camber -2.15" front and 1.54" rear. I have the geo sheet and can post, This guy sets up all my 911s for track and is very experienced.

Curious how you can get -2.7". you must have used spacers right or aftermarket adjustable lower coffin arms? I spoke at length with Chuck Moreland on this.

My thoughts are past -2.5 on this car too much for MPSC2 possibly. Need better R compound to take advantage of extreme cambers like Z214/221 Hankook or NY01 or DGZ03 (M2 compound) etc. That being said haven't punted mine around a track yet new engine just a few days ago and out of country. ...

Can you all post your geo please. Heres mine factory before and custom after. below that is factory specs from PAG given to my geo guy. Ill be experimenting it from here. Our tracks are shorter than yours but have way more elevation in general by observation...
Attached Images   
Macca is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:25 AM
  #36  
SamFromTX
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SamFromTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,126
Default

Hi Macca,
The rears went to -2.5 no prob. The fronts required replacing factory shims with beefier ones and making a change to the lower control arm bushings to get to -3.1. With that setup, tires wore incredibly even but I am compromising braking a hair or too. If driven on road ply, it will wear the insides rather quickly.
SamFromTX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:29 AM
  #37  
SamFromTX
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SamFromTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,126
Default

Originally Posted by MaxLTV View Post
I have -2.7 front and -2.2 rear, zero toe. The wear seems even.

If I recall correctly, you wore out a set of PSC2s. How did they reach the end - cording (outside or inside), chunking or heat-cycling out?
No cording. Very even wear especially to the front. Didn't heat cycle out yet but was probably close.
SamFromTX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:30 AM
  #38  
SamFromTX
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SamFromTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,126
Default

Originally Posted by est8esq View Post
"Stock exhaust??"

Yes, everything stock on this video.

"Nice! No buffeting, did you use the regular enclosure (not the skeleton)?"

I'm not sure what you're asking about when comparing to the "skeleton?" I used a case that has the side input area open where I was able to attach a long mic extension. I then wrapped the mic end w/ tape to prevent wind noise and taped the mic under the engine compartment.

There's another thread discussing sound, but as you can probably hear, I'm not sure you can add to "perfection?"
I see, you used an external mic. Very nice.
SamFromTX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:27 PM
  #39  
MaxLTV
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
MaxLTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Vancouver and San Francisco
Posts: 2,304
Default

Originally Posted by Macca View Post
est8esq

What's that thing looks like a hairy black vagina on top of your car? is that a decal?

Max. thanks for your video. You are new to 991 track driving right? I think your lines need work for a 911. Dont copy the front engined cars in front. Brake or accelerator - you only need to be part throttle when trailing or buttoning back if not comfortable with vMax. Come in wider on some of those corners do all your braking ins straight line - hard hard hard - then turn in when going slower than you would have thought and start winding the power on as you unwind the wheel exiting the corner, harder harder harder flat flat flat! Be good to get a 911 instructor to steer your car a few laps with you in passenger to understand what can be done. The 911 is oh so different to pilot fast than the M3 etc.

Ive just had my camber changed for track work. factory gear max out negative front camber -2.15" front and 1.54" rear. I have the geo sheet and can post, This guy sets up all my 911s for track and is very experienced.

Curious how you can get -2.7". you must have used spacers right or aftermarket adjustable lower coffin arms? I spoke at length with Chuck Moreland on this.

My thoughts are past -2.5 on this car too much for MPSC2 possibly. Need better R compound to take advantage of extreme cambers like Z214/221 Hankook or NY01 or DGZ03 (M2 compound) etc. That being said haven't punted mine around a track yet new engine just a few days ago and out of country. ...
I see what you are saying. Yes, I noticed that this car does not like trailbraking as much as M3. But it does not need it as much either.

I still see need for partial throttle - consider carousel (Turn 2) - a constant radius 180 turn. If I floor it in the middle of the carousel, I'll be going too fast for the diameter of the curve before I can track out. In shorter corners, it's possible to aggressively add throttle as soon as the nose points to apex.

My next track day is with Porsche Club, so I'll get some coaching and display of Porsche-specific lines.

The mechanic got 2.7 at the front without shims, just maxing out stock camber. He wanted to get -3, but decided that this is close enough because I'm planning to use street tires for now anyway.
MaxLTV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:30 PM
  #40  
TRAKCAR
Super User
Thread Starter
 
TRAKCAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 25,131
Default

Max, I'll be happy to show you what Macca means Thursday, don't waste time :-)

est8esq

What's that thing looks like a hairy black vagina on top of your car? is that a decal?
My thoughts exactly
TRAKCAR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:14 PM
  #41  
ChrisF
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ChrisF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Marin, CA
Posts: 3,032
Default

Originally Posted by SamFromTX View Post
No cording. Very even wear especially to the front. Didn't heat cycle out yet but was probably close.
How many track miles, days or sessions total?
ChrisF is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:59 PM
  #42  
Macca
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Macca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 14,133
Default

Originally Posted by MaxLTV View Post
I see what you are saying. Yes, I noticed that this car does not like trailbraking as much as M3. But it does not need it as much either.

I still see need for partial throttle - consider carousel (Turn 2) - a constant radius 180 turn. If I floor it in the middle of the carousel, I'll be going too fast for the diameter of the curve before I can track out. In shorter corners, it's possible to aggressively add throttle as soon as the nose points to apex.

My next track day is with Porsche Club, so I'll get some coaching and display of Porsche-specific lines.

The mechanic got 2.7 at the front without shims, just maxing out stock camber. He wanted to get -3, but decided that this is close enough because I'm planning to use street tires for now anyway.

Max. I dont think -2.7 is possible without changing something? At least Chick Moreland (Elephant racing) and my guy didnt think so - mine maxed out -2.15" but maybe that was the maximum while keeping the rest of teh settings in spec.

Can you post your geo? Id like to see the rear toe angles too?

Its really important with this car that the front toe and caster angles are not interfered with when changing the cambers.
Macca is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:52 PM
  #43  
est8esq
User
 
est8esq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 366
Default

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
Max, I'll be happy to show you what Macca means Thursday, don't waste time :-)



My thoughts exactly
OH MY GOOODNESS??? I just spit my drink out!

It's not a female part.

It's Kung FU Panda! You know, "There's NO secret ingredient."

Last edited by est8esq; 02-12-2015 at 10:27 PM.
est8esq is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:04 PM
  #44  
G55amg
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 178
Default

Originally Posted by est8esq View Post
OH MY GOOODNESS??? I just spit my drink out!

It's not a female part.

It's Kung FU Panda! You know, "There's NO secret ingredient."
Kung Fu Panda! Love it!
G55amg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:56 PM
  #45  
Macca
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Macca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 14,133
Default

Originally Posted by est8esq View Post
OH MY GOOODNESS??? I just spit my drink out!

It's not a female part.

It's Kung FU Panda! You know, "There's NO secret ingredient."
Yeah. Sorry about that. Not sure I would have guessed if you hadn't told me. It did look hairy tho so I was on the right track aye. Only suggestion to alleviate future comment would be move your gorpo forward next time LOL!
Macca is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: